Cowlyshaws Pond

hya tony was not a hero just a mate who was in the right place at the right time. in his own words in front of the class. he refused to go on the school stage to accept an award but received it elswhere he wasnt comfortable with this hero status. but we actually threw into the same pond during the summer holidays but as i said earlier i am proud and greatfull for what he did and who he was. a chum cheers

Spent many happy hours down there,remember the farm being knocked down.

Used to scrap with the woodbourn lads,who came over the bridge from Dolphin Street.Could name some names off wybourn who were our leaders then,but better not.Happy days eh!!!!!

Hi Bob, i was one of them from the wybourn (Cresent) Spent many happy hours battling the woodburn lot.:D

William Cowlishaw is listed on the 1881 census aged 38, occupation coal carter, born "Manor, in Yorkshire". He was living with his wife and three children.

(Info off familysearch.org)

I remember cowlishaws, i played there as a child,I remember the Indian village as we called, but i think it was where they kept the pit ponies,Steads was at the bottom of old manor lane,and it was a very bad bend, the pond i think was of on the right, happy days there surely was,and i remember the punch ups we had with the woodine lads and lasses.the last time was when the police arrived, i never went after that.

did many a walk down there with my dad searching for sticklebacks but other stuff too,we got two brilliant train sets just dumped in cases, we aso found a little yellow chic witch we thort was a chicken we tried to find the owner but no luck so we took it home,it turned out to be a femail mallard and we kept her for 3 years her name was yaky. but getting back jumping jack as we called him was tonkinking our next door nabor.

cowlyshaws pond and the quarry at the back when you think back how dangerous it was and we took it all in our strides swimming inthe quarry ponds when it was full scrap iron from the pit,health and safety nowadays would have a 40 foot fence and surround with a minefield but we had loads fun till sex was invented also we used to camp out around there at the weekends ready for a brawl with the darnall and woodbourn lads,oh maureen where did you go to,still seems like just the other day cheers, chang

I remember the tunnel down into the slag heap, the old derelict Fordson tractor in the barn, the numerous large plant fossils in the quarry and the whine of the pellets from our air rifles as the ricoched off the slabs in the quarry, and running down the Woodburn Road end of the slag heap and stopping just before what was a sheer drop.[Phew] Just about where MKM builders merchants is now.

I also remember us being told that the ponds were full of stolen bikes dumped there by the bad Wybourne lads, so we spent a few futile days dragging them with homemade grappling irons, I think we got one rusted wreck.

There again that was nothing compared to what we used to get up to around Handsworth and Waverley pits

Health and safety Ha !.

Edited by Odd-jobs