Top Rank Suite

Yeah, I realise that legally they could have been destroyed - but it doesn't follow that they would have been. I'm the eternal optimist chum. For many years I worked at Wigfalls and they never destroyed any ledgers - and that was a firm that went back donkey's. Even when that fine company went southbound I was told that all records were being stored. That's the kind of 'hoarder' mentality I respect.

They could have been saved, who knows. But anyway, somebody must remember Charlie's surname. I must have heard it mentioned but just can't remember.

You should tune into Joe Elliott's Planet Rock show. He's mentioned Improvision quite a few times and has often played music from his memories there; Alan Parsons' 'The Raven', Babe Ruth 'Wells Fargo', Rush 'Finding My Way', Graham Parker's 'Hotel Chambermaid' and Blue Oyster Cult/Patti Smith 'The Revenge Of Vera Gemini'. All Improv classics and all played on his show these past few weeks. Check out next Saturday's prog for the 'Charlie-where-are-you?' shout out. Tune in the Saturday after for his 'United-where's-your-fighting-spirit-gone!!???' appeal......

Went into the O2 Academy 'proper' for the first time on Saturday to see Big Country. Talk about stepping back 30 years! I have been to the smaller satellite room on the side for a couple of Quireboys gigs but that wasn't really the same.

The feeling was just....odd. All those bands....AC/DC, Judas Priest, Stray, Styx.... It felt both such a long time ago and yet just a few years back at the same time! Really punched the noggin's nostalgia button. The most telling reality was the carpet's still sticky.

Annoyingly, parts are curtained off. No access to the tables & seats. Are they even still there? I mean.....come on. I'm 53 years old. I can do the celtic bop-a-long with the best. But after a day of dog walking, gardening and then getting down to Big Country, I wanted to rest occasionally. Ended up sitting on the floor at the back like some kind of tramp. Not on. Brilliant gig though. CHA !!!

Just found this thread. I used to go to the Rank on Tues night to the under 16's in the late 6TTTTTT's. There used to be about 1500 teens in every Tuesday.

Does anyone remember this - the skinhead haircut was just coming in at the time. The DJ had a hair-dresser on hand and he offered £5 to anyone with a full head of hair to come up on stage and have a full blown skinhead - number 1 - all off - in front of the crowd. There were no takers. He repeated this the following week saying that if there were no takers next week he would have it done himself.

Next week the hair-dresser was there ready and the DJ upped the offer to £10. Still no takers. So he sat in the chair. He had a full head of perfectly arranged blond tresses and not one person in the rank (including the hair-dresser) expected him to go through with it. After lots of false starts the hairdresser went woof and a great furrow appeared in one side of his magnificent barnet as a large piece of blond hair dropped to the stage. All the young birds were daft about him and lots of them were screaming and crying as the lot came off. Spoiled their night but saved his self a tenner.

Does anybody remember the DJ's name. He used to play lots of soul & motown.:help:

Edited by rebrab

Hi All.

Just found this site re The Top Rank Suite,Sheffield.

I worked there in the late 70s as a DJ with Stuart McEgan.

Stuart was the mullet and tash guy and i was the small thin younger guy.

We had a ball, Saturday nite fever movie craze brought 2,500 people every Saturday nite, i also worked the Sunday nite gigs with bands,such has The Police,Dave Edmunds,heaps and heaps of punk bands of that era,

Late 1979 i went to Australia for 12 months, 30 years later i am still there.

If anyone reads this and knows the whereabouts of Stuart McEgan, or Steve Johnson who used to be the DJ at Crazy Daisy's send me an email to

[email protected].

Looking forward to reading more...Take Care and Keep on Dancing..:loopy:

Hi Frank.

Yep i remember yourself and Ron, great times.

Especially the time Stuart asked you to turn off the sound when i was on stage playing music, to see how i would react.

And when fights broke out on the dance floor, Bar 6 gentlemen, the code for the bouncers to attend..

Take care.

Regards..Kevin Dinnigan

Does anyone remember Jimmy Savile coming to the Top Rank. Cant remember what for, but it was also either televised or on the radio. Some sort of talent competition springs to mind. Perhaps someone will remember

Does anyone remember Jimmy Savile coming to the Top Rank. Cant remember what for, but it was also either televised or on the radio. Some sort of talent competition springs to mind. Perhaps someone will remember

I remember him coming although I didn't go. As I've mentioned elsewhere some girl mates of ours who did go told us he had some blokes trawling the dance floor trying to persuade girls to go to his trailer parked out the back.

RE walking the full circuit round the "Rank" .I did that every saturday for a couple of months without any joy, then after me and my mate Kenny Wright agreed that if we had no luck it would be our last visit low and behold i met a girl, that was December 1972 and after 37 yrs wedded bliss the rest is history,

I remember the dance floor being packed untill the stage rotated and Maurice Naylor ( The Big N sound) appeared and there was a mass exodus up stairs to the minute dance floor where Motown was played.

I also remember going one thursday night when Barry Noble held a 10 pence a pint night, there were a few hangovers next day. Then a couple of days later unfortunatly Barry passed away .

I can recall Pete Waterman and michala strechan broad casting Hit Man and Her on tv live from the RANK