Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

Does it really matter? (controversial :D )

I'd buy a house based on which area/street it was on and whether I could afford it - The agent advertising it wouldn't have much influence on my decision.

The last house I bought was through 'William H Brown' at Banner Cross and from a buyer's point of view i'd happily recommend them.

As a first time buyer, some of this does make an interesting read.

I'd buy a house based on which area/street it was on and whether I could afford it - The agent advertising it wouldn't have much influence on my decision.

Yes, generally, as EA is the agent of the vendor only- not a middleman.

But some EAs are, it seems, more often involved in 'problem cases' than other are!

I recently used Sheffield Residential. There team was very professional and actually went the extra mile. I currently rent properties with them as their services impressed me that much. Would definitely recommend!

Does anyone have some up to date feedback on Key2Go for selling, last couple of years?

Have had Key2Go, 2Roost, Bloors, Blundells, Ewemove and Redbrik round to give their 'valuation', got 20k difference between them.

Cheapest fee: Key2Go

Priciest fee: Ewemove

Most desperate: Blundells (asked them to price match fees, took £300 straight off)

Nicest shoes: Redbrik (also offered to move upfront fees to after completion)

Adventures in house selling.....

No property has a real price in the abstract; each is worth just what someone will pay for it.

So one could reasonably expect a range of up to about 15% between valuation figures.

I've just completed on my house with Reeds Rains and their APL afiliation :gag:

I would not recommend at all - as it's been nothing but stress and lots of phone calls chasing both solicitor and Reeds Rains. Let's say once the offer was on the table - the phone call updates stopped!

I had an incredibly slimy guy from Pinks Homes - Mr Pink himself I believe with his ultra expensive car parked outside (look what your fees pay for!)

He valued my house at FIFTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS LESS than we received for it LAUGHED at the other valuations I'd received from other EA's and the worst crime showed no interest or passion about my property. How then can I believe he will showcase my house when he was too busy saying it was over valued???

Well Mr Pink with your dreadful aftershave and flash car my house sold in 3 days for 15k more than you said. Do yourself a favour and go back to being a car salesman!!!

Haybrook get my vote :D

We are selling, and have had quotes so far from Blundells and Key2Go. The valuations were similar but fees for Blundells about £500 more. Choosing an estate agent seems a minefield, is it worth paying more for a big firm or are the small independents just as good? How many quotes to get?

Plus, Blundells makes you start paying the marketing fee upfront and use their own solicitors, I think, but the paperwork is complicated and harder to understand than Key2Go.

It may be worth paying more if they will get a better price or quicker sale, but how do I find out who is better? Is it worth haggling with the fees?

Edited by snowyowl

We are selling, and have had quotes so far from Blundells and Key2Go. The valuations were similar but fees for Blundells about £500 more. Choosing an estate agent seems a minefield, is it worth paying more for a big firm or are the small independents just as good? How many quotes to get?

Plus, Blundells makes you start paying the marketing fee upfront and use their own solicitors, I think, but the paperwork is complicated and harder to understand than Key2Go.

It may be worth paying more if they will get a better price or quicker sale, but how do I find out who is better? Is it worth haggling with the fees?

Always haggle and always ask questions til you understand what your fees are paying! I'd get at least 3 quotes that way you can compare services and never pay anything up front or you could be left out of pocket with a house the EA isn't selling! See my posting hope that helps! Good luck

Definitely haggle - you don't even need to be hard-nosed about it, Blundells called to chase me up post valuation and I just mentioned that another EA was willing to put it on the market for £99 and they straight away knocked £300 off, I wasn't even trying!

I ended up paying out £49 to get my own EPC done and that's been it for up front costs so far.

I did really fancy going with Key2Go but I didn't get any timely feedback on what they were like, and lots of the earlier feedback seemed to come from the same people....

Bearing in mind that the internet has been a huge leveller in terms of advertising, and a small firm can have the same coverage as a huge one, it seemed to me that forums like this were the best way of judging who is 'better', or at least who really sucks....

Has anyone used Preston Baker, and if so what's your feedback? They're asking £2000 + VAT...how does this compare with others fees???

In the main with few exceptions Estate Agents in South Yorkshire don't have a lot of go go about them rather like the cat that waits for the mouse to come to it instead of the other way around,just my view.

As I am thinking of selling again does anyone have any recent experience of using Messrs Haybrook & Co please.

Edited by d71146