Where did Pearl Street go

Anyone remember the couple who lived on Pearl St. and won 5000 quid on the pools by picking the first 4 horses in the Grand National. They had a small motorbike but he bought a Vincent HRD but had difficulty handling it it being very heavy. He was Derek Nicholson's uncle.

I'll always remember the commando slide(that's what we called it).You climbed up some rickety wooden tower and then went down at an angle over what seemed a distance of around 200ft in to an old mattress.I also remember one hot summer when us kids were allowed to tie one of the people who helped out there to the roof(Mr TT me thinks)and we launched water bombs at him for what seemed ages.It's got me thinking this thread,do you remember that great little Chinese takeaway at the end of Langdon Street towards Mckenzie Street.

Hey I remember TT , What a great bloke he was, top man! I remember the old mattress too. If I'm not mistaken there were a few of them lying around the place :) I spent pretty much every weekend and evening down at that adventure playground, oh happy days. Do you recall a little scruffy looking kid with a curly barnet called Paddy? If you do, before you say anything I ought to mention, that was me :)

Hey,

Could I possibly get these pictures as well. My family are all from the area (mostly Landon St) Betty and Stanley Blackwell, and Barbara Blackwell I think was around the same age.

Thanks.

Hey, I lived in the next yard to 'Auntie Betty' and 'Uncle Stan' as they were known to me. And of course my old best buddy John Blackwell!

Can you remember a little scruffy kid he went by the name Paddy? if you can, before you decide to comment, thats me! :)

Garthai,

Do you remember piggy Astle, Derek and Brian Nicholson or Peter Elliot all lived on Fentonville st.

I lived on Priory Terrace, moved there in 1942 from Meersbrook, my name is Doug. Kay I had 5 brothers and 5 sisters, one brother and one sister sadly died but the rest of us are staggering along. I and my younger brothers and sisters went to St Mathias but luckily I only went there my last year, the standard was very low compared to my previous school Meersbrook Bank on Derbyshire lane.

I've lived in Florida for 15 years and before that 11 years on a boat in the Med.

I remember the old couple who kept the newsagents/bakery at the corner of Priory Rd and Sharrow lane probably till the end of the war.

Hi Doug,

I'm Geoff

I left Fentonville St 1962, we moved to Woodseats, Chesterfield Rd. I travilled1965-1969, I married in 69, made Sheffield our home base, initially buying a small terrace house on Bedale Rd Sheffield (side of the Abbeydale cinema to Broadfield Road)

I stilled travelled but moved into Derbyshire in the late 80's. (88/89) I've lived in Thailand since 1995 and After my wife died in 1997, I remarried also 1997 to a Thai .

I retired Christmas 2008,

Due to the nature of my work, I must have been to over a third of the world countries, including Tampa Florrida (few days) working on an offshore (Gulf ) pipeline from Approx Mobile . I worked out of Houston for several years, during that time I was in Ecuador, Trinnidad and various parts of the US. (Still living in Thailand 12 weeks work 3 weeks leave.

My last 2 years work I was working on Sakhalin Island (Russia) an Island north of Japan just off the Russian mainland. Work 7 weeks 3 weeks home. Long winters short summers, I recorded minus 43 Centigrade.

Hi Doug,

I'm Geoff

I left Fentonville St 1962, we moved to Woodseats, Chesterfield Rd. I travilled1965-1969, I married in 69, made Sheffield our home base, initially buying a small terrace house on Bedale Rd Sheffield (side of the Abbeydale cinema to Broadfield Road)

I stilled travelled but moved into Derbyshire in the late 80's. (88/89) I've lived in Thailand since 1995 and After my wife died in 1997, I remarried also 1997 to a Thai .

I retired Christmas 2008,

Due to the nature of my work, I must have been to over a third of the world countries, including Tampa Florrida (few days) working on an offshore (Gulf ) pipeline from Approx Mobile . I worked out of Houston for several years, during that time I was in Ecuador, Trinnidad and various parts of the US. (Still living in Thailand 12 weeks work 3 weeks leave.

