Estate agent and lettings MEGATHREAD - No advertising in here

If its just come on the market even Blundells will price it at a realistic level.

I know you can offer what you want but 25% below would say to me that you are not serious. 15% below ok and can be used as a starting point.

What is the asking price like compared to similar houses in the same area?

Hi, Grannygranny. It's difficult to compare it with other houses in the area, because it is a lot larger than most property around. That's why I'm not sure. The price is quite steep, and not too different to similar properties in a more expensive area nearby, which is why we think it's overprice. It's right at the very top of our budget, so we are a bit scared about paying full price and then fall into negative equity.

I know if you are going to live in a house for years and years you shouldn't worry about negative equity, but you never know what lies ahead. I know people who bought their "forever" house, and a couple of years down the line fell critically ill and had to sell, or divorced and again, had to sell quickly.

If there are similar houses at the same price in a nicer area then explain this to the EA when making your offer. If you show that you are serious and have researched the market then they should not be able to argue with you... but seeing as it is Blundells, they may try!

The only thing which may cause you delay is that if the house has just come onto the market then the vendors may prefer to see how it goes for a few weeks first before accepting any low offers.

I personally think 25% below the asking price for a new to the market house is too low to start with though.

mosaic, look up what nearby houses sold for and when, using sites such as houseprices.co.uk (and others), this will give you a more precise idea as to whether -25% is 'too low', or 'not low enough' or spot-on.

Don't rely on anyone discussing the merits of a figure 'out of thin air', i.e. without knowing the specifics.

Ideally, you should look at similar houses on the same street, and prices in mid- to late-2006. Depending on the area in question, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if -25% looks about right, particularly since you're not in a chain and you're able to complete quickly (and that now attracts a premium).

Avoid Halifax!! Our house is on the market with them at the moment and has been for 8 weeks - not a single viewing, no contact from the EA, nothing. Then I had the Blundells guy round who was very impressive in his approach (proactive ringing people looking for that type of property to arrange a viewing etc) so I rang Halifax and they suggested dropping the price. I was like, no way, there are other houses on the road for the same price and they're getting viewings or even selling. So I said about Blundells and that we were thinking of switching and she just said "ok you need to send in a letter and we'll keep it on file for when the 10 weeks is up and you can change" - just like that!! So 2 weeks to go...

Halifax don't charge any upfront fees but you are tied in for 10weeks which they kept very quiet (and in the small print). Blundells charge about 1.75% in total if you include a 6th of a page advert in the property paper - it costs £100 up front (I think) or you can choose not to put it in the paper. There's a fee of £395 marketing fee up front too - although a friend of mine was quoted £495 and they managed to haggle them down to £295 so double check that one!!

I wouldnt have thought that advertising your property in the paper is that effecient. More people these days browse the internet as it is more convenient, easier and they can get better information from these websites and send enquiries direct from the website. This should enable you to negotiate the "Marketing Fee" to £0.

I've had these three agents round and can't decide who to go with. I wanted someone who had presence at Crystal Peaks and/or Gleadless as I'm at Richmond. I also had Halifax round but wasn't keen on them, so they are definitely a no-no.

Initially I thought to go with Blundells but have read some awful things about them on here which has made me think twice, plus they want some of their fees upfront which has put me off.

Haybrooks seem ok but I don't like their website - do you think this is a major issue seeing as most people look at rightmove first? All their fees are payable upon completion.

WH Brown were ok but she vastly overvalued my house and when I said I knew I'd never get that she said 'Oh, we can put it on lower if you prefer', so I'm not sure I trust them and feel worried that I know the local market better than they do! They also want some of their fees upfront, although not as much as Blundells.

All three are no sale no fee, apart from the upfront fees for Blundells and WH Browns, and they all work on a fixed fee rather than a percentage.

Any advice on the above agents?

A x

Haybrooks seem ok but I don't like their website - do you think this is a major issue seeing as most people look at rightmove first?

I don't think this will be an issue, as Rightmove will be the first port of call for most people (so the ads say) and it's set out in their own style. Have a look at some of their other listings and see how well they market them, for example i've noticed that some agents (ELR) don't seem to ever use any internal shots of properties.

None of them!

Put a board outside your house for £49 pounds, it will go on the interent and you can do the work youselves.

The way the market has gone - this is the way forward for selling houses you have to factor in (for example £1500 in fees) but you can knock this off the price of your house thus making it £1500 cheaper and more appealing for buyers.

We are buying through Haybrook and have found them very friendly and helpful so far.

We used Blundells last year, the CP branch. We put our house on a few grand over what they valued it at and got 3 offers and a sale in about 3 or 4 weeks for full asking. :thumbsup: We'd had the Halifax round, and they weren't that great, and like someone else, WH Brown over-valued by a good £25,000!! :oI've never used Haybrooks, but my mum and dad had a valuation a few years ago, and that came in way under what the house was worth. But I don't know what they're like now...

We had no problems over and above the usual niggles...

I meant to say, we also had dealings with ELR but found their staff verging on rude which totally put us off as buyers. So I were a seller, I would avoid them.