Sheffield, the past, present and the future...

Hi, Please can can anyone tell me what is the main economic sustenance for Sheffield today. I have talked to Stan Shaw one of the last 'little mesters', and have got his book, I have also read the 'Golden Blades of Hallamshire', and have been given a couple of copies of the 'History of a Parish' St Vincent's by Mr. Vincent Hale. Personal experiences are the backbone to my research.. I live in Norwich now, prior to that my dad was in the RAF.. so,I have really not experienced living in one place for more than two or three years.. so community to me is quite foreign.. I have also been looking at Brantham in Suffolk where the British Xylonite company made its roots and a new community was eventually made up from the workers.. prior to the company moving in, Brantham was strictly agricultural.. so they have experienced a great deal of change over the past 150 years.. (British Xylonite Company closed its doors in 2004/5),so things have now become very isolated.. and only the older generations have tried to preserve the past unity that they once were accustomed to.

Is this the case today in Sheffield? I watched a video on YouTube which showed the way that the people in Sheffield are now inundated with foreign students and other cultures... and as stated.. Sheffield is now not just seen as a group of parishes but as a whole district engulfing many areas that go well beyond the original boundry lines... did you notice this change when it started or did it happen in such a way that eventually one day people woke up and it was there and you just totally now accept it.

The other thing I would like to know about is religion, which seemed to have been the cement that held many communities together.. how has the demise of congregations broken up and isolated everyone, and what effect has this had on the young people that are growing up in an environment without the stability of a community. What are the things you have noticed that really have made a change to the old ways.. and how much has technology played a part in keeping Sheffield, Sheffield.. or turning it into a 'new city'. I am sorry, I know I go on.. but would dearly love to know what about any experiences the people of Sheffield might share with me from any angle or opinion.. Thanks

Carol XX :help:

That's a lot of questions! Why are you interested in Sheffield particularly? Is it for a course you are doing?

Hi, yes, I am doing a BA in Fine Art and have been retracing a found object, a boxed set of Fish Knives and forks made by J Lodge Ltd Sheffield.

I am now doing my dissertation on the three industrial revolutions, this came about after visiting Sheffield to retrace the places that J Lodge had occupied since the late 1800's..

I ended up in Solly Street.. and met a lot of people that told me so many things about the changes that they had lived through, I also noticed the regeneration projects going on in the city and the demolition of many buildings... But it was the people that I talked to that really interested me, because of the drastic changes they had witnessed over the years..and their adaptability to change but at the same time hold on to their past through these changes, even today in the so called 'Third Industrial Revolution': The information age, where new technological businesses are springing up all around you there is a huge pride in there heritage.. and so there should be, Sheffield is amazing!!

Thanks for asking

Carol X

sheffield is been invaded by foreigners (not talking about students they are very welcome, long as they take jobs here when finished, or go back home).

the city is full of crime and altho its had a big redevelopment (paid for by debt which we wont be able to pay back soon)... theres no real industry here anymore and we cant provide our own food from the local countryside anymore.

we are a pathetic city with no real identity, our cultural identity and history is slowly been destroyed by many things...

we are finished

i hope im wrong, but the rumbling of millions of people who died for this country turning in their graves

Thanks Thomas, You are not the first to mention these concerns, I received an email yesterday from a lady who once lived in the Broomhill area.. the changes she talked about are incredibly disturbing...

Thanks again

Carol X

The area around St Vincents is certainly changing incredibly fast. Both the buildings and the population itself seem to be in the process of being replaced. I don't know how significant this really is though. Huge changes took place during the Industrial Revolution and a whole way of life was destroyed then, but those were the kind of changes that created Sheffield in the first place. I don't actually *like* the current changes but it could just be my age.

sheffield is been invaded by foreigners (not talking about students they are very welcome, long as they take jobs here when finished, or go back home).

the city is full of crime and altho its had a big redevelopment (paid for by debt which we wont be able to pay back soon)... theres no real industry here anymore and we cant provide our own food from the local countryside anymore.

we are a pathetic city with no real identity, our cultural identity and history is slowly been destroyed by many things...

we are finished

i hope im wrong, but the rumbling of millions of people who died for this country turning in their graves

Are you for real? :o