Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

I'm looking to put my flat on the market in the next month or so. I want to invite a few estate agents around before I settle on one, but of course I need to decide which ones.

We live in S14. I bought through Haybrooks and didn't rate them, so I'll be avoiding them.

So, any recommendations?

There's not much differnce between the lot,wouldn't pay up front make them work for their money.

I would recommend Move and Save- they are a combinaion of tradEA and internet based ones. You pay an upfront fee and they put the property on Rightmove and other internet sites. You arrange viewings directly with the viewers so this saves time and also gives you more control. I have found them very accessable and helpful when I've needed advice and they are so much cheaper than tradEA.

Reeds Rains i found to be very thorough, helpful, achieved a great price, even negotiated with other agent on our behalf so no one lost out!! at the end of the day it comes down to money, as for the service you get what you pay for.

Good friendly helpful staff i would use again and reccomend.

Its not a question of you pay for what you get,Haybrooks CP are t6he most exspensive and was shocking,JMC so cheap and also not good so what does this mean.

Earlier this year we sold with Saxton Mee and purchased through ELR. No real problems with either, but much better service/personal touch from ELR, who I'd likely use next time. Blundells did come to quote, I wasn't impressed.

Unless fees are a major sticking point for you I'd usually advise to go with a local agent over a national online one. Online agents are usually cheaper but aren't able to offer the support a local agent can (so long as the local DOES provide the support! ;) )

Choose an agent who knows your area and has sold properties in your area (not just has them for sale)

Here are a few tips on choosing an agent (it's not rocket science but a few pointers always help):

Ten top tips for choosing an estate agent to sell your house

Hope it helps but drop me a line if I can be of any assistance.

James.

I've got mine up with Blundells but over past 4mths it's been up with them I've not been impressed and tbh I wouldn't buy from them!

So taking it off with them and putting it on with Haybrook which I know aren't great but at least the people seem more enthusiastic and not robotic + they have always answered the phone quickly unlike Blundells. Another positive with Haybrook is they cover a much larger area of South Yorkshire, so for me they are the best of a bad bunch.

Give Crucible Homes a ring, based on Campo Lane - 0114 2413430

Do not advertise your business in here if you do it will be removed and your account will likely be suspended.

I'm trying very hard to find a suitable property in Sheffield. I will be moving into the area with my kids to take up post-grad study and also to transfer my cancer treatment to Weston Park.

After finding a property, with Haybrooks, I was more or less coerced into taking it straightaway (potential tenants waiting outside to view while I was viewing), and asked to pay a deposit straight away (to secure the property or one of the potential tenants may take it). Even though it was a weekend, my card details were taken and phoned through to office.

After this I had to make the 200 mile return trip after 2 days to bring in id and sign the agreement.

I was paying six months rent in advance to speed up the process and secure the property so I could register kids at local schools. I was advised that all references would be taken up straight away and I would receive the offer letter within a few days.

Despite these assurances, my character reference was not contacted, and Haybrook failed to ask me to provide an alternative.

Is it unreasonable to question the integrity of such an estate agent, who was so quick to take my money (£257) and then not bother chasing up references.

They have now refused to return my deposit, even though they know that the whole episode has impacted on my health. I was even advised by them to 'take the property, what's the point in withdrawing when you will have to start the process over again'.

This is a matter of principle - and to make matters worse I had submitted an appeal to their lettings department, and surprise, surprise, it has been ignored.

So, this is now going to the head office, and I will also be advising the local press.

These big companies should not be allowed to intimidate tenants, especially women on their own with children, especially in my case with my serious illness.

Shame on you, Haybrooks!