Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers!

I have always used an independent optician, the one I use is family owned, can't fault them, never had any cause for concern.

last time i went to specsavers the glasses they gave me didnt feel right everything was slightly blurred they told me my eyes had to adjust my job at that time was a bus driver i realised something was not right when i was driving a bus up prince of wales road and a road sign outside the three feathers pub measuring about 40 foot wide was blurred it turns out specsavers had ac tually given me reading glasses never been back since

I can only assume your eyes have got no better since the 5/12/2012. I only opened this post to see why it had been resurrected, you are still wrong but I am flattered lol.

The building that Big W occupied did indeed used to be Homeworld, I remember it well.

You don't have to have your eyes tested @ specsavers to get your glasses from them.

Get a thorough test elsewhere & then take the prescription to specsavers for the 2-4-1 offer.

I've always done this & never had any problems with the glasses Ive had from them.

That's what I do too .

Specsavers in Hillsborough prescribed new glasses for my mum. When she went back, after 2 weeks trying to get 'used' to the new glasses, she was told that the reason she could't see properly, using the new specs, was that she had catatacts in both eyes.

You would have thought they should have told her that before selling her new glasses!

After she had her cateracts sorted, Specsavers re-tested her eyes, and wanted to charge her £40 for replacement lenses.

I then stepped in, (my mum is 84!) and Specsavers agreed to supply the replacement lenses at no charge.

Just my experience of them......needless to say I won't be going there!

We took our daughter there a couple of years back, to the one in Crystal Peaks. After messing around for ages with drops and things they told us that her eye sight was that bad they could only provide a prescription to half the strength she needed and referred her to the Children's Hospital.

After a couple of weeks of her wearing these glasses and myself and my wife feeling guilty about not having her eyes tested sooner the doctors informed us that there was nothing at all wrong with her eye sight.

Will never use them again.

We took our daughter there a couple of years back, to the one in Crystal Peaks. After messing around for ages with drops and things they told us that her eye sight was that bad they could only provide a prescription to half the strength she needed and referred her to the Children's Hospital.

After a couple of weeks of her wearing these glasses and myself and my wife feeling guilty about not having her eyes tested sooner the doctors informed us that there was nothing at all wrong with her eye sight.

Will never use them again.

Please remember that with situations like this, it is the optometrist that has made that decision, not "Specsavers". The optometrist was trained at university, not by their employers (the actual testing of eyes is not 'on the job training' and is strictly regulated).

Yes, Specsavers employed that person and you could argue about who they employ. It's possible at the eye clinic that your daughter saw an orthoptist rather than a doctor, or even another optometrist - no more/less qualified than who you originally saw at Specsavers. It's common for children to need drops during their eye examination to relax the focussing muscles, so I wouldn't call it messing about. However, yes there's a big difference between a huge prescription and nothing wrong with her eyes! Although I'm assuming that the optometrist referred your daughter to the eye clinic for further investigation, rather than just prescribing their findings?

I have never had a problem though I have never used the one at Crystal Peaks. I've always had great service and great glasses. My eyetest was between 30-45 minuets and they were very quick in ordering the lenses I needed.

My mother used D&A who said that she would be blind in her left eye within 6 months! We of course consulted her GP who referred to to an eye clinic and it was garbage! They had had several similar stories like this from the same D&A.

Specsavers is lovely. They have a lovely choice of frames and I've always received brilliant service. Hope the bad experience doesn't put you off next time.

After 10 visits to rectify problems with my new specs lost the will to live. Never again !

Staff were pleasant though............:

only 3 visits here. but same senario.

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 19:50 ----------

That's what I do too .

Thats what I am going to do from now on then!

Please remember that with situations like this, it is the optometrist that has made that decision, not "Specsavers". The optometrist was trained at university, not by their employers (the actual testing of eyes is not 'on the job training' and is strictly regulated).

Yes, Specsavers employed that person and you could argue about who they employ. It's possible at the eye clinic that your daughter saw an orthoptist rather than a doctor, or even another optometrist - no more/less qualified than who you originally saw at Specsavers. It's common for children to need drops during their eye examination to relax the focussing muscles, so I wouldn't call it messing about. However, yes there's a big difference between a huge prescription and nothing wrong with her eyes! Although I'm assuming that the optometrist referred your daughter to the eye clinic for further investigation, rather than just prescribing their findings?

There's nothing to argue about in my opinion. They were employed by specsavers and were there representing specsavers and acting on their behalf. Therefore referring to the business and it's employees as 'specsavers' as a whole is sufficient.

As for who we saw at the eye clinic I'm not sure of - in face we had a second opinion, much to the clinic's annoyance as we couldn't understand how the people at specsavers could had got it so wrong. In fact, we were at specsavers twice, the first day for a basic test and the second one for the drops to be administered as it was late in the day on the first visit. To walk away after all that thinking that our daughters sight was that bad over such an intense check-up only for the person at the clinic to spend maybe 5-10 minutes with our daughter and see nothing at all wrong with her eyes is worrying I think.

There's nothing to argue about in my opinion. They were employed by specsavers and were there representing specsavers and acting on their behalf. Therefore referring to the business and it's employees as 'specsavers' as a whole is sufficient.

As for who we saw at the eye clinic I'm not sure of - in face we had a second opinion, much to the clinic's annoyance as we couldn't understand how the people at specsavers could had got it so wrong. In fact, we were at specsavers twice, the first day for a basic test and the second one for the drops to be administered as it was late in the day on the first visit. To walk away after all that thinking that our daughters sight was that bad over such an intense check-up only for the person at the clinic to spend maybe 5-10 minutes with our daughter and see nothing at all wrong with her eyes is worrying I think.

They are employed by Specsavers, but also have an independent registration to allow them to practice. Without this registration, that they not the employers are responsible for, they are unable to practice as an optometrist.

Drops on another day is not unusual. Frustrating, but not unusual.

In absolutely no defence of what has happened, for someone to make a clinical decision in 5-10mins at the eye clinic is more worrying in my opinion! As you say, the optometrist at Specsavers made a decision after quite a long time and what sounds like a thorough examination, yet the clinician at the eye clinic said the opposite in 5-10mins? However, well done for insisting on a second opinion, something many people are too afraid to ask for.

I must stress, I am making no defence for anyone, just merely opening the conversation up.

In absolutely no defence of what has happened, for someone to make a clinical decision in 5-10mins at the eye clinic is more worrying in my opinion!

I don't agree with this at all. I'm sure the people at the eye clinic know their stuff a lot more than the person that was employed by specsavers. Surely sending her to the eye clinic is pretty much saying this is out of our league? We spend everyday with our daughter and would know if her eyesight was that bad. Therefore the 10 minute exam was a lot more efficient that that done by the person at specsavers.

Don't get me wrong - the second appointment at specsavers was not a problem. We would much rather take her there everyday if it was needed. However, to have gone through what you would assume was a very indepth examination and to have such a wrong result isn't very good at all.

We're not talking here about specsavers saying 'your daughter's eyesight is that bad we can only give her a prescription half as strong as needed' and then the eye clinic saying 'yeah, it's bad, not as bad as first thought, but bad'. We're talking pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum.

So basically I'm fully satisfied that the eye clinic got it right and the person employed by specsavers didn't.

What's important is that my daughter eventually got the exam she deserved and we know who to avoid in the future.