ABC streets and Burton St school

...I remember a tripe shop on the main road that had a dog made out of Park Drive packets in the window. ...

I'm SO pleased someone remembers those Park Drive dogs! :thumbsup:

I'm not from the ABC streets myself, we lived at my Nan's off Dykes Hall Road when I was small, but my huge extended family – the Parkers – lived in those streets in the 1940s and 50s.

There was a house three or four doors down from my Nan's that had a Park Drive dog in the window. It was made from the packets with the light turquoise print, which I think were the tipped ones (my Mum smoked Parky rough, the untipped ones, and they were in a packet with red print).

This would be in the mid-1960s, and the dog was in that window for years – but my Mum, my Dad, my Nan and my sister all deny that it was there, and even that there was any such thing as a Park Drive dog. I've asked dozens of people about it in the years since, but they all look completely blank at the mention of Park Drive dogs – so much so that I've even wondered whether I'd imagined it.

Yay, I'm not going mad!! :banana:

-Kitty

I was born at 12 cottam street in 1958, I have many memories of growing up on the ABC streets, my mum worked at Blackwells shop at the bottom of our street

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 23:56 ----------

If I've got the right streets my Grandmother Shepherd lived at 10 Cottam street up until the 1960's. I remember a tripe shop on the main road that had a dog made out of Park Drive packets in the window. Also the local barber where us youngsters stood on a box and he walked around you to cut your hair!

I remember mrs shepherd, she lived next door to my nan at number 12, I also remember the park drive dog and the tripe shop :)

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 21:41 ----------

I was born in Cottam street in 1958, some of the families who were living there were..

Going up Cottam street on the left hand side from the bottom...

Burgeon

Marshall

Shepard

Smith

Whittaker

Butler , we then moved into no 17 Badger

Froggatt

McDonald's

Mead

Sims

Parkin

Wright

Hems worth

Wilde Danny and his two sisters corrine and bernadette

Smith

Taylor's

Durham

Top house Freddie smith the boxer

Coming back down from the top on the right hand side...

Alan

Whitchelly

Shaw

Parkin

Marshall

Hicks

Plunkett

Pearson

Cade, no 34 my great grandma

Hague

Hobson

Ridley Nora

Pratt

Self , Colin and Elsie my mums auntie

Fowler

Laurence's

Swan

Barnes at no 12 my nan and grandad Rose and Cyrus

Shepherd

Parkin, Mr Parkin was the first in the street to have a car

Barlow

Mrs brakes Betty Gregory's mum

Does anyone remember any of the families

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 23:05 ----------

A friend of mine had a relative who owned a shop at the and of the ABC Streets in the late 60's --Les Blackwell -- was the sons name if I remember right.

I remember Leslie Blackwell, my mum worked at Blackwells shop in the mid to late 70s, mrs Blackwell is still alive and well and in her 90s I think. My mum remembers Mr Blackwell as a nice man who taught her to drive.

Edited by BROXX58
Spelling mistake

Hiya Jackmarr,

I also lived in Fawley Road, born there in 1944, and married and lived in the same house, we were amongst the last to move out in 1969/70 I think? Lived on the right hand side about halfway up. went to burton st school from 1949 till 1959. On the right hand side, the post office was on the corner, some of the names I remember are the Piercy's, Mrs Gleedhill, Fox's, Dennit's, Elwood's, Mason's, Needham's. Some I can still picture but names have gone...............old age........ memory goes :))

Regards

John

Anyone from Blackburn Road?

Hiya Jackmarr,

I also lived in Fawley Road, born there in 1944, and married and lived in the same house, we were amongst the last to move out in 1969/70 I think? Lived on the right hand side about halfway up. went to burton st school from 1949 till 1959. On the right hand side, the post office was on the corner, some of the names I remember are the Piercy's, Mrs Gleedhill, Fox's, Dennit's, Elwood's, Mason's, Needham's. Some I can still picture but names have gone...............old age........ memory goes :))

Regards

John

Hi John! Are you John Copley? Wish the ABC streets were still there. Know what you mean about the old memory. Hope you are keeping okay. Love Jackie x

Edited by jackmarr
wrong spelling

Hiya Jackmarr,

yes you got my name right hehehehe.

How are things with you jackie ?

Yes, may not have had any money, WELL SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE :)

but times were good, a pity we couldn't see that back then.

Remembered a couple more names in Fawley Road, Wraggs, Cunninghams, Crookes, Turners.

So what has life thrown your way?

Hope to hear from

Take care Jackie

Regards

John

I was born at 12 cottam street in 1958, I have many memories of growing up on the ABC streets, my mum worked at Blackwells shop at the bottom of our street

---------- Post added 14-01-2013 at 23:56 ----------

I remember mrs shepherd, she lived next door to my nan at number 12, I also remember the park drive dog and the tripe shop :)

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 21:41 ----------

I was born in Cottam street in 1958, some of the families who were living there were..

Going up Cottam street on the left hand side from the bottom...

Burgeon

Marshall

Shepard

Smith

Whittaker

Butler , we then moved into no 17 Badger

Froggatt

McDonald's

Mead

Sims

Parkin

Wright

Hems worth

Wilde Danny and his two sisters corrine and bernadette

Smith

Taylor's

Durham

Top house Freddie smith the boxer

Coming back down from the top on the right hand side...

Alan

Whitchelly

Shaw

Parkin

Marshall

Hicks

Plunkett

Pearson

Cade, no 34 my great grandma

Hague

Hobson

Ridley Nora

Pratt

Self , Colin and Elsie my mums auntie

Fowler

Laurence's

Swan

Barnes at no 12 my nan and grandad Rose and Cyrus

Shepherd

Parkin, Mr Parkin was the first in the street to have a car

Barlow

Mrs brakes Betty Gregory's mum

Does anyone remember any of the families

---------- Post added 18-01-2013 at 23:05 ----------

I remember Leslie Blackwell, my mum worked at Blackwells shop in the mid to late 70s, mrs Blackwell is still alive and well and in her 90s I think. My mum remembers Mr Blackwell as a nice man who taught her to drive.

I remember John Butler who lived up cottam street. I think he lived with his grandmother and went to live down south somewhere. I've got an old photo with John and myself on a school trip in Derbyshire.Remember the Blackwells too.Went fishing with Les and his dad to Hubberts Bridge once. I think Mrs. Blackwell came from Germany originally.

Does anyone remember the Wrights? Len, Shirley, Mick, Christine, Arlene, Cheryl & Gail??

Unfortunately Arlene passed away last week & its her funeral this Friday.:(

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 12:21 ----------

Hiya Jackmarr,

Regards

John

My Dad, Graham Lister was good friends with Barry Piercey :)

Sorry to hear about the passing of Arlene.Christine and Len came to my sister Pats(Caudwell as was) funeral a couple of years ago.Shirley (I think )and my sister were good friends.

Knew your Dad quite well he was in the year above me at school.

Christine & Shirley are both fine but unfortunately Len is now in a home bless him

got good long term memory but for the life of me just cant remember you there must be a reason I've got you blanked out:suspect::suspect::suspect:

I am 74 how old are you?

I am 74 how old are you?

79 feb 4th 3 boys at 511 penistone Peter died few yrs back 3 yrs older & Lester lost in the wilds of B.C 18 months younger:):)