Where did Pearl Street go

I lived in Pearl street from 1935 -1961, i was born there .i went to St Matthias School , i was then Rita Ford,have 2 brothers ,Roy & Raymond ,also a sister ,margaret , we lived at No 67,above ,Cliff street.I left Pearl ,when they built ,the Lansdown road flats ,went round the corner to Club Garden road ,did'nt want to go on any Estate. my own son went to St Matthias ,then on to Graystones ,i would love to hear from anyone who new me, ( those were the days ). i only see Sheffield now,when i visit ,i now live in Gt Yarmouth ,Regards Rita Collins . (nee Ford )

The very top part of Pearl street is still there, Rita. (from Washington Road up to the corner onto Cemetery Road) in the 70's there was an adventure playground near Mrs Hills (2nd) shop. It's now all new-ish housing association flats.

The Washington Road flats have had a facelift, with new windows and rooves, and the three high rise, where Pearl Street finished are being refurbished, and are having smart Steel-grey cladding on the outside, and posh new double-glazed windows. The first block, (nearest Cemetery Road Baptist Church) is just about completed, and the middle block is just having the scaffolding erected in order to make a start on that one. (The aim is to have all three done by about April 2009)

I left Sheffield in 1972,what a difference ,when i went back on holiday ,mind you ,i did around all the roads ,when i left Sheffield i was in Cemetery road , my boys played football, where they had pulled the house's down Regards Rita

Hi Rita I only moved to the Lansdowne 10 yrs ago but have got involved with whole area. There are still some people here whose names I think you might recognise including Doug who used to work in botannical gardens.Could let you know more if you have any names as most of my friends are sheffield born.

Hi Rita I only moved to the Lansdowne 10 yrs ago but have got involved with whole area. There are still some people here whose names I think you might recognise including Doug who used to work in botannical gardens.Could let you know more if you have any names as most of my friends are sheffield born.

Hello here are some more names for you ,Bellemy ,Mellors ,Hemmingham ,Chapmans Rita

I lived on (66) Fentonville st.

Pearl street , Langsdown Road was part of my paper round.Early 60's

Pearl Street was great sledging when I was growing up.

Bonfires & Street parties of the 50's

I lived on (66) Fentonville st.

Pearl street , Langsdown Road was part of my paper round.Early 60's

Pearl Street was great sledging when I was growing up.

Bonfires & Street parties of the 50's

Hi Garthia Your right ,Pearl street,was great for sledging ,until some one put ashs down to stop us ,but we got through them. My son ,was growing up ,about the same time as you ,and he loved it he was also ,a paper boy,but i think he did ,Club Garden rd &Cemetery rd ,he now tell's his younger brothers about all the snow,we use to have. I dont live in Sheffield now ,but i do miss it ,sometimes wished i was back .Ilive in GT Yarmouth now,lovely to hear from ,Regards Rita

I delivered papers for the papershop (the bottom of the next street, through the gennel)

My paper rould covered Pearl st , Top end of cemetary Road, Top end of Sharrow lane above the blind school, and down nearly as far as Nether Edge coming back to Washington Road.

Sledging I vaigaly remember knocking myself out when I hit a lampost sledging on Pearl St.

My paper deliveries finished approximate 1962 (Christmas) when I left school. My (Xmas)tips were 10 fold the size of my first pay packet.

I'v e not worked in Sheffield since the 60's spending many years working over sea's now living in Thailand.

But I'm proud of my heritage.

I delivered papers for the papershop (the bottom of the next street, through the gennel)

My paper rould covered Pearl st , Top end of cemetary Road, Top end of Sharrow lane above the blind school, and down nearly as far as Nether Edge coming back to Washington Road.

Sledging I vaigaly remember knocking myself out when I hit a lampost sledging on Pearl St.

My paper deliveries finished approximate 1962 (Christmas) when I left school. My (Xmas)tips were 10 fold the size of my first pay packet.

I'v e not worked in Sheffield since the 60's spending many years working over sea's now living in Thailand.

But I'm proud of my heritage.

HIGarthai I'm proud of my heritage too,i sometimes wished i was still there ,GT Yarmouth is nice ,but its not home .Iwas up there for the new year,at my sons ,and might be going again in the summer.i came down here in 1972 ,i wished i hadnt ,but its to late now.I'd love to keep in touch with you,you must have known ,some of my neighbours ,they went to Sharrow Lane School,Regards Rita

The very top part of Pearl street is still there, Rita. (from Washington Road up to the corner onto Cemetery Road) in the 70's there was an adventure playground near Mrs Hills (2nd) shop. It's now all new-ish housing association flats.

The Washington Road flats have had a facelift, with new windows and rooves, and the three high rise, where Pearl Street finished are being refurbished, and are having smart Steel-grey cladding on the outside, and posh new double-glazed windows. The first block, (nearest Cemetery Road Baptist Church) is just about completed, and the middle block is just having the scaffolding erected in order to make a start on that one. (The aim is to have all three done by about April 2009)

I vividly remember the adventure playground PT,health and safety would throw the book at it these days.Mrs Hill or sweaty Betty as we called her, had her 1st shop at the end of Fentonville Street on Sharrow Lane.Do you know if she's still alive?she must be getting on these days if she is.

I vividly remember the adventure playground PT,health and safety would throw the book at it these days.Mrs Hill or sweaty Betty as we called her, had her 1st shop at the end of Fentonville Street on Sharrow Lane.Do you know if she's still alive?she must be getting on these days if she is.

Yes, Mrs Hill is still with us, doesn't live far away from her former shop at all, and yes, she is quite elderly, these days.

I remember her shop on the corner of Priory Road and Sharrow Lane. (she also had a shop near the end of Washington Road, near the pearl Street Playground)

the playground was a bit dodgy, wasn't it? hehe

I'll always remember the commando slide(that's what we called it).You climbed up some rickety wooden tower and then went down at an angle over what seemed a distance of around 200ft in to an old mattress.I also remember one hot summer when us kids were allowed to tie one of the people who helped out there to the roof(Mr TT me thinks)and we launched water bombs at him for what seemed ages.It's got me thinking this thread,do you remember that great little Chinese takeaway at the end of Langdon Street towards Mckenzie Street.