Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

syko1979 - it's tough unless you have the volume of properties to let advertised to generate enquiries. I've often been frustrated when landlords have decided to go to a bigger name on the basis that there are more of their boards about despite the fact they're often more expensive and aren't offering much more other than the brand the landlord recognises. An inventory clerk I use summed it up the other day by saying there are agents out there that do go the extra mile and make sure they are covered and know what they're doing, but it's hard to get that information out there to the prospective landlord. I'm always surprised that despite the amount of annoyance and bad feeling there can be towards the letting agent, many landlords accept it and don't move on - the same situation when selling a home usually results in the customer moving to another estate agent.

I think it's fair to say that reputations are often deserved when it comes to letting agents, the last time I moved, it was near impossible to get a viewing at a suitable time, the agents more or less suggested they'd take the first applicant that applied for it which isn't always in the landlord's interest and what I did get to see was pretty shoddy for the most part - I suspect the landlord who had one of the properties I saw had no idea how bad the property was based on the photos I'd seen on the advert when it had been up for sale 12 months previously. To be frank, I ended up paying more than I wanted to initially after viewing a really nicely presented bungalow with an agent that was easy to get hold of and had reasonable application fees (£200+ per person to move in is a bit steep IMO). I'm still there now too, they're OK with maintenance issues and I gather they charge the landlord a reasonable price for their assistance.

If I was choosing an agent personally I'd want:

Staff that care about what they're doing - from both the tenant and landlord's perspective.

Informative and can guide you through where to eliminate risks, making sure that the landlord knows and understands what they are responsible for, there's no reason why they shouldn't be signed up to some form of accreditation and codes of conduct with relevant bodies.

Available to do viewings within reasonable timescales and to fit in with tenants where possible.

Advertise on the major property portals.

Decent photos and write up (Floorplans are useful too)

They should look at the long term picture - IE not a constant turnover of tenants every 6 months unless it's a property where this cannot be avoided. The landlord should be able to make a choice to suit them if there are enough tenants to take the property.

They shouldn't charge the earth for everything, costs should be transparent, reasonable and easy to understand.

Always keep in mind the major differences between:

a. Estate Agent (handles marketing/sale); and

b. Letting Agents (handles marketing/letting and maybe ongoing management- much more responsibility).

Haybrooks & William h brown are awful, between the 2 I've enquiries for 10 properties not heard a think back. I was / still am tempted to go to vendors and say I am interested but your agents didn't get in touch with me 2/3 weeks ago. Not good if your a seller with them.

Has anyone had any recent experience with Estate Agents Crucible Homes and if they are 'hungry' for business and have a good track record on selling etc,have had another local agent around for valuation but they didn't come across as being enthusiastic except with the prices they are charging.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I am looking to ask any current landlords which letting agents they would recommend. I am looking to rent my property which is near central Sheffield. I am looking for a good agent who will do a reasonably price let only service or good priced managed service. I have had some quotes but I was after a recommendation from personal experience anyone? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

donot use Blundells they donot carry out the inspection as you would like, they donot check smoke alarms ,, I found then very poor

Its not a question of you pay for what you get,Haybrooks CP are t6he most exspensive and was shocking,JMC so cheap and also not good so what does this mean.

We have used JMC twice in the past year, to sell my mothers house and then to sell (& buy from) . I found them to be really good, always returned calls, phoned me when they said they would. They were the most reasonable, with fixed rates and they even talked me out of such things as not needing any brochures or for sale board ( all extra costs). On completion day they kept us "in the loop" and everything went really smoothly.

I would recommend them and should we sell again I would definitely use them.

hi im selling my house in walkley and need help with which estate agent is the best and a solicitor

why don't you try and sell it yourself ! and keep the agents fee in your pocket. Emmit & Taylors ( or is it the other way round ? ) are very good solicitors

Edited by philg

thanks for your reply I would but wouldn't know where to start but very good idea il keep the solicitor in mind

Take a look around your area as to who is selling the most houses and who has the most sold. Majority want fees up front.

Mod Note

Multiple threads merged to existing megathread on the subject.

Please use the search facility before posting a new thread.

why don't you try and sell it yourself ! and keep the agents fee in your pocket. Emmit & Taylors ( or is it the other way round ? ) are very good solicitors

Taylor & Emmet LLP.