Coming to live in Sheffield

Hi everyone. My sister and I, born in Sheffield but currently 'down south' want to buy somewhere, probably in south/south-west areas. Want to pay up to £300,000 in area with local shops, open spaces, good public transport - we are in our 50s. Like look of Dronfield, Dore, Mosborough, bits of Totley. What are they like? Any other good ideas?

I like Woodseats, plenty of shops, a huge park and good ttransport links to the city centre.

I always suggest to people new to the city that they rent initially so as to give themselves time to thoroughly research an area and see it at various times of the day.

hi

all them areas all fine -ive an idea why dont you buy our semi on main street at hacken thorpe for £130.000 -then take your time sussing all the areas out even though this is a nice area too -you then can make an informed decision

Chris

Having lived in Sheffield all my life and also liking close access to the peak district my favorite areas are:

Whirlow

Ecclesall

Dore

Beauchief

Of course you have to do further researsch to make sure you pick the right road but the above I would say are all genrally nice areas to live with close access to the countryside.

thanks for that. We are thinking about renting first, or maybe staying with relatives while we check out areas properly. will have a look at all those areas mentioned. Sorry, not buying in Hackenthorpe!

I agree with Fudbeer. You won't get a massive place in those area's but they are nice. Don't move to Woodseats, it's a dump!

hi folks , totley is nice , castle pub has jazz nite every other tuesday . area,s of woodseats are not all a dump, abbey lane is nice . iam a joiner looking for future customers ,07861379796 ta jeff . good luck

OK, my woodseats coment might have been a bit harsh but for a couple in their 50's looking for somewhere nice I don't think it ticks many boxes!

:)

South Sheffields spot on,you haveSouthall,Mosboro,Beighton all close to everything you need,also great road links to sheff,chesterfield,donny,rotherham and worksop.

The things the OP asked for are available in Woodseats which is an area larger than the main shopping area and side roads off Chesterfield road. The houses range from two bedroomed terraces to detached five bedroom properties.

Totley has not got a decent amount of local shops and the public transport is not all that frequent although it is nice to be able to stroll out into the Peak Distric

Dore is like a village with some shops represented but it can feel very isolated in winter especially if you are relying on public ttransport.

I think some people are just seeing the price of house the OP can afford and some how ignoring the other criteria, Whirlow for example has no shopsis far too high up and so can be lethal in bad icy weather and although the chance to walk out into open countryside is nice the transport again is an issue..

I have lived in Dronfield my whole life and love the area!

We are currently looking for tenants to rent our house out. Please see link and if you are interested please contact Blundells.

http://homesearch-sheffield.co.uk/lettings/detail.php?id=blundells_ennerdaleclose15&query=lop%3D0%26hip%3D2500%26Sheffield_18%3DSheffield%2B18%26imageField_x%3D38%26imageField_y%3D20%26page%3D0

Thanks