Where did Pearl Street go

I don't remember too much about the lower part of Pearl St as I lived the top side of Washington Road. The Co-op (bottom of Cemetary Road) I think every one used, I remember the loop system they used for sending money to different parts of the store.

garthai,

Where were you in Oman and when. I worked for Airwork from december 1979 to december 81 in Salalah and up in the jebel at Thumrate (sp).

I lived in Pearl street from 1935 -1961, i was born there .i went to St Matthias School , i was then Rita Ford,have 2 brothers ,Roy & Raymond ,also a sister ,margaret , we lived at No 67,above ,Cliff street.I left Pearl ,when they built ,the Lansdown road flats ,went round the corner to Club Garden road ,did'nt want to go on any Estate. my own son went to St Matthias ,then on to Graystones ,i would love to hear from anyone who new me, ( those were the days ). i only see Sheffield now,when i visit ,i now live in Gt Yarmouth ,Regards Rita Collins . (nee Ford )

My moms family lived on Pearl st they were the Linleys Jane , Harry my mom Patricia and her brothers Jack and Micheal she was born in 1937 My nan moved onto Parkhill flats was one of the first to live there will ask my mom if she knew you

911Wasalie,

Musqat, when the family was with me, other times various parts of the interior for PDO, I also worked in Saudi while based in the Oman.

1999-2001, I was also there when Pricess Diana got killed, but I was based in the UAE at that time.

The old lamp lighters. I can remember someone banging on the windows about 1958 to wake mum up for work, and the bomed out house opposit. I don't think they ever rebuilt it, and the factery. You could see the workers from the bedroom. I think there still is or was a gas lamp on frog walk, salter Lane?

Hi, i know mick walsh & have been in contact with him for a few years now.

pete wilson-was he a little guy ?

gordon porter rings a bell & derek green,

thats all i can remember.

who r u :)

cheers shawn

Gordon Porter is my cousin, but I have lost touch with him over the years. Do you remember his father, my Uncle Harry? He was one of the old lamp lighters (when all the street lights were lit by gas). Yes, you're right, I am old!

I used to knock about with Gordon Porter when we were in our teens and early twenties. His nick-name at that time was Sam. I remember his Dad well and can see him now in his uniform, carrying his short A shaped ladder, calling home from work. I remember when Gordon got his first motor bike. It was an ex WW2 despatch rider's bike. I think his Dad had been a despatch rider during the war.In those days Sam (that's what I still call him) was a guitarist in a group. We were all teddy boys at the time and went around with Pete Wilson (Willie). Jim and Jud Weldon, Mick Linley, Pete barton, Gordon Manning, Tommy Pollard and a few more.

I still speak to Gordon (Sam) every now and then on the phone and we occasionally go out for a drink with a few old friends. He is fit and well and lives in Dronfield now.

Hello Hodkin

Did you know Sam (Gordon) Porter, Pete Wilson, Ian Brelsford, Derek Green, or Mick Walsh?

sorry for the delay in replying...

i know mick walsh now,have been in touch with him a few years ago,

i am sure i knew pete wilson-little guy?

& gordon porter & derek green ring a bell too.

also remember a ratbag :) called george gilday, sam coster <sp> raymond smith,terry fletcher,the walkers i am in constant touch with lilian.

Then there was the kents-i am also in touch, the cawthornes who lived opposite st.m.also in touch

with anne.

The others i remember from st.m. david thompson lived oppossite st.m.

his mate was michael grimes, anne cawthorne & i took those 2 dancing at constance grants once.

There was a guy who lived down bottom of boston st., oppossite brooksbanks cutlery, think he was called william coster/cotton or similar.He joined the navy after school.

Then there was my cousins john & rita nicholson.

can't think of any more.:):)

I lived just down from, Gowers store, which was on the corner of Wostemholm Rd and Sharrow lane. I remember back in the sixties when my elder brother used to deliver groceries on a bike with a big old metal basket on the front. Can anyone remember playing on the Washington Rd flats in the seventies? Happy days.

Mrs Hill or sweaty Betty as we called her, had her 1st shop at the end of Fentonville Street on Sharrow Lane.Do you know if she's still alive?she must be getting on these days if she is.

Was that the same Mrs Hill, who inspired 'Hills Corner' in Sharrow?

Was that the same Mrs Hill, who inspired 'Hills Corner' in Sharrow?

It is, Boyfriday! However, her shop was on the corner of Priory Road and Sharrow Lane, opposite Fentonville St.

she also owned the shop on the far end of Washington Road, near the little post office (corner of Pearl Street)

Edited by Plain Talker
to add location information

The old lamp lighters. I can remember someone banging on the windows about 1958 to wake mum up for work, and the bomed out house opposit. I don't think they ever rebuilt it, and the factery. You could see the workers from the bedroom. I think there still is or was a gas lamp on frog walk, salter Lane?

The old Gas lamp is still there at the top of Frog Walk, but Frog Walk is on Cemetery road, not Psalter lane.

hi friend my old cuppa tea mate,peter pullen.straight off bus from school, petes house, nice brew. ray