Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

I'm trying very hard to find a suitable property in Sheffield. I will be moving into the area with my kids to take up post-grad study and also to transfer my cancer treatment to Weston Park.

After finding a property, with Haybrooks, I was more or less coerced into taking it straightaway (potential tenants waiting outside to view while I was viewing), and asked to pay a deposit straight away (to secure the property or one of the potential tenants may take it). Even though it was a weekend, my card details were taken and phoned through to office.

After this I had to make the 200 mile return trip after 2 days to bring in id and sign the agreement.

I was paying six months rent in advance to speed up the process and secure the property so I could register kids at local schools. I was advised that all references would be taken up straight away and I would receive the offer letter within a few days.

Despite these assurances, my character reference was not contacted, and Haybrook failed to ask me to provide an alternative.

Is it unreasonable to question the integrity of such an estate agent, who was so quick to take my money (£257) and then not bother chasing up references.

They have now refused to return my deposit, even though they know that the whole episode has impacted on my health. I was even advised by them to 'take the property, what's the point in withdrawing when you will have to start the process over again'.

This is a matter of principle - and to make matters worse I had submitted an appeal to their lettings department, and surprise, surprise, it has been ignored.

So, this is now going to the head office, and I will also be advising the local press.

These big companies should not be allowed to intimidate tenants, especially women on their own with children, especially in my case with my serious illness.

Shame on you, Haybrooks!

Best bet is to avoid estate agents - they are parasites on productive people IMO, taking money without doing an awful lot in return.

Its not so hard to find decent rental property without an estate agent nowadays - lots of people seem to advertise on here and I know e.g. the University has its own internal service for staff and students, which allows them to avoid estate agents. Perhaps other companies do too.

Also you can try asking the people in charge of your course if they know any people with properties - a lot of my friends rent out their houses via finding links informally (but no I don't know of anyone looking right now to fill a property) through work or social circles, because as landlords they also don't see that estate agents add any value and just take money.

I have someone from Haybrooks coming to pitch to sell my home in a little while. I might just mention this.

Hi all,

I am looking to ask any current landlords which letting agents they would recommend. I am looking to rent my property which is near central Sheffield. I am looking for a good agent who will do a reasonably price let only service or good priced managed service. I have had some quotes but I was after a recommendation from personal experience anyone? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Is it an apartment or terrace?

Make sure you choose an agent that has recently successfully managed properties similar to yours.

If you need any detailed advice, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Try d.g lettings, they do a great job,

Cheap as, 07976871145.

It is a flat. I have had many quotes. I am looking to go with Henry Spencer and sons. Anybody ever used?

Can anyone recommend any of the estate agents in Chapeltown, or recommend any not to use! Also I am trying to find out what type of fee they all charge but no one other than Pinks will provide information without having to arrange a valuation/sales pitch. I understand the norm is 1.5-2% which seems pretty high, is it common to barter them down on this?

Many thanks

Yes, you can negotiate. They want your business, and Estate Agency is a cut-throat trade at the best of times.

Blundells

were fantastic for us. However prior to this we tried Haybrooks who were truely awful.

We used winkworths and were really happy with them. They found us a buyer after 4 months on the market, we did sell during the winter time though! I cant recommend Maureen, chantelle and Steven enough.

Im going back 3 years, but we used Blundells for selling and Winkworths for buying.

Both were ok, with no problems.

Stayed well clear of Haybrooks, after the rep put us off,

But like I said ,that was 3 years ago.