Self Defence, Martial Arts?

Hi all,

I'm looking to learn some self defence but I'm not clued up at all about any type available to learn. Can anyone recommend where I can learn? I only basically want to be able to adequately defend myself if the situation should ever arrive, but learn it as a martial art.

I just don't know which type is preferred for self defence.

Apologies if I'm not making sense :P

If it's purely self defence you are looking for, then give Craig a shout. He's Lotar on here, so send him a pm.

Thanks fellows.....

Craig.

If you want to learn self defence quickly I would probably say arts like kapap or JKD will provide that more than the traditional arts but effective self defence can be found in every art .... its just a matter of digging more deeply and really throwing yourself into it.

That means it's probably best to try out as many as you can before you stick to one or two. Give each time to see whether it suits your body type, your work rotas, your bank account and most importantly, your imagination.

So here's a link to help you get started .....

http://www.karatesheffield.org.uk/home.php

Hi i do shotokan karate 2x a week and it is great for self defence but........if u want to learn self defence quickly, then like shotokarate said go see Craig. Craig and Debs (his wife) came to our club for a terriffic seminar this guy knows his stuff . Id deffo give him a try.

x

p.s did Debs have the baby yet??

Hi xmiax,

Thanks for thr kind words, we really enjoyed doing the seminar at your Karate club, great to train with open minded people.

Yes we had a girl, named Cala...

Thanks

Craig.

Hello xmiax,

I agree with the other posters(postees?posterers?) for speed of learning how to "adequately defend" yourself as you put it, then something like kapap would suit you fine.However, if you want to learn practical self defence as a Martial Art then some(not all) of the traditional karate/aikido/jkd clubs may suit you.Shotokarate has it right, have alook around.But no matter which option you take,and I think the other contributers would agree, some regular commitment on your part is required, anything else is just dabbling imo.Good luck with your search.:thumbsup:

price

Hi all,

I'm looking to learn some self defence but I'm not clued up at all about any type available to learn. Can anyone recommend where I can learn? I only basically want to be able to adequately defend myself if the situation should ever arrive, but learn it as a martial art.

I just don't know which type is preferred for self defence.

Apologies if I'm not making sense :P

i would of thought boxing kickboxing or muay thai i guess? Theres loads of good clubs for all 3.

Theres a load of Martial Arts classes at the English Institute of Sport Sheffield. Its in Attercliffe opposite Ice Sheffield

Hi xmiax,

Thanks for thr kind words, we really enjoyed doing the seminar at your Karate club, great to train with open minded people.

Thanks

Craig.

Awwwww congrats craig to u and debs. Really did love the training u did with us, im sure u are welcome to come back anytime. We were all going on about it for weeks after. AMAZING!!

x

Hi xmiax,

Thanks

Craig.

Craig i remember you from wicker and from Chefkickers thai show. Will you have fighters on again? ill try and pop over and say hello this time