Stashbustalong 2009

So far I am a spectacular failure at this stashbusting business. Since agreeing to the stashbustalong I have bought the following

- Lots and lots of the 69p a ball stuff in Atkinsons sale (now half a purple fluffy jumper - what was I thinking! - and half a scarf, but there's plenty left)

- Some pink rowan baby aran in case I need to knit baby girl stuff (now a baby bolero).

- 6 more balls of pink baby aran, reason as above.

- 2 skeins of lovely colinette yarn for a birthday present (now a beautiful hat and mitts).

- 5 balls red chunky yarn because I need it for something and Jill only had a few balls left.

- 4 balls of soft lux because my sister-in-law wants a hat to go with her scarf and if I bought double what I needed I wouldn't have to pay the £1.50 postage.

And I have knitted up just one ball from my previously existing stash - a hat.

I'm hoping that by writing it all down and posting it on a public forum I'll shock and embarass myself into trying harder next time... is there a support group for failed stashbusters?

I hope so, cryinglion, because i've done almost exactly the same, Atkinsons and Jill somehow finding a use for the money i wasn't going to spend on yarn, and an 18th birthday calling too. Yarnoholics anonymous!

:lol: I too went to see Jill yesterday and came out with 12 balls of Stylecraft luxury merino. On the plus side though I have nearly finished the swirly galaxy socks - hurrah :D Im going to close the original thread as it seems silly having 2 threads talking about the same thing - hope thats OK.

I have to admit to a weakness. I have bought wool for an afghan. But I have crocheted some more squares so I have used a little. Whoops!!

If not buying yarn is the only thing we are useless at then good on us!

Not buying yarn would be unnatural and wrong, but I've realised I buy lovely yarn and then tuck it away "for later"; which if I'm being honest with myself is a bit pointless.

I realised recently I've got enough yarn to make 14 jumpers or cardigans, two felted bags, two blankets, and so many pairs of socks that it makes me feel slightly ill. My ultimate aim at the end of this year is to have got the stash down by at least one box full - permanently. Feel free to tell me I've bitten off more then I can chew!

I've actually parted with some yarn. I'm having a panic attack!!! I am selling 2 balls via ravelry. 2 whole balls! I'm sweating at the thought of doing it. The baskets will look so empty without it....aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Here is my stashbusting update:

The Galaxy socks are finally done :D I ended up knitting on 2.75mm needles and casting on 64 stitches to get the swirling - as these would have been too big I knitted them in a k3p1 rib which seems to work rather well.

The Dew scarf is finally done - hurrah! Like the scarf and the Rowan tapestry yarn is lovely too.

So what next - the final sleeve of my Jaden sweater or finish of the Brioche throw - ho hum choices choices.

So far this year I've knitted 14 (complete) balls of wool - and another one or two to add today (emergency birthday socks...who says I leave stuff to the last minute?!)

I have to say, it isn't exactly making much of a difference. This could turn out to be quite a long process....

I have completed around 100 crochet squares so have used up numerous oddments and many complete balls. HAve not kept count.

Have knitted the cable beret, from the first Debbie Bliss mag for my neighbour, who is a complete super star, in some green aran that i bought about 1000 grams of. Got about 700 grams of it left now.

I have made myself a bedsock from some Wensleydale Aran I have had for a while. (its wool by the way, NOT cheese!). I have impressed myself because I started it on Sunday night and finished it on Monday night. I have my son to thank for that - he was poorly :gag: all night and I was sitting up with him and managed to knit to keep myself conscious. Semi-conscious is more like it. I suspect I made mistakes but I will not go looking for them. The second sock will probably take a lot longer...