My kitten is ill

when i got up for work at 4.45am on saturday morning, i was suprised as only one of my cats came to fuss me. normally when i get up they both come to greet me (if they are in, if not, they are both mi-awing to come in), barney is 11 months and normally as soon as i get up, he comes straight into the living room and i spend ten minutes stroking and fussing him, but he didnt get up and he stayed asleep, so i left him some food down and went to work, when i got home at 1.15pm, my husband said barney hadnt had anything to eat and from 1.15 to 11.15pm he just layed on the settee asleep, he does sleep a lot, but he always wakes up for feeding and to go out after a bit. when he got up at 11.15, he went straight to the door to go out. he came back in about an hour later, he went straight to bed and went i got up at 4.45am on sunday morning, he got up to greet me, but he only fussed me for a couple of minutes and he went back to bed, normally he would be desperate for his breakfast. when i got home from work at 1.15, my husband said barney still hadnt had anything to eat, he went out for a few hours and when he came in on sunday evening, he stayed in all night, normally he stays out all night. on monday when i got up, barney seemed a bit brighter and he had some breakfast and he slept until tea time, then he had some more food, but at about 6pm, he was sick about 3 times and then he was sick again about 8pm, he then stayed in all night sleeping. last night, barney climbed in the bath(which he never does) and started licking the water, so i brought his water bowl and put it in the bath and he had a good drink of water. he hasnt eaten anything today and hes been out for a couple of hours, but hes just sat in the bushes near our house. sorry i know this is a lot to read, but i wanted to fill you in on all the details, has anyone else had this with there cat and does he need to go to the vets? also barney hasnt played with out other cat poppy these past few days, they always play together, but when poppy comes to play, he just paws her away. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would get him to the vets, doesn't sound very good to me

shorter paragraphs might have meant i would have actually read it...

if the other person says a vet, the a vet it is....im fed up on reptile forums people asking for advice when something isnt right, instead of going to a vet straight away

shorter paragraphs might have meant i would have actually read it...

if the other person says a vet, the a vet it is....im fed up on reptile forums people asking for advice when something isnt right, instead of going to a vet straight away

But sometimes a visit to the vet isn't really necessary, and if your pet has something you haven't come across before - but could be quite a common, easily solved problem - then I think most people would ask others for advice before going to the vet.

When I first had cats and dogs, years ago, I was forever up at the vet, in tears, convinced the damn things had something fatal, when all they had was a minor problem, which didn't need treatment from a vet.

To the OP - I'd definitely get him up to the vet as soon as possible, since he's been poorly for a few days.

Probably got a fever (temperature). That makes cats inappetant and sleep loads. Its worth seeing if it passes in 24-48hrs at most but if this has been since Saturday then I'd take him.

There are drugs that can resolve the fever and get him eating at least, which is half the battle to recovery. There are also some weird and wonderful things that young cats can get that can cause fevers or these signs. Hope you get him sorted.

thanks to those of you who gave me good advice. i've booked him into the vets tomorrow afternoon, so i'll have to wait and see.

Hope he's ok.

My cats sometimes had off days where they'd be really quiet and they'd also go and drink from the bath or the sink and tried to find a quiet place to hide like in a wardrobe or behind a bed. They always came around though.

Let us know how he goes on! x

I think when its gone on as long as this has, he does need to see a vet , keep us posted here and Good luck I hope he will be purring well soon.

As already mentioned i would defo go to the vets,not wanting to eat and sleeping a lot can mean a few things,but because it's gone on for a few days best to be checked out.......have you tried a bit of tuna,hope it turns out ok

is there an update hun ? hows he doing?

i took barney to the vets yesterday afternoon and the vet can't see anything seriously wrong with him. He said hes a healthy kitten and probably just got a virus. Barney has picked up a bit and he's had some water and bits of tuna and he seems a bit brighter, so hopefully hes on the mend now. Thanks to everyone for your concern and advice.

Delighted to hear it's nothing serious - hope the lad is better soon. I'll bet he's getting spoiled to death.