My last 2 years work I was working on Sakhalin Island (Russia) an Island north of Japan just off the Russian mainland. Work 7 weeks 3 weeks home. Long winters short summers, I recorded minus 43 Centigrade.

Hi Geoff, i was brought up on Washington Road in the sixties and seventies. It appears i'm a bit younger than you but I also have family and friends living and working in BKK Thailand now. Whereabouts do you live in Thailand? I spend quite a bit of time there too when I can. Small world...Sawadee krab :)

Asawin,

I live northern Thailand Chiangmai, we've been here coming up 12 years (April/Songkran)

before that we had a house at Ban Chang/Rayong.

I worked a few months on the outskirts of Bangkok, Ransitt various pipelnes.

Rayong to BangNa Then basically BagNa to Rangsit plus several months in the Rayong area, before traveling overseas again.

Where have you been in Thailand?

Asawin,

I live northern Thailand Chiangmai, we've been here coming up 12 years (April/Songkran)

before that we had a house at Ban Chang/Rayong.

I worked a few months on the outskirts of Bangkok, Ransitt various pipelnes.

Rayong to BangNa Then basically BagNa to Rangsit plus several months in the Rayong area, before traveling overseas again.

Where have you been in Thailand?

My wife is from Nonthaburi BKK, but we live in Sheffield now. I've spent time in Rayong and Chiang Mai, lovely part of the world! I miss the place soooo much. Need to get over there again soon! Might look you up on my next trip out there and buy you a cold one :)

Take care.

Hello Hodkin

Did you know Sam (Gordon) Porter, Pete Wilson, Ian Brelsford, Derek Green, or Mick Walsh?

Hi, i know mick walsh & have been in contact with him for a few years now.

pete wilson-was he a little guy ?

gordon porter rings a bell & derek green,

thats all i can remember.

who r u :)

cheers shawn

Hello Hodkin

Did you know Sam (Gordon) Porter, Pete Wilson, Ian Brelsford, Derek Green, or Mick Walsh?

Hi, i know mick walsh & have been in contact with him for a few years now.

pete wilson-was he a little guy ?

gordon porter rings a bell & derek green,

thats all i can remember.

who r u :)

cheers shawn

Gordon Porter is my cousin, but I have lost touch with him over the years. Do you remember his father, my Uncle Harry? He was one of the old lamp lighters (when all the street lights were lit by gas). Yes, you're right, I am old!

Bet your wife finds Sheffield a culture shock to Thailand & how does she handle the weather?

Asawin,

My wife can't handle the cold mornings here, never mind the UK. She's been a few places with me China, Vietnam, Singapore, UAE ,Oman & Bangladesh, We have a 11 year old boy & once he was in full time school her travelling stopped. The last time they was with me was in Vietnam & I think that was over 5 years ago.

My son & I went to Australia on holiday 2009 during his school holidays he loved it and we had temperatures around 4 deg C in Sydney, visiting the Blue mountains where it had snowed the day previous (all had disapeared by the time we got there)We only stayed 4 days in Sydney & then went up to Brisbane the temperatures were more favorable 17 coldest 21 warmest, too cold for swimming (for us) but we wents to various theme parks , some several times.

I retired last year, not too old only 62, & his school activities keep me busy. He's heavy into sports & his school activities go into the week ends and long after normal school time 14:40 Hrs finishes. He either wants to be picked up at 16:00 or 16:30. He's at school on Saturday 9:00 until 15:00 this Saturday rehearsal for a school show next month.

We play chess , go 10 pin bowling & play manopoly (Sheffield edition, which my oldest son brought over last November(Xmas presant)

I have an avairy , budgies, love birds , cockatails & doves (all breading at the moment)

I have fish outside the house & inside the house, so I'm kept pretty busy & time flies by) not fogetting 2 dogs, 1 sleaps with us & goes with us practically every where.

Anyway take care it was good to hear from you.

Hi I lived on Pear Street, just before the stream. Pearl street run through Pear Street and the Rising Sun pub on the corner of both, the Edwards run it about 1963 I loved living there as a young girl. My mother worked for Twist Drill in the School, Mary Coles lived across the Road we were friends. I can remember going to the old Co Op for mum and climing the cemetery wall