Bus pass for my 12 year old

I enquired about a zero fare bus pass for my son, he started secondary in sept and has to travel 4 1/2 miles from our house to his school but we were told that because his school was not our catchment school he would not be entitled to a pass.:(

You need a pass for bus travel at the kids rate (40p) from the age of eleven. I know this cos my lad should have one but he looks much younger! I enquired last week was told to take a passport sized photo his birth certificate & proof of identity with his current address on it. It`s free for the first pass but if lost it`s a fiver to replace.This was at the place on Arrundel gate. Hope this helps.

Here is the link for the meagatravel pass which will allow them to travel at the 40p rate for buses / trams if you look at the page you can print off the application form on line - this site will confirm what you need., plus where the offices are that do them

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/Tickets_Passes/ticket_types/megatravel_pass.htm

They are madatory for 11 - 16 year olds

The pass can be obtained (as someone else said) by people who are younger than the mandatory age if they look older. Remember that the consesionary fare is only available if the pass is carried and shown to the driver / conductor / gaurd .

I enquired about a zero fare bus pass for my son, he started secondary in sept and has to travel 4 1/2 miles from our house to his school but we were told that because his school was not our catchment school he would not be entitled to a pass.:(

That sounds really cockeyed thinking!

Its designed to save the council money and stop abuse generaly if you choose to use a school some way away then they dont issue a free pass if you have to use a school some way away then they do this is a generasation

As far the child who as a pas but only travels two stops that is definatley a no no would be intrested to know how that occured as some else as said its a far greater distance if it was 2 stops then no child would pay and there definatley be capaticy problems

Thanks for the replies...Its the 11-16 proof of age one i need...Does anyone know if i can get one from the bus depot in Hillsborough?

Thanks

Rachael

Do you mean the interchange next to morrisons if you do then yes you should be able to get it at the office in the interchange, ive just looked it up on the pte website and its not listed - odd but i should try them - found it listed under mini interchanges !

There are no bus depots in south yorkshire that issue PTE tickets

Do you mean the interchange next to morrisons if you do then yes you should be able to get it at the office in the interchange, ive just looked it up on the pte website and its not listed - odd but i should try them - found it listed under mini interchanges !

There are no bus depots in south yorkshire that issue PTE tickets

Thanks bus man...I can also get one from meadowhall so thats just as good for me.

Will get one sorted this week.

Rachael

Here is the link for the meagatravel pass which will allow them to travel at the 40p rate for buses / trams if you look at the page you can print off the application form on line - this site will confirm what you need., plus where the offices are that do them

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/Tickets_Passes/ticket_types/megatravel_pass.htm

They are madatory for 11 - 16 year olds

The pass can be obtained (as someone else said) by people who are younger than the mandatory age if they look older. Remember that the consesionary fare is only available if the pass is carried and shown to the driver / conductor / gaurd .

lol swear i put that link on yesterday ????

It's certainly not as close as that for a zero fare pass:- it used to be 2 miles or more as the crow flies for a primary-school child, and 3 miles or more as the crow flies, for a secondary school child. I don't think it's changed much in the intervening years.

There is also the 11-16 pass that you can get, which is a proof of age pass. This proves the child is under 16 and entitled to travel at certain times, for the child fare of 40p. (I don't think it's valid late at night, stops at about 9.30/ 10pm IIRC)

It is valid late at night, there is no night time limit on it.