Where did Pearl Street go

My mom was raised on Pearl Street, about the time you were there

Her name was Patricia Linley she has 2 brothers Jack and Micheal..she asks if anyone remembers any of these ..Doris Kemp, Madge Hopkins, Audrey Barber, Pam Dunger, Judith Barton, Jean Crowe, Barbara Robinson and finally the terrible duo, Kieth Wild and Don Brown who went to St Matthias.

I vividly remember the adventure playground PT,health and safety would throw the book at it these days.Mrs Hill or sweaty Betty as we called her, had her 1st shop at the end of Fentonville Street on Sharrow Lane.Do you know if she's still alive?she must be getting on these days if she is.

Hi Webster gue,I remember it well. W hen the houes was pulled down in Pearl street ,we moved to Club garden rd ,then they pulled Club garden rd down ,so we moved to Cemetery rd,and stayed there.our back came into pearl street sowe could still ,get to the shops around there .We use yo go to the chippie,on langdon street ,Nora'sthe chips were great.The top half of Pearl street was still there,but the houses were empty,they were still empty when we left on 1972 ,so i got a shock ,when i came over ,and they had rebuilt ,we walked all around sharrow lane,it was great to see it again ,old memories ,wished i was still there ,Regards Rita Collins (nee FORD )

Hi again Rita,

Unfortunately I can't remember many names from that period. I only new a few children (as then) my age off Pearl St.

There was a gennel that connected Pearl St to Mackenzie St. a link to the corner shops on Langdon St.

(I've just looked up the street names on google earth)

The boys and girls (from Pearl st) we played with lived close proximity to the gennel. Pearl street had back yards the joined Mackenzie st sperated by a high wall (diferent levels) We could climb the wall side on Mackenzie st and view the yards.

Bonfire night was at the top end of Mackenzie St & the corner of Fentonville

But there were hundreds of bonfire parties then, top end of Pearl st etc.

The reason & looked up this website was to see if I reckonized any names.

I had friends on Mackenzie St & Fentonville, The Walkers lived at the top of Mackenzie St.

But it's still good to reminisce about that era. leaving Fentoville St approx 1962 to go live at Woodseats, the 60's being what it was I did a lot of travelling settling in a job that I liked (all parts of the U.K and the latter all parts of the world) which became my career.

Hi again Rita,

Unfortunately I can't remember many names from that period. I only new a few children (as then) my age off Pearl St.

There was a gennel that connected Pearl St to Mackenzie St. a link to the corner shops on Langdon St.

(I've just looked up the street names on google earth)

The boys and girls (from Pearl st) we played with lived close proximity to the gennel. Pearl street had back yards the joined Mackenzie st sperated by a high wall (diferent levels) We could climb the wall side on Mackenzie st and view the yards.

Bonfire night was at the top end of Mackenzie St & the corner of Fentonville

But there were hundreds of bonfire parties then, top end of Pearl st etc.

The reason & looked up this website was to see if I reckonized any names.

I had friends on Mackenzie St & Fentonville, The Walkers lived at the top of Mackenzie St.

But it's still good to reminisce about that era. leaving Fentoville St approx 1962 to go live at Woodseats, the 60's being what it was I did a lot of travelling settling in a job that I liked (all parts of the U.K and the latter all parts of the world) which became my career.

Hi Garthai I lived in the middle part of Pearl street ,but i do have some names if they will help you ,where i lived most of them went to Sharrow lane school.The family next door to us ,were the Willis's,there was Jimmy ,Peter,Rodney ,David ,and Susan,one of them should be around your age,also the Cooksons ,and the Chapmans brothers. At the top of Pearl street was the Lowe twins ,and they had younger brothers and sisters.I hope this is some help to you .Regards Rita

Rita,

Many years ago, the names don't sound familiar (pitty) Living mid Pearl, would put you in the area ajacent to Mackenzie & Fentonville, and the kids who used the Langdon St. shops.

Looking through other lists in this website I came accross Dago Latin, that remended my that 1 of the older girls off Pearl St trying to get us speak Dog Latin.

Either way it's been good to talk, take care & have a good day.

regards,

Doing my family tree over the past few years I have relatives that lived on Pearl Street. They were called Priest and John Priest was married to my Great Grandmother Eliza Lycett unfortunately he was died the day before his daughter was born. I believe there was quite a few family members in the area around the same time. It would have been aroun 1895 onwards or may be even earlier. My Great Grandmother then moved back to Princess Street in Attercliffe to her family.

As I lived on Fentonville street (otherside of the yard to Pearl St)I don't recall the Priest family)

Good luck with your family tree.

I went to Sharrow Lane School and there were two Chapmans around at the time, Brian who was in my class and I think Barry was the other one, he was older. Brian and I left in 1952 at the age of 15. Three-quarters of the class lived on Franklin Street and Pearl Street.

From 1871 - 1895the priests lived at 5, Court 3 Pearl Street. Previous to this they lived 9 No 4 Court Sheldon Street

William - Dad

Eliza - Mum

Joseph - Son

John - Son (my great grandfather)

James - Son

Emily - Daughter

Rebeccas - Daughter

Sarah - Daughter

George - Son

Harry - Son

There were also borders living their

Thos Vincent Law

Sydney Smith

Does anyone remember the little manufacturing company on Pearl Street. Went there once in the early fifties, but cant remember what sort of building it was. They made Shampoo's for the Hairdressing trade.

I lived in Pearl street from 1935 -1961, i was

Hi rita,

i used to live on beeley st., also went to st.m & greystones.

I left uk in 1967 & visited a couple of times since.

I have contact with an old neighbour lillian walker, who lived accross the 'yard'

i think their address was on er um what was the road from way up top where we used to sledge down,it ran right down to beeley st.,/london rd.,

the locals used to bring out coal embers & put a heap accross the top end of this road to stop us going onto washington rd.,

I remember lansdowne rd., where the kents lived, its the next road-was it hill st.,??

my uncle his son were the local bookies,god it was funny to see 2 big overweight blokes running down the street with a cop chasing them.

Also i am in contact with michael walsh who used to live on cliff st., i think.

Old names i remember cawthorne,kent,walsh,webster,fletcher,etc.,

someone mentioned keith wild, they lived next door to us.

Keith was nearly killed in a work accident back then,

he fell off scaffolding at i think was lodge moor hospital & he went head first into boiling hot tar. Was in hospital a long time. I was just a kid so don't remember much.

He had a younger spoilt rotten brother, (their mother was weird,father not much better)

the mortons lived at the other side of us.