Where did Pearl Street go

Cheers for that Blodsy... The only reason i thought it ended around '74, was because my brother had an Evil Knievel and the playground i believe went from being the playground to being fenced off and a place for lorries. We used the site after the playground had gone, to do jumps over things like Knievel did with our bikes and that was 1975/6 period. I do think that the playground had well gone by 1976. (ps i do now think it lasted into 1975, as i can recall my bike being taken off me by one of the Smiths boys and that would have been later than March 1975, when i got it for my birhday. But by the end of '75, i think the playground was no more.)

grew up round there, too, joe, used to use the playground, too, was in the same class as Donna Smith, and I seem to remember it was at least the end of 75 when the adventure playground disappeared.

Hi Mick, would you know in which year Pearl St Playground began and ended? I was only eight in 1973 and I went to the playground until it was ended, which must have been about 1974 no later, but not sure. Be nice to know when it begun (exact year) and exact year of closing. And why it closed as well.

Sorry not been on for a while , 1982 the play ground closed and staff moved to Mount Pleasant park site. Tony Tigwell left around 1978. Believe the playground opened around 1969 though it started off as a voluntary run thing before the council took over.

Sorry not been on for a while , 1982 the play ground closed and staff moved to Mount Pleasant park site. Tony Tigwell left around 1978. Believe the playground opened around 1969 though it started off as a voluntary run thing before the council took over.

yes, It can't have moved to mount pleasant before 1979 as the houses were still there. The other side (Sherrington road and Cecil road had been cleared, in readiness for the school and the park, but hadn't quite been finished at that time.)

yes, It can't have moved to mount pleasant before 1979 as the houses were still there. The other side (Sherrington road and Cecil road had been cleared, in readiness for the school and the park, but hadn't quite been finished at that time.)

There were no houses inbetween Pearl St and Mackenzie Street well before 1979!!! And I cannot for the life of me recall "Pearl Street Playground" being around still into the 80's. Surely it ended well before then, sometime in the middish 70's, surely.

There used to be a childrens playground at the very top of Pearl St, but as for Tony Tigwells "Pearl St Playground", surely it didn't last as long as 1978.

I will stand corrected, but my memory of PSP was of it ending much sooner than 1978.

There were no houses inbetween Pearl St and Mackenzie Street well before 1979!!! And I cannot for the life of me recall "Pearl Street Playground" being around still into the 80's. Surely it ended well before then, sometime in the middish 70's, surely.

There used to be a childrens playground at the very top of Pearl St, but as for Tony Tigwells "Pearl St Playground", surely it didn't last as long as 1978.

I will stand corrected, but my memory of PSP was of it ending much sooner than 1978.

I know there were no houses there, as that's precisely where the playground was. I was referring to Mount Pleasant Road.

Brian Chapman married my cousin Pat Walker who lived at 13 Mackenzie St. unfortunately Brian passed away a few years ago. That was the last time I also saw Roy is brother

Hello Soulseeeker1, I have fond memories of Brian Chapman, we were in the same class throughout our school years at Sharrow Lane, he was a decent footballer and someone once told me, can't remember who, that he did quite well for himself in later years and also that he had passed away. A relative of his one John Chapman lives near me.

Brian Chapman married my cousin Pat Walker who lived at 13 Mackenzie St. unfortunately Brian passed away a few years ago. That was the last time I also saw Roy is brother

hi soulseeker, i knew brian, from pearl st.he was one of my brothers best mates, my brother is called roy.

Hello Givin, Roy who? I knew Roy Robinson, he too was in the same class as Brian and I.

hi Sharovian, yes Brian was a good footballer, he was also into fishing, in his working life he was a joiner, he worked for a company called JJ Harvey to which he was their foreman, most of their work was for Tetley's Brewery refurbishing their pubs, I didn't know any of his other relatives apart from his brother.

Hi Soulseeker, thanks for the reply, searching my memory I believe someone told me he lived up Millhouses Lane which is quite a way from Pearl St. so as I said he did well for himself.

Hi Sharrovian, Brian and Pat lived most of their lives on Dobcroft Rd. and in their later years moved onto the estate behind the Big Tree at Woodseats.