The telephonists of long ago

I have recently met Hazel in Australia who is on holiday here.

We both went to see another Sheffielder who lived in Australia, Dorothy Carter, Dot lived at Heeley before emigrating with her husband Stan Carter and Stan's brother Eric Carter who was married to Janet.

Dot Carter had her Sister-in-law Janet visiting her and straightaway I knew I had worked with her years ago as a telephonist at the GPO Fitzalan Square.

Janet Gambles was a colleague at the GPO over 50 yrs ago and as we talked about old times I remembered there was a thread on here talking about the GPO, telephonists and messinger boys.

regards

Vhopkinson

My mum used to work at the GPO many moons ago..

I'm not sure if she was married at the time or not, but her name was Andrea Adams before she was married, and Thompson after she was married...

I know a Kathleen Stead who worked there perhaps in the time scale you remember.

Duffems.

My cousin, Julie Cadman nee Robinson worked there a long time ago.

My cousin, Julie Cadman nee Robinson worked there a long time ago.

i never worked at fitzallen square but i did work for gpo and started at hallam exchange 30 years ago this year. I still remember most of the people i worked with over the years, some smashing people and some smashing times.

On the subject of telephonists, many years ago there were some brilliant people doing this job in countless firms all over Sheffield and district. For instance, I remember some of the girls on the switchboard at Newton Chambers in the late 1950s/early 60s, like Sally Platts, Pat Neely and a girl called Evelyn, who won an award as Telephonist of the Year in about 1961. Then at International Twist Drill in Claywheels Lane there was a girl called Christine Kilner who had a sweet voice that was pleasant on the ear. There was also a lady called Madge Gill in the Intal Watery Street offices.

I worked as a telephonist for a short while in a small haberdashery shop in the Wicker, Jews owned it, it was on the right hand side going towards town right next to the arches, I think it was a wholesale outlet, that was in the 50s, can't think of the name.

I think it was called something like Kaplins now I think about it.

Thank you for the very interesting replies there. I can,t put a face to any of the names there. There were about 60 girls altogether I think. 50 years is a long time to remember I can't remember what happened last week sometimes. Redfyre, we used to have a lot to do with the telelphonist in the big industries there' I knew a lot of the telephist but of course never got to see them.

We used to have long conversations when we were not busy, Blind dates were the go then meeting place was under the GPO clock. it was fun cause if you weren't sure who'd be there we used to wait in the tram shelter across the road there to see who turned up LOL.check em out!!

Good times were had and never got into too much mischief

I carried on that career when I came to Australia and retired a few years ago.

Regards Vera

Does anyone remember Ken Naylor?

Happy Days

PopT

My mum, Evelyn Wilson worked as a telephonist/ telegraphist at Fitzalan Square during the war years with a group of friends, many of whom continued working at the post office. She left Sheffield in the 1960s, but the others all met up regularly for 'hen nights' for the next few decades. Jean, Jean, Norma, Brenda, Pam, Marjorie are names that spring to mind.

I worked as a telephonist for a short while in a small haberdashery shop in the Wicker, Jews owned it, it was on the right hand side going towards town right next to the arches, I think it was a wholesale outlet, that was in the 50s, can't think of the name.

I think it was called something like Kaplins now I think about it.

Was it Caplan, popps?

Did there used to be an exchange at the bottom of West St?

The first job I worked on as an apprentice painter after leaving school was this building.(Using a pumice block to rub down the walls)

There were lots of young females in the building,I had not yet been able to buy any overalls and was devastated when a young girl asked me if I was "Bob a jobbing"