Dogs in Pubs. Yes or no? Opinions please

There should be one ( big ) dog in every pub.

Belonging to the pub owner/landlord and brought out if a customer starts kicking off.

Otherwise no dogs and no kids.

why ,they let kids in at night

Mine dosnt.

I went in a pub at Nether Edge about twenty years ago and there were two tiny dogs running round the pub, barking, running around and tripping up the bar staff on their way round the pub and generally making a nuisance of themselves. On complaining to the landlady about the dogs behaviour and how someone was going to get hurt, i was told "politely" to put up or shut up because they were her dogs.

I went in a pub at Nether Edge about twenty years ago and there were two tiny dogs running round the pub, barking, running around and tripping up the bar staff on their way round the pub and generally making a nuisance of themselves. On complaining to the landlady about the dogs behaviour and how someone was going to get hurt, i was told "politely" to put up or shut up because they were her dogs.

Cant complain with that then.

It was her staff i felt sorry for, carrying trays of drinks around with dogs snapping at their ankles. She should have trained them, everyone else has a responsibility to keep their dogs under control. I'm not a dog hater by the way.

( i havent read any of the post so sorry if someone has already said this) I think its ok to have a dog outside a pub to a certain degree, like stopping off for a drink on the way home or whatever, but i have noticed that alot of dog attacks on children seem to occur when dogs have been sat under a pub bench all afternoon in the blazing hot sun, a bowl of water isnt always all the dog needs and i think that they get frustrated and fed up sat there all day that sometimes it leads them to then attack one or more of the endless stream of kids that crowd round them, putting their faces right in the dogs face, kissing, stroking, in some cases, kicking... Leave the dog at home unless its a quick drink id say..

Re-: Dogs in pubs

Try going into the Ball in Hillsborough on a Thursday night.

The place is full of them

I shamelessly admit that I've been in that pub on a Friday night............

I still remember the sight very well, I'm 30 years old and I was the oldest one in the pub.

I've got no problem having dogs in pubs - gives me an excuse to go and pat them as I don't have a dog of my own. Can honestly say I've never seen a badly behaved dog in a pub! Certainly never seen a child attacked by a dog - generally the dog'll indicate when it's fed up and then it's up to the owner to fend off any unruly kids. Or at least that's what I found with my own dog owning experiences.

Provided a dog's not slobbering over the table top and parents ensure any hand licked fingers are washed prior to a child eating then where is the health issue?

I can't see a problem with dogs in pubs either. Most pubs have dogs and do you honestly think that when them doors are locked at the end of the night the dogs are still not allowed in the pub?

I am sitting here picturing a 'dog in a pub' scenario that anyone who has ever been in a rural pub prior to the present nanny state era will be aware of.

You walk in on a chilly winter evening. There is silence, no music, no mechanical chink of a gaming machine or pool table. Just, occasionally, the cough or grunt of a local, or the hiss of the pump.

There in the corner by the fire sits old Jed and his collie Chap. Chap's eyes raise up to meet yours. He approves of you ... and because of this, so does old Jed.

You buy your 'affordable' pint and take a seat where you can see Chap. Why? Because he reminds you of a dog you once had when you were very young. Chap doesn't move .... much. There is a foul smell. His ears twitch. Jed says, "Bloody hell Lad!!" just to let us all know it wasn't him.

A member of staff empties an ashtray into a bucket, wipes it with a cloth, then hands it to Jed who pours some beer into it and places it on the floor for Chap. "Ere tha art." Chap laps it up ... everyone says, "Aaahhhh!!" Chap farts again.

In walks old widow Muggins with her Jack Russell Tommy. Tommy sees Chap, Chap sees Tommy. Chap shoves his nose up Tommy's back end. Widow Muggins blushes and drags Tommy away as Jed pats Chap on the rump and says, "Behave thissen!"

Chap decides to polish his tackle for the next ten minutes as Widow Muggins, sitting at the opposite end of the room with Tommy in her lap, tries not to notice. The continual , "Flup Flup Flup" of Chap's grooming is the only sound to be heard.

Old Jed has to spend a penny. "Stay theer lad", he commands as he disappears into the loo. There is another foul smell. Chap gets up, head hung low and slides gracefully under a table many feet away. Everyone in the bar looks at Tommy, in Widow Muggins' lap with disgust.

A much better evening than watching a drunken parent trying to explain to their boisterous offspring why they can't have another cola. :)

Ah, you've been out to the Three Stags Heads too then?

heh. that's so far from the truth :)

i love dogs, and my issue is mostly with inconsiderate owners.

unfortunately, in the various capacities of pub manager, pub staff and customer, i have come across numerous health and safety violations that would certainly worry myself as a customer.

i have many a time chastised my staff for the transgressions that i have aforementioned (i.e. handling food, plates or glasses after contact with animals etc), and i am a firm believer of the rule of "wash your hands every time before handling anything else".

i still feel strongly that it's really difficult for staff to maintain health and safety regs in a food-service environment if there are pets around, and as i previously indicated, i have serious reservations about eating in establishments that allow said animals in them.

and as i also mentioned previously, i have come across lots of dogs that are very well-behaved, specifically guide/service-dogs, and i wish that every dog owner wishing to take a dog into licenced premises would apply such diligence and care when it comes to their own pets.

i have been attacked before by the PC brigade for asking certain owners to ensure their dogs are on a leash after they have started becoming boisterous. some of their reactions would certainly make you believe their dogs are their child-substitutes.

before folks jump to the hasty conclusion that i am seeking to stir trouble just for the fun of it, i assure you that surely i am the most diplomatic of folks you will ever meet. it's difficult in Sheffield to eschew a "walk away from conflict" attitude but i would rather be called a pussy etc, than shoot someone in the head.

my issue is only with some dog owners, and the presence of said dogs in food-service areas, purely from a health and safety angle.

So, assuming that Molly walks into the pub with us, on a lead (but to heel) and lies under our table whilst we're in there without hassling anyone and without any members of staff having physical contact with her, exactly what problem is there with her being there (whether food is being served or not)?

She carries no more mud or bacteria than our shoes do, yet we are allowed to wear our own shoes and outdoor clothing into the pub.

definatly NO kids

NO big bears

NO people with wigs

NO shandy drinkers

and DEFINATLY NO alcopop drinkers!!!!!

You = FAIL.

Kick all those people out and the Pub would have zero customers.

What's wrong with kids? Or is it so long since you were one you've forgotten what it was like?