Where did Pearl Street go

Yeah the wheel game was certainly played a few times as was running down the hut roof and landing in the sand pit. I think mark used to do that too, though his brother Dave used to hang around Mount pleasant. Do you remember the ducks and geese and other animals kept on site by the smith brothers? Rod I think the main one was. Very different to the playground at Highfields.

Ah, sliding down the roof into the sandpit now that brings back memories. I feel like I should know you?

One mate of mine, John Macavanny (not sure if spelling is correct), use to do a backward summersault off the roof onto a pile of old mattresses. I also remember making dens out of old doors and playing pileup on the Tarzan swing. (Always a ball-acher if you were first one on.)

I knew all of the Greenwoods and all of the Smiths. Yes, you’re right about the Greenwoods they mainly hung out in the old Mount Pleasant building at the bottom of Sharrow Lane. I think they, and a few others down there, went by the name of The Learners. We use to have a few head-to-heads with them but in the end we all ended up as mates. They had motorbikes, big ones, Yamaha I think. Glen Greenwood came off his, mashed his knee up in a big way and was trussed up in bandages for quite a long time. I went out with his sister, Derrin, for a short time and remember going to see him in hospital.

There were a few kids on that playground that had pigeon lofts, but yes you’re right about Rod Smith having the lions share. I think, Tim, one of his elder brothers, also had a few scraggly-looking ducks, chickens and geese up there. I was once climbing on one of his precious chicken coops when his dog ‘Rinty’ (another scraggy-looking thing - resembling Gnasher from The Beano) came running up and bit me. As if that wasn’t enough, as I was running off, Rod, pulls out his pellet gun and shoots me up the arse. Learned my lesson that day.

Lost touch with everyone since moving out of the area in the late seventies.Have you heard anything about Tony Tigwell, the guy who helped run Pearl St Adventure Playground? He was a top bloke. I'd like to know how he's getting on.

Thanks for bringing back the memories. Good to reminisce. :)

Hello here are some more names for you ,Bellemy ,Mellors ,Hemmingham ,Chapmans Rita

Thanks!

Ah, sliding down the roof into the sandpit now that brings back memories. I feel like I should know you?

One mate of mine, John Macavanny (not sure if spelling is correct), use to do a backward summersault off the roof onto a pile of old mattresses. I also remember making dens out of old doors and playing pileup on the Tarzan swing. (Always a ball-acher if you were first one on.)

I knew all of the Greenwoods and all of the Smiths. Yes, you’re right about the Greenwoods they mainly hung out in the old Mount Pleasant building at the bottom of Sharrow Lane. I think they, and a few others down there, went by the name of The Learners. We use to have a few head-to-heads with them but in the end we all ended up as mates. They had motorbikes, big ones, Yamaha I think. Glen Greenwood came off his, mashed his knee up in a big way and was trussed up in bandages for quite a long time. I went out with his sister, Derrin, for a short time and remember going to see him in hospital.

There were a few kids on that playground that had pigeon lofts, but yes you’re right about Rod Smith having the lions share. I think, Tim, one of his elder brothers, also had a few scraggly-looking ducks, chickens and geese up there. I was once climbing on one of his precious chicken coops when his dog ‘Rinty’ (another scraggy-looking thing - resembling Gnasher from The Beano) came running up and bit me. As if that wasn’t enough, as I was running off, Rod, pulls out his pellet gun and shoots me up the arse. Learned my lesson that day.

Lost touch with everyone since moving out of the area in the late seventies.Have you heard anything about Tony Tigwell, the guy who helped run Pearl St Adventure Playground? He was a top bloke. I'd like to know how he's getting on.

I remember the learners when it was semi derelict (Before the education place did it up) my friends and I used to go exploring inside the building. it was really spooky.

You mentioned the Smith family. I was in the same year at school as Donna Smith. I STR she had a large family of brothers, though I didn't know them.

Tony works at abbeydale grange or did I hear its closing or something. Met him a few times over the years though not for the last two or three. Id forgotten they called Mount Pleasant the learners. That name came because they used to do driving tests from there I think . Yeah I remember the smiths Rod and Tim Shaun (Tray?) and Donna. Seemed to rule the roost round there. I remember shaun used to build dens and rent them out if he could. Talking of dogs do you remember a big black one that used to ride in a motor bike sidecar. I also remember the staff getting a christmas tree that was too big for the hut. Being practical they cut holes in the floor and ceiling to make it fit! Crazy days!

'Tony works at abbeydale grange or did I hear its closing or something. Met him a few times over the years though not for the last two or three.'

Thanks for that Mick. If anyone has a contact email address for Mr Tigwell they can contact me or get Tony to contact me via a personal message on here. Love to get in touch with him again some day.

I used to deliver groceries on a Saturday morning for Gowers and I was stood waiting for one of the women to make up the orders when I noticed a bloke, while talking to the manager , reach into a baccy barrel which stood in the passage between the shop and store. I told one of the women and she told me he was a councilor. I didn't say anything to the manager but I switched the baccy barrel for a treacle barrel when I arrived the next Saturday. You can guess the rest, what a laugh.

'Tony works at abbeydale grange or did I hear its closing or something. Met him a few times over the years though not for the last two or three.'

Thanks for that Mick. If anyone has a contact email address for Mr Tigwell they can contact me or get Tony to contact me via a personal message on here. Love to get in touch with him again some day.

Just found out tony is sixty five so he probabley retired here's a recent article link to the yorkshire post http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Revisiting-friends-in-India.5967628.jp:)

I was born 1949 on lansdowne rd next to the barbers., I remember a bloke [georgie?] use to go round canvassing at election time, singing "vote vote for mr hill" can't remember the rest, all the kids use to follow him singing along. Friends were Michelle Smith,John Hammond,who's father had the bakery on Lansdowne, Neil Kelly, me a Jonhson. We left about 62, oh to be back there.

He was a solid looking fella, was like something out of a musical, like pied piper, yes don't think he was all there, there was another character alway wore long coat and big wellie's whatever the weather, looked like he'd been down a mine.

Edited by AlAN J

oh god 'big georgie', he had a few cents short of the dollar didn't he.

I lived on beeley street,down the bottom of the moor.

I left Sheffield in 1972,what a difference ,when i went back on holiday ,mind you ,i did around all the roads ,when i left Sheffield i was in Cemetery road , my boys played football, where they had pulled the house's down Regards Rita

Hello Rita or should I say aunty Rita if I am right you were married to my uncle les the last time I saw you was many years ago in Great yarmouth

hi i know your aunty rita, shes my sister.