Top Rank Suite

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I haven't seen Gordon for donkeys. Did you get to speak to him?

Mary did work in the cloakroom to start with then progressed to front door reception.

Mike Powell did pass away a number of years ago now and I also heard the same rumour but how true that was I don't know.

We'll have to get together at some convenient time, get ****** and talk about times agone.

Give our regards to Julie and Gina if you see her. Tell her that Margerat O'Hanrahan is still going strong, albeit only just.

Speak to you later

Chris

I was still in my nappies in the 60's Trekker. Used to go Sat' mornings in about '72 onward. Remember always being hussled by gangs on the stairs. Bit dodgy at times.

sum thing never change:)

The best era of the Top Rank for our group o' mates was the back end of the 70s when, on a Sunday night, it would be known as 'Improvisions'. Had many, many happy nights down there. I don't know if it was the dj, Charlie, that booked the bands or someone else, but whomever it was opened our ears to some fantastic acts.

These are the nights I remember fondly;

The Strawbs, promoting their 'Deadlines' album.

Judas Priest - doing a healthy chunk of 'Sad Wings Of Destiny'.

Pat Travers & The Doctors Of Madness (again, their respective first lps)

The Clash (mostly 2nd album material, 'Give 'Em Enough Rope')

The Jam - well, that was just a heat & sweat adrenaline rush. (I think it was 'All Mod Cons' stuff. You tell me. Must have been very merry on Newkie Brown.)

Sham 69 - more sweat & jumping around.

Jenny Haan's Lion. Did she ever actually release anything? Remember thinking it was a great set though.

The Stranglers (the photo for the cover of their 'Something Better Change' single was taken that night. Me and my mates Bootleg Bill and Ian Flint are the main silhouettes. Only our mothers would know us.......)

British Lions (1st album again)

Motorhead. Ears-bleeding time. Only knew one song. (And didn't the Pink Fairies turn up too?)

Styx

Hinckley's Heroes (Joe Cocker throwing up at the side of the drums. I remember Tim Hinckley on keyboards, Henry McCullough on gtr, Boz Burrell on bass but who else?)

Bitter Suite (again, fantastic set)

Medicine Head (Peter Hope-Evans lurching through the crowd playing a wild harmonica solo)

AC/DC - f***ing loud!!!!

Then there's Roogalator, Tony McPhee's Terraplane, Supercharge and No Dice. All of which I remember seeing but never bought material by. Always said I'd pick up Supercharge's 'She Moved The Dishes First' but never got around to it).

Please let me know your Improvisions thoughts and recollections.

Cheers, Andy.

Did anyone out there go to see the Small Faces

perform a one night stand at the Rank back in the late

Sixties.

I was there but memory now hazy.

I recall it was a good night - but I don't think Steve and

the lads were on very long.

I was there that night. Me and a few mates. We had a good night. Also remember seeing Love Affair and Amen corner there.

I used be the sound/lighting engineer at the Rank from 1977 for 3 years. Had some great times there! Loved every minute! Stewart McEgan was the main DJ and The Maurice Naylor Band were the resident band. Great times!

Whatever happened to Charlie, the dj who worked there on Sundays? I know he used to drive over from Manchester to do the gig.

I only vaguely remember him. I was the House Engineer on a lot of those Improvisons gigs though.

I only vaguely remember him. I was the House Engineer on a lot of those Improvisons gigs though.

Hey Frankie, are you the guy who went to work at the town hall after the Rank ?

Or the one who went to work in London ?

Hi Pete - Pete Franks?

I'm the one that went to work in London (still down here).

I remember you if it is you Pete! :-)

The Rank job was the best job I had in Sheffield - many happy memories!

Hi, Yes its me! And i remember you, Beverly and i came down to your place for a weekend (Tottenham ?)

I would love to know how you are, perhaps you could "pm" me ?