Wi-fi info reqd

is there anyone out there who knows how to connect a home pc & laptop &

playstation 3 wi-fi.

getting nagged to death by er,indoors & grandkids about ethernet cables running all over the house.

if possible in english or even better in sheffield speak.

like narden dee:help::help::help:

Your laptop should have a built in wireless card assuming it's not ancient. Also your PS3 has built-in wireless. Your PC will need to probably get bought a new gift of a wirelss usb stick which looks like a memory stick and plugs in the USB ports.

You then need a wireless router which plugs into your modem. Which type of router you need will depend on if you have ADSL (BT) or Cable (Virgin Media).

You can get good wireless routers for under £40 nowadays, and some come bundled with the aforementioned wireless USB stick. Most come with veu good instructions. For newcomers I'd recommend either Netgear of Buffalo brands as they are very easy to set up.

Make sure you encrypt your Wireless so no-one else can use it. Again instructions should be good enough but if you get stuck lots of people here to help!

charley999

You've got the answer - very comprehensive too, only mod I'd suggest is try and co-locate your home pc and wifi router, then you can have a mix of (tidy) cable from home pc to router, and wifi to laptop and ps3

I have had many issues with dropouts and the USB wifi sticks. It's all that "usb port down low on the back where it's screened by earthed metal" shenannigins. Trust me you don't want to start getting metal sieves and pringles tubes out.

The inbuilt laptop versions are much better, same with ps3/wii inbuilt adapters