Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

i would say on the low side, other agents want 1.25-1.5%%, as i said dont accept the first figure an agents gives you, i always get 3 or 4 valuations and make sure they all know they are in competition with others, some will negotiate some wont.

Good advice, but time consuming and many people don`t like negotiating. I`m not sure I do.

I got two estate agents round to do a "valuation" (it`s actually a sales pitch for the estate agent), I liked them both, though Saxton Mee`s chap was let down by the fact they weren`t as efficient as I`d expect when we were interested in looking round some of their houses (as buyers).

Morfitt Smith`s valuer was one of the owners, John Morfitt, and he was a very good salesman (at selling Morfitt Smith estate agency.....), you`ve got to give it to him. But I still think he sold me the wrong sales package. We definitely needed to sell our house, a cheaper pay up front arrangement was what we really needed, but they don`t do one, so he kept very quiet about them. You`d have thought, knowing we definitely had to sell our house (i.e. they were unlikely to have to do a load of work for just "the marketing fee") that they`d have offered us a good deal. £2100 isn`t a good deal, not by any means, they really got us, hook, line, and sinker........

Good advice, but time consuming and many people don`t like negotiating. I`m not sure I do.

I got two estate agents round to do a "valuation" (it`s actually a sales pitch for the estate agent), I liked them both, though Saxton Mee`s chap was let down by the fact they weren`t as efficient as I`d expect when we were interested in looking round some of their houses (as buyers).

Morfitt Smith`s valuer was one of the owners, John Morfitt, and he was a very good salesman (at selling Morfitt Smith estate agency.....), you`ve got to give it to him. But I still think he sold me the wrong sales package. We definitely needed to sell our house, a cheaper pay up front arrangement was what we really needed, but they don`t do one, so he kept very quiet about them. You`d have thought, knowing we definitely had to sell our house (i.e. they were unlikely to have to do a load of work for just "the marketing fee") that they`d have offered us a good deal. £2100 isn`t a good deal, not by any means, they really got us, hook, line, and sinker........

its not time consuming at all, you get all 4 agents to come in an hour at 15 min intervals they dont need more they already have a value withinn 5-10k in their head anyway, dont worry they will fit with you, why not negotiate??? you have spent time on here discussing why not negotiate and save money, call me tight but i never pay ticket prices even in shops always get a discount:hihi::hihi: well apart from Aldi :D

i reckon you paid a grand + too much, live and learn eh, negotiate hard next time.

Can you recommend Real Estate Agents for selling House in the Darnall Area Sheffield? I will like to sell my 3 bedroom semi detached house off Prince of Wales Road and I will appreciate a shortlist of reliable real estate agents

Thanks

we have just had our house valued and are thinking of selling

however the agent wants over 3k to sell our house

seen lots of fixed price ones etc are they any good?

do they all have to come out and value house?

is it just a case of getting onto rightmove?

I would imagine they'll all want to come and do a valuation as that is when they give you their sales pitch. First of all you don't have to accept their first price, go back to the estate agent in question and counter their offer, if you like them and the services they're offering then just tell them you are not happy with the price. I found that the average price to sell was around 1% of the purchase price.

They say around 90% of houses these days are found online (mainly Zoopla and right move) so find an agent that takes good pictures, writes a good description and charges a fair price. The pictures are everything, when I was looking to move if Rightmove only had three photos I would just ignore that property, if the photo's where rubbish I would also move on. I have seen bathroom photo's where there are poo stains in the toilet, clothes all over the bedrooms etc (mainly in London) but still they do not look good.

To be honest, to get the viewings and the offers in this is what it's really all about. However, an Agent should at lease be competent and responsive - you will need to take a view on that yourself when you meet them. When I've been viewing properties there's just a night-and-day difference. I found Purple Bricks to be really bad at being communicative and arranging things with the Vendor (which you'll be)... but, of course, that could just be the local guy there (not Sheffield).

Will you do viewings yourself? Are you happy negotiating price yourself?

Where are you based Jenny?

We paid an up front fee with a certain estate agent and had the worse 12 weeks of our lives with them not doing anything! We moved after the fixed 12 weeks and went with Saxton Mee and negotiated the price down and didn't get tied into any contract and sold within a week. You can definitely negotiate and don't get fobbed off with what they say initially. Go with what you're happy with.

I paid £1700 for estate agent services but in all fairness they did all viewings etc and house sold in 3 days

They pretty much all go on Rightmove. Be careful with some estate agencies as they make it mandatory for you to use their conveyancers - not something you want as you will pay an inordinate amount of referral fees for nothing!

Local estate agents are quite good, try someone like Spencers in Sheffield? There's loads of decent ones but yes they all end up on Rightmove!

Be careful with some estate agencies as they make it mandatory for you to use their conveyancers - not something you want as you will pay an inordinate amount of referral fees for nothing!

Yes. Odd that they're unaware of the unlawfulness of secret profit made (but undisclosed) by any agent to the agent's principal.

There seem to be a lot of sharks out there, and a lot of sharp practice.

Can anyone recommend a good lettings agent in Sheffield? One that will take over the finding and running of a tenancy for a reasonable price?