Job Lot Building

I remember Hillards being built around 1969 ish. The Cinema building is further up the road.

The cinema closed in 1975. It was the capitol opened in 1939. Then the Essoldo then Vogue.

Now a carpet shop.

wasn't the cinema a bit further up the rd, its now the carpet shop with gennels either side leading onto swanbourne rd. hillards was further down with the library above it from what i remember.

Fantastic stuff ... posted at 4.25 and the answer at 4.28. Certainly the cinema is a different building and also recgnisable. My wifes maiden name is Job ... as in the Bible, not as in Jobsworth and we always refer to her family as the Job Lot! I remember the Hillards Supermarket Chain but not this branch. Thanks again everybody ... never been let down yet by the Forum.

wasn't the cinema a bit further up the rd, its now the carpet shop with gennels either side leading onto swanbourne rd. hillards was further down with the library above it from what i remember.

As stated in my post.

Looking at some of the stock it must have been left there from the Hillards days.

wasn't it also a granways at some point?

the carpet shop next door is the old cinema i think

Mr Ben you are correct. Started life in 1939 as The Capitol. Then it became The Essoldo. Finally - The Vogue. Closed its doors as a cinema in 1975.

Mr Ben you are correct. Started life in 1939 as The Capitol. Then it became The Essoldo. Finally - The Voge. Closed its doors as a cinema in 1975.

thank you :thumbsup:

wasn't it also a granways at some point?

I don't think it was Grandways, however, one of Hillards managers previously worked for Grandways (Wm. Jacksons). Can't think of his name at the moment.

I remember Hillards being built around 1969 ish. The Cinema building is further up the road.

The cinema closed in 1975. It was the capitol opened in 1939. Then the Essoldo then Vogue.

Now a carpet shop.

Hillards supermarket opened in Jan/feb 1971 I remember being there, was opened by Miss Great Britain, my gran lived in the houses just behind it, we used it like a local shop.

There was a library above too, spent many hours in there.

The essoldo cinema was also a fave place, Sat afternoons kids, sixpence to get in.

It then became a bingo hall, then a carpet shop.