A mouse found in the house - advice needed

I once found a young dormouse. Poor thing was curled up out in the open. Worried about cats, we put him in an old hamster cage and kept him warm, but he died within a few hours. :(

Aww! :( At least you helped the poor guy as much as you could!

Do we have a big mouse problem at the moment in Sheffield? I've heard of lots of people who have found mice in their houses recently.

I live right near a river and the buggers are always trying to get in :hihi:

I've got pots of mouse poison all over just incase

Poison = pointless, all you do is suppress the problem, they'll be back and it costs you a fortune in the mean time.

Block up the holes, i.e seal your flat (they'll be in other blocks but your friend can seal her one off most likely). The kitchen kickboards are most likely to blame so get some expanding foam / caulk and start filling. Cover grates with a fine mesh. Problem solved.

Any rodent will stick around as long as it has food and shelter, if you remove one or both things, it leaves. Simple isn't it? Currently it has shelter and it's finding something to eat (crumbs on the floor probably), if you seal it's entrance and exit routes (the mouse poo will be a giveaway), you'll not just solve the problem but you won't need to carry on pretending you've solved in.

It's really miraculous that a whole industry has built up around pest extermination playing on people's fears when the answer is so much simpler than that - but no one wants to tell you that, they enjoy making the money out of it.

we get mice sometimes.

they come from the wall cavity and out from under our gas fire. this as happened twice since we moved in 16 years ago. it seems to be after some building work as been done either here or next door.

it sounds like it was a baby that as already been poisoned and was dying.

ours started with the adults venturing out onto the hearth to take the bait once they have took it back to the nest they die, sometimes the babies come out if the parents have died and they do the same.

we used to just sit and watch the little buggers, very fast. infact i put up a picture last year of ours that i managed to take.

good luck with it all

Start worrying when the mail has the mouses name on it.

Mice are actually very tiny - the size of your thumb sounds about right. I got a good look at one not long ago when our cat killed it :o

A few years ago we had a mouse problem and solved it within a few weeks using humane traps....

We caught them alive and released them out in the fields......this made me feel better about not killing a creature myself but if a Hawk or Owl etc ate it for din dins then, hey - thats nature :D

I wouldnt recommend poison myself, as said before it only suppresses the problem as opposed to solving it also, as well as the cost there is another issue with poison....when the mice eat it, they die - great but do you want your cavity walls and subfloors full of decaying rodents? not only will it create an unpleasant smell, come summertime you will have another pest problem.......Flies!

Hi we've got mice upstairs loads of droppings and sightings had them last year,council came and put traps with poison down didn't catch or find any dead ones waste of time.

Does anyone know where to buy humane traps in city center tried wilkinsons but only had snap traps.thanks.