Top Rank Suite

Pete Stringfellow introduced a new DJ there. Pat Sweetwater if my memory serves me well. I wonder what happened to him

Does anyone remember Jimmy Savile coming to the Top Rank. Cant remember what for, but it was also either televised or on the radio. Some sort of talent competition springs to mind. Perhaps someone will remember

Hi Tasha. Re Mr Jim will fix it. During my time at The Top Rank Suite/Steelys i can't remember Jimmy Saville gig, may have been in the 80s when i had left for Australia. We did have a lot:help: of Radio 1 Dj gigs, Alan Freeman etc, Radio Hallam etc etc. Would you know if Mike Rouse who had a slot on Saturday afternoons on Radio Hallam called The Mike Rouse Flying Pizza show is still around.

Also do you know of Stuart McEgan who was the other Dj with me at Steelys, and the Dj from the Crazy Daisy called Steve Johnson.

Kind Regards..

Kevin Dinnigan.

Hi Kevin. Jimmy Savile came to the Top Rank in the 60`s, maybe around 1966. I don`t remember any of the other DJ`s you mention. I do remember well Pete Stringfellow, Dick West, Pat Sweetwater, Mighty Atom, Tony Prince. The local band I have the most memories of were called Gospel Garden. They changed their name at one stage to Gethsemane. They played regularly at Down Broadway.

They could have been saved, who knows. But anyway, somebody must remember Charlie's surname. I must have heard it mentioned but just can't remember.

Hi Frank.

If you are still on this forum.

Would you send me an email.

Kind Regards.

Kevin Dinnigan :loopy:

I used to go on a saturday morning around 74 and also on a tuesday night,happy memories.

Lots about night life in 70's lately - but I don't think anyone

mentioned the Top Rank Suite.

That was something when it opened 1968 ??

The tickets for Christmas Eve and New Year were like gold.

A few artists appeared there also - I remember going to

see the Small Faces perform - fantastic night.

Any more memories of the "Rank" anyone.

I also frequented the top rank on Saturday nights and also saw small faces there. I absolutely loved it, couldnt wait for Saturday nights to come round.

HI, I used to work at the Top Rank from june 1979 to august 1985 lots of good bands, good events, 20 or 30 dinner dances every year and lots of friends," punters" and staff ! The place held 2500 people, I hear the place is to be knocked down soon, Very sad !!!

I used to work there 1984-5 behind bar.. loved it..

Item has been edited by OP.

Edited by dropout
Have realised, on reflection, that some people might NOT want their names and info posted on forum sites. Withdrawn, apols.

"Does anyone remember this - the skinhead haircut was just coming in at the time. The DJ had a hair-dresser on hand and he offered £5 to anyone with a full head of hair to come up on stage and have a full blown skinhead - number 1 - all off - in front of the crowd. There were no takers. He repeated this the following week saying that if there were no takers next week he would have it done himself.

Next week the hair-dresser was there ready and the DJ upped the offer to £10. Still no takers. So he sat in the chair. He had a full head of perfectly arranged blond tresses and not one person in the rank (including the hair-dresser) expected him to go through with it. After lots of false starts the hairdresser went woof and a great furrow appeared in one side of his magnificent barnet as a large piece of blond hair dropped to the stage. All the young birds were daft about him and lots of them were screaming and crying as the lot came off. Spoiled their night but saved his self a tenner."

Wow!, I was there that night - what a great thread here all.

My wife and I now in our sixties were reminiscing about the times we use to go to the Top Rank Suite has teenagers on a Tuesday night,

and all the good songs that had us freaking out on the dance floor - maybe some of you will remember these songs and be able to add your own

favourites:

Hickory Hollers Tramp

We'll fly high in the sky (Amen Corner)

Soul Finger

The Clapping Song

Wooley Bully 

On 02/03/2012 at 21:22, tasha_78_1 said:

Pete Stringfellow introduced a new DJ there. Pat Sweetwater if my memory serves me well. I wonder what happened to him

It was after Pat won best South Yorkshire dj for the Chris Hay trophy . He came from Barnsley