Britannia road darnall

I have just been looking at the 1911 census and found my grandparents used to live at 10ct 7 britannia road darnell. Does it still exist? He was a colliery shunter.

it still exists, but abit derelict. I think the infamous murderer Charlie Peace also lived on britannia road

Hi..my moms aunt and uncle used to live on britannia road..their names were harold and ada sampson..forgotten what number tho..but i can remember going to visit with my mom and from main road end it was just a short way down on the right hand side...round about where the library was or is....

many thanks poppy my grandparents were george and rachel freestone

I doubt that the exact house and court will still be in existence, as Darnall was extensively clearanced, in the 60's and 70's, and much of the housing was demolished.

There is a Lidl Supermarket on the road, these days, but there is very little of any of the original buildings surviving.

many thanks plain talker. my grandmother lived 1919 and 1920 at 20 onslow road and 20 carrington road sheffield, would you know what sort of accomodation this would have been e.g boarding houses, pubs, terrace housing etc. my grandmother was a cook at rotherham before moving to sheffield and I am trying to track down her lifestyle. a guess will do

many thanks plain talker. my grandmother lived 1919 and 1920 at 20 onslow road and 20 carrington road sheffield, would you know what sort of accomodation this would have been e.g boarding houses, pubs, terrace housing etc. my grandmother was a cook at rotherham before moving to sheffield and I am trying to track down her lifestyle. a guess will do

Onslow and Carrington roads are adjacent to each other in the Ecclesall/ Greystones/Hunter's Bar area of Sheffield, not far from Endcliffe Park. They are terraced houses, but a bit more "upmarket" than the ones in the Darnall area.

There aren't many pubs close to these roads.

I couldn't tell you if they were boarding houses, the properties round there were generally residential, and tended to be owned by lower-middle-class professionals.

Use to live on Britannia road many years ago My dad lived in 13 Britannia Rd from 1961 to 1978 family Madden not many house on that road. I am the last of 9 children so I came into life 1972 but still remember alot of Darnell and the surrounding areas... Anyone remebers the Madden's.......

You family name rings a bell

My dad lived at No 44 Brittania Road from 1926 - 1944 and remembers his grandad telling him about Charlie Peace lodging at No 40.

Hi,there freebee,just seen your thread,i am new to this, so i am just going through the threads.my brother-in-law and his wife have lived on CARRINGTON RD for the last forty years,and right across the street from number 20.plaintalker was correct of course, they are mostly residental. The only business, is FRANKLINS,carpet cleaning etc,on ONSLOW RD,at GREYSTONES RD, the older pubs are further up ECCLESALL RD. My wife and i always stay with them,when we are visiting from CANADA, which is quite frequently and we have been on many vacations together so we know the area very well .hope i have helped a little bit. bye for now.eightlegger.