Avery Scales history & models

Hi just picked this thread up - would anybody have any info on the wsg classic scales? I have acquired a set and after opening them the back plate is stamped Berkel - just after a bit if info if anyone can help

Thanks

Edited by Beeder

require details of Avery platform scales and Avery shop counter scales produced by company.,year, models, history. Can anyone help?

Hi Sir Ben.

I've just joined the forum,I was so glad to see your posts,I nearly fell off the chair,I was a fitter and turner for 30 years,and I've just acquired,an old chemist shop scale 3809cfy serial no s-601535,I've already read some of the information you have posted on this model,the needle on the dial does not work properly,it looks to me if it needs some sought of spring load to make the needle to operate once the weight depress's the plunger on the oil filled cylinder,also the oil cap screw on the plunger shaft that screw's into the top of the cylinder was out,a bit confusing on how this is supposed to work,I would appreciate any help you may be able to give me,thank you very much.

Cheers Kevin

Edited by Kevsmith
spelling

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie here & hope that I'm ok tagging on to this post.:confused:

What an excellent thread.

I have an old set of Avery scales that I have never used, they just sit in the corner of my kitchen looking pretty, but after reading this thread I will try changing the oil & start using them.

They are rather large & wonder what sort of shop may have used them? the serial number is: 1201 CEA/S5400.

My lack of knowledge means that I don't even know how to read them properly, the dial facing the customer reads at slightly over 1lb at rest whilst the dial which faces the shop keeper with the pricing chart on it reads 5lb 9.5oz? :help:

Finally does anyone know if there is anywhere in the UK restoring Avery scales as I would love to get them done, certainly since the rubber seals need replacing, would these still be available?

Regards to all!

Gav

Oh dear, I realise I am posting on a thread about Avery scales, but I have a problem with my bakelite ASCO scales. In turning them upside down to access the oil bath, I seem to have disconnected the mechanism, so that the pointer no longer shows the weight, which it was doing accurately beforehand. It is Style Number 1706, Serial Number 9766 and is a 2lb bakelite scale. How do I reconnect it? Any ideas?

Hello all,

I am after help with an Avery 20oz set of sweet shop style scales. The scales themselves are in good condition but clearly the damper mechanism needs the oil topping up. Which type of oil do I use? The serial number reads No 1105 CCE/7365 British Regd 855,857. At the right side is an access hole with a small wheel inside. I believe this is to adjust the damper rate? Does anyone know where to get spares?

Chris

what an interesting thread..hi all, this one maybe hard to trace .. its a avery model 3812 CJE standing scales ..2 pence slot .. i can not for the life of me find any info on this item online..would love to know if theres any real value to them as they have been burried in my late granpas garage for ever..

I really hope some people are still reading this thread, because otherwise I don't know where to look. I've looked high and low for info on how to sort of a lovely set of 1950's Avery scales (No 1105 CCE), with no luck so far. From this thread I've al least learned how to replace the damping oil, so thank you!

OK, here is a link to a folder with some photos of the scales in it: [tried to insert link but I need a few more posts first!]

As I've said, I've cleaned an refilled the damping oil, so that's great.

My primary problem is that I can't zero the scales - the minimum they go to is 40g. The small wheel through the opening on the RHS is already set to minimum. The small nut underneath at the back (labelled A in the file "underside labels.jpg") is already wound out as far as makes any difference. And I don't want to start taking it apart unless I have to.

So is there any way to further adjust the minimum?

I can manually lift the tray and the needle will move to zero, so maybe the spring is too weak?

Suggestions appreciated.

Then there's the issue of calibration, but one step at a time. Let's see if anyone's still listening!

Thanks if you are.

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 06:52 ----------

Oh, and my model number is No 1105 CCE.

Edited by simonz

My mum , Joyce , worked in the showroom on Snigg Hill as receptionist for years . She gave me the green model of an Avery delivery van , which I still have .Must be at least 60 yrs old .Fascinating stuff that appears on here and what a small world .

Chitts, your mum might have known my Uncle Keith, he worked for Averys at Snig Hill until his untimely death in 1974. He drove one of the green vans checking scales in shops and firms. Then he bought a new Reliant 3-wheeler car as he loved them and used that for work.

I really hope some people are still reading this thread, because otherwise I don't know where to look. I've looked high and low for info on how to sort of a lovely set of 1950's Avery scales (No 1105 CCE), with no luck so far. From this thread I've al least learned how to replace the damping oil, so thank you!

OK, here is a link to a folder with some photos of the scales in it: [tried to insert link but I need a few more posts first!]

As I've said, I've cleaned an refilled the damping oil, so that's great.

My primary problem is that I can't zero the scales - the minimum they go to is 40g. The small wheel through the opening on the RHS is already set to minimum. The small nut underneath at the back (labelled A in the file "underside labels.jpg") is already wound out as far as makes any difference. And I don't want to start taking it apart unless I have to.

So is there any way to further adjust the minimum?

I can manually lift the tray and the needle will move to zero, so maybe the spring is too weak?

Suggestions appreciated.

Then there's the issue of calibration, but one step at a time. Let's see if anyone's still listening!

Thanks if you are.

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 06:52 ----------

Oh, and my model number is No 1105 CCE.

Hi there

It's been ages since I have been able to look in to this forum, but I wonder if I can be able to shed some light on your problems.

Let me put a few things straight:

The wheel through the opening only serves to control the speed of the damper. It adjusts the flow of oil through a hole in the piston that goes up and down inside the dashpot (that's what they call the screw-out cylinder that contains the damping oil.) PS 3-in-1 oil is great for dashpots.

The fact that the scale will read less than zero if you lift the tray (plate) is good news. It would also be good news if the indicator goes to the far end of the travel when you press down on the plate. If this is the case, balancing is very simple.

Make sure that the spirit level is centralised, then remove the plate and you will see two odd looking screws (like a normal cross headed screw with the middle bit not slotted all the way across.) We used to make Avery screwdrivers by filing the middle out of a wide flat-bladed screwdrivers, but at a push you could use a side cutter pliers to turn the screws. Lift the plate holder and screws off and you will get access to a chamber that usually holds, amongst other things, lead weights although I have seen bolts, paper clips and a right assortment of ballast which has been put in to adjust the needle to zero.

The best way is to take out enough weight to enable the pointer to go to less than zero, then loosely reassemble the screws, holder and plate. Then add ballast weight gradually until the pointer reads dead on zero. Then put all the bits and bobs that you have added to the plate into the weight chamber, screw it back together, and Robert is your mother's brother, as they say.

Just as an aside, you talk about the spring, as if it is the way to calibrate the scales accurately. The 1105 CCE is not spring operated. It uses a lever system and an eccentric cam arrangement to calibrate, and this very rarely needs much adjustment. There is a spring there, but this is not for accuracy, but only to provide tension to the pointer.

I hope that this rather long winded reply might be of some help.

Sir_Ben (Keith)

Have just acquired a set of avery coin scales which weigh up to 3lbs

Serial # 3627

Type 84

In very good condition but the red arrow pointer is positioned just below zero

How do I reset it?

Really hoping someone can help. I've just bought an avery 3lbs shop weighing scales green trim and unfortunately the pointer is stuck on 3lbs. We've taken the front off and it looks as if the spring isn't connected to anything??? What's wrong with it? And can it be mended. Thanks