The Crown Inn, Totley - A Proper Pub!

The Crown is quite good these days. The beer is now about £2.70 a pint which is pretty standard for the area these days and the crazy ways of pulling a pint the pub was known for are almost gone! The beer is still well kept. Food available lunchtimes and tea time.

The Crown is quite good these days. The beer is now about £2.70 a pint which is pretty standard for the area these days and the crazy ways of pulling a pint the pub was known for are almost gone! The beer is still well kept. Food available lunchtimes and tea time.

Yesterday I called at the Moorlands which is just up the hill from the Crown. They now have hanpulled ale available at £1.69/pint.

Yesterday I called at the Moorlands which is just up the hill from the Crown. They now have hanpulled ale available at £1.69/pint.

Is that on Owler Bar? What ale was it?!

Had a fantastic night at the Crown last night tuesday. The pie was terrific and the jazz group, Impressions, superb. An added bonus good wine. a welcome change to most pub vino.

Keep up the good work Phillip look forward to coming back

Is that on Owler Bar? What ale was it?!

Yes. Owler Bar. The beer was only Green King IPA, but at the price it was certainly a better option the John Smith's Smooth.

We were told how good this pub was by someone who perhaps hasn't been for a while and we are planned to go next Tues evening for pie night and live music - website says Orleans style perfomer next week.

Are we going to be able to get food and music then or is it going to be a few weeks before it all starts again??

Sorry folks I saw an old post - slight case of dyslexia with date!!!

After posting saw the latest comments- no probs - we'll be there Tues to enjoy it!!!

Sadly closing on the 31st Jan

Punch pubco rates and beer prices making the place not viable.

Sad loss to live music and real ale

all credit to Phil the landlord he has made a real good go of this pub

Any rich people out there fancy investing in the best local in the area and getting rid of Punch.

Sadly closing on the 31st Jan

Punch pubco rates and beer prices making the place not viable.

Sad loss to live music and real ale

all credit to Phil the landlord he has made a real good go of this pub

That's really sad, Phil is a very genuine guy, known him for years, his sister is a good friend of my son. I was there Christmas day lunch time, I don't frequent pubs much these days, but it was only as busy as the normal Sunday lunchtimes when John and Sandra had it.

I can only repeat how sorry I am to see yet another person with some get up and go fail for no fault of their own.

It is difficult to see how anyone can make a go of a pubco owned pub these days. How is it possible to make a living after paying £1000/week rent and then having to buy your beer at £50 per barrel over market rate.

I note that the Shakespeare on Gibraltar Street is currently on the market at around £190 K free of tie. That was another good music venue, and one that could possibly be viable as there isn't a greedy pubco involved.

P.S.. I know where there is a 10 barrel brewery for sale with 4 fermenters.(£15,000) &capable of brewing around 11,500 pints per week. Now a pub with its own brewery really makes sense at the moment.

Any rich people out there fancy investing in the best local in the area and getting rid of Punch.

Its already been tried - Punch wont sell it - they will find some other manager to try it until they default on rent and rates