Sign in to follow this  

Help Needed Regarding Someone Selling me a PC

A friend is try to sell me this PC below for £550. Can someone tell me if it is a good deal.

Thermaltake VE1000SWA Mozart TX Aluminium Entertainment Tower Case - Silver

Asus Blitz Extreme Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 SLACR, 95W, S775, 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz

512MB Asus HD2900XT PCI-E(x16) 512Bit 1650MHz GDDR3, GPU 740MHz CrossFire

Corsair 2GB DDR3 XMS3-1066C7 TwinX (2x1GB)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB ST3500630AS SATA-II 16MB Cache

Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler

Thermaltake Toughpower Series Cable Management 1200w

Samsung DVDRW Dual Layer

Vista Ultimate

Its not a bad spec, but you can probably build that machine for <£500 now as it is a year or so out of date. i'll do a quick price up and find out.

*edit* looking through pricing up, its about that if you were to build it now.. the graphics card I spec'd was slightly higher as the 2900 isn't available anymore, and a slightly lower power supply. other than that everything else was the same and it came to just under £550...

As Ghozer said you should be able to build something of similar spec new for the same price... unfortunately theres very little market for second hand bits. I'm sure theres a formula for working out price but I forget.

I always take off 1/3 the original price per component, per 6 months.. then take off a little more to the resulting total system price.

like my motherboard, cost £240 in May 2008... thats about 1/2 the price off (so £120) (they are still about £180-£200 new... so it works out about right)

I always take off 1/3 the original price per component, per 6 months.. then take off a little more to the resulting total system price.

like my motherboard, cost £240 in May 2008... thats about 1/2 the price off (so £120) (they are still about £180-£200 new... so it works out about right)

So can I have your PC for free in 18 months?:hihi:

So can I have your PC for free in 18 months?:hihi:

I will have upgraded and sold by then... if not, i'll be giving it a family member...

GHOZER

sorry to be a lazy assed homlord, is there any chance you could give us a price list and where to buy????

I priced up parts from aria.co.uk - or the closest equivelent(s) (like a higher graphics card than the 2900, and a slightly lower power supplly (1000 watt))

If you want me to spec up / price one up properly (give me a budget), let me know and i'll do it.

yes 1.2kW is overpower for the system, considering its only using 1 gfx card!

I tend to find http://www.ebuyer.co.uk / http://www.dabs.com are the cheapest component by component though dabs sometimes stick silly postage charges on, and their founder was convicted for rape(!)