Shouldn't have gone to Specsavers!

I wonder if anyone can give a review of Specsavers, my partner has just been to the store at Crystal Peaks, I use D&A so was privvy to see the difference in the customer service etc..

First thing that struck me at specsavers was this conveyor belt approach, ok so I dismissed that, my partner hasn't had a test before so after having one at D&A I was expecting a pretty comprehensive one for him, the peripharal vision test, glaucoma then the eyetest , which took me nearly an hour, his took in total about 15 mins!- for everything

We were then taken back downstairs to choose glasses, this two for one deal.. ok so thats paid for and ordered, they arrived last night which he collected, they gave him a letter to read, you would have thought being long sighted he would have been able to say " OMG I can read it" but he couldn't and its blurred, this young woman said " it will take time to adjust ? .. I just said but you have done his prescription to compensate for the fact he can't read his newsapapers and books, and he can't read your print!.. answer " well if they arn't right bring them back" !! - so anyway he had them on last night night, he read his paper- there is a window of about 6 inches of being able to read a paper away from his face then its blurred..

The test at D& A had the full frame glasses on with different lenses manually taken in and out, and that took about 30 minutes, partner was asked to look through a machine at specsavers and lenses were flicked through that, I personally think the script is wrong, so we are going to go to D&A who have a half price offer on for eye tests, it will be interesting to see if the prescription is different! as we have the copy from Specsavers

A friend said last night, her glasses had spent more time back at specsavers than on her face.. has anyone else had problems?

£200 is alot for something thats not right... why don't men ever listen ? He went there because his mate got the buy one get one free !! argh:confused:

I used Specsavers Crystal Peaks for the first time last summer, having previously only gone to Vision Express for many years.

I thought Specsavers were far better and staff much more friendly. Also, they were the only place to make me a suitable pair of rimless glasses. I hate all these big bulky frames that are supposedly in fashion but love my ultralight rimless glasses.

I use specsavers and on a whole they've done an agreeable job, much better than Vision Express although I've never used D&A.

Yes they do try and force new pairs of glasses upon you by trotting you downstairs and telling you to pick some out, luckily the exit is also downstairs, I usually just leave when their back is turned. ;)

There are such things as "your local privately owned opticians" rather than the chains who operate a bit like McDonald's. My own local optician is extremely helpful, professional and knows most of his customers by their first name.

Reluctantly - I have to say that I've found specsavers best. Choosing glasses is a real chore for me, but I've always found staff at specsavers very informed and they always have time go into the details when giving advise. I had a problem with some specs I got from spec savers - wasn't sure if the prescription was correct, so I decided to visit a more expensive and reputable opticians for a second opinion. The advisors were nowhere near as patient and I was charged twice as much for replacement lenses that were no better than the originals - and were almost twice as thick despite being of the same index. I was furious. They didn't even see a problem with this - and gave me the impression that I was being fussy!

Give me good, patient, informed service and I'll be happy. I've always had that from spec savers, as well as excellent value. I'm a happy customer.

always gone to specsaveers, never had a problem.

been to others a few times but found specsavers the best.

dull

I too have nothing but praise for Specsavers on Pinstone St. The staff are very friendly and helpful. My eye tests have always been comprehensive and I never felt pressurised by staff. After sales service is also good, in adjusting frames, replacing a lens etc, all free.

I've used Vision Express, Specsavers and most recently D & A. I have found all of the staff to be pleasant and helpful but have had problems with every pair of prescribed varifocals I've bought. Only Vision Express got them right first time. I've found the common denominator in this is the staff that measure my eyes for the fitting. When I have initially ordered the glasses I seem to have been fitted by staff that are "assistants or trainees" and unfortunately after the glasses are ready but incorrect I have then been seen to by one of the more senior staff member with the result that the replacement glasses are correct. Most recently I have used D & A (eye test at specsavers) and ordered rimless glasses for the first time. They have actually been returned having been manufactured "lopsided" with the bridge being attached higher on one lense than the other. The glasses hadn't been checked prior to me picking them up by any member of staff.

To be fair to D & A they have apologised profusely and upgraded the lense as compensation so other than inconvenience again I will be happy (hopefully) when I pick them up.

My wife has also had similar problems but also wears varifocals, so I wonder if its down to the fact that varifocals are a nightmare for optician staff to get right at first attempt.

There are such things as "your local privately owned opticians" rather than the chains who operate a bit like McDonald's. My own local optician is extremely helpful, professional and knows most of his customers by their first name.

My wife used a locally owned optician at her last eye test and they were without doubt the worst opticians she's ever been to.

I have tried various, but find SpecSavers fine (mainly due to the cost), although a pair I got a few years ago kept giving me blinding headaches, I went back a few times and eventually they checked my perscription again and they had missed a decimal place out in one of the measurements!!

However my husband has had a nightmare he got some from the one that used to be based in Big W and has had a nightmare getting anything done about what can only be an incorrect perscription as he gets horrendous headaches whenever he wears them and has in fact stopped wearing them at all!!

I and my family went there for years, but now I would not recommend them to my worst enemy!

My son started wearing glasses at age 3, and by his late teens, the problem got a lot worse. I told them from our very first visit 19 years ago that we had a genetic eye condition in the family, yet they did not suspect it. "He's just very short sighted, nothing else" was all I could get from them. Eventually I went to our GP and asked for a referral to the Eye Dept at the Hallamshire. From then it was diagnosed in my oldest son, youngest son, and myself.

If I hadn't told them of the condition, I wouldn't have expected them to find it, but it was clearly written on mine and my three son's notes so other than diagnose it myself, I could not have done any more!

Several of our prescriptions have been wrong also. Of course, they did a re-test and put the lenses right, but it's not very good is it?:rant:

I have used Specsavers for the last few years after finding Boots contact lenses too expensive. (They're about £5 cheaper per box of 30 pairs at Specsavers) Never had a problem with them, The staff in the town centre are incredibly helpful and set me up of the home delivery direct debit meaning I dont have to go into store every month to get the lenses. Great service

I have used Spec Savers at Crystal Peaks for around 6 years and never had a problem with them. My Mother had glaucoma so I go every year for a check up. I need glasses for reading but my distance is fine and I buy the ready reader type glasses and they have never tried to get me to buy theirs so I can't fault them. At my last check they tested my field vision and said to come back in 6 months to make sure it was not deteriorating so I think that they might have picked up on something.My Husband has also been satisfied with their service and he used to go to D&A but they kept getting his prescription wrong he Say's these are the best glasses ever!. I suggest that if your partner is not satisfied he goes back and tells them I am sure that they will put them right. The conveyor belt approach works as you don't always need an appointment and you can call in when you are shopping so they are always busy but it usually takes around 30mins to get my eyes tested but hubby's 45 mins so I think that it just depends on your eyes we always feel that they give them a thorough check.