Avery Scales history & models

hi Keith....I remember the 'shop' next door to Averys which had supermarket baskets in the window! Did you also know someone at Averys called Frank because he was a friend of my uncles and they used to go fishing sometimes - he also used to come to the house to see him, my uncle lived at Wharncliffe Side so I don't know if Frank lived near there....x

Hi Serelle, The shop next door was called Parnells, and they were in fact an Avery group company. As for the name Frank, There were two that I remember. One was Frank Stansfield who lived on Paulet Rd, on the manor. He would have been quite a bit younger than your uncle. The other one, who I think would have been closer in age was Frank Loveday. He lived at Charnock (near Gleadless town end). Keith.

hi Keith, yes you are probably right about the 2 Franks - I think the friend of my uncles was around the same age as him, so it was probably the 2nd one you mention, and I think he came to the funeral, it just seems so long ago when it all happened and I think Uncle Keith was in his mid 40s, which seemed really old to me then, as I was about 24 !!

Did you stay at Averys till you retired or have you had lots of jobs since then? kind regards, frieda x (Serelle)

Hi Serelle, yes it would be Frank Loveday, as Frank Stansfield was only in his late 20s at that time. No I didnt stay with Avery,s I was made redundant in 1981. Since then I have had numerous jobs, but am now retired due to health issues. Regards Keith.

hi Keith, yes you are probably right about the 2 Franks - I think the friend of my uncles was around the same age as him, so it was probably the 2nd one you mention, and I think he came to the funeral, it just seems so long ago when it all happened and I think Uncle Keith was in his mid 40s, which seemed really old to me then, as I was about 24 !!

Did you stay at Averys till you retired or have you had lots of jobs since then? kind regards, frieda x (Serelle)

Hi Serelle I worked with Keith for many years. He was as Keith said very quite and reserved. His best friend was Frank Loveday they used to go on holiday together in the early years. He was very good at his job and very conciensous but very set in his ways. He used to come to work a hour early so he could park his car in the same place. He did not socialize with the rest of the mechanics but once you got to know him he was the first there if you needed help and he would willingly do it If we were working on a job together I would either drive myself to the job if I had got a car at the time or go on the bus because he use to frighten me to death in that 3 wheeler

Hi Brian, yes I remember travelling with Keith in his "supervan" on a number of occasions.I always thought of him as being a nice guy. Looking back now, those times were not bad were they, we had a few laughs along the way. Regards to you and yours Keith.

Did Keith really frighten you to death in his Reliant, bashforth2 ?? I can't imagine that, knowing how quiet and unassuming he was!! I am SO glad you all remember working with him, and you remember things about him too, as apart from his workmates, there are not many of his relatives left who would remember him....thank you again :) xxx

Did Keith really frighten you to death in his Reliant, bashforth2 ?? I can't imagine that, knowing how quiet and unassuming he was!! I am SO glad you all remember working with him, and you remember things about him too, as apart from his workmates, there are not many of his relatives left who would remember him....thank you again :) xxx

Hi Serelle Have you ever been in a three wheeler they are not very stable to start with and Keith did not do a lot of driving apart for driving to work and just driving to local jobs. So although he did this he didn't do a lot of driving.If we had one of the works vans he would only drive it if it was totally necessary. There are some drivers you don't feel safe with and Keith was one of them. The Avery building as it was known was on Bridge St at the corner of Snig Hill. After Averys left Whitbread Brewery took it over as a computer department then the brewery shut down and last time I passed ( because they have shut the Ladys Bridge end to normal traffic) it belonged to Howells Solicitors

Hi Sir Ben & all other members.

I have had to post this way as i cant find a way of starting a new post!! (newbie to the site!)

Anyway!! I have just bought an old set of Avery Scales No 1108 cjc ( and ive got a smile as big as the dial on the scales!!) and in my attempt (not knowing what i am doing at all) at zeroing them, i tried filling the oil bottle up with engine oil!!! now its all gone pete tong!! can anyone tell me what oil I'm supposed to use,and how much of it should be put in!!? HELP!!! I LOVE THESE THINGS.............

Hi kingbrian it used to be Shell Tellus 23 but I dont think they make that anymore You can use 3 in 1 oil fill it up to about level where the thread starts the swing of the indicator can then be adjusted by the knurled nut on the plunger. To zero the machine make sure its level tthen add or remove lead from the chamber under the the frame that holds the pan that you put the stuff you want to weigh in.

bashforth2

WOW!!!

What a great surprise when i opened my mail, to find your message!!

Thanks so much for your help, i have found the big screw on the side of the

"clock Tower" which seems to adjust the needle slightly both + & - the 0

point, but cant seem to find the chamber containing lead!

I will wait until i put the 3 in 1 in and see what happens then!!

However whilst pulling, twisting and twiddling with things i know nothing

about (inc filling it up with 20-50w diesel oil) i have seemed to have

stopped it going all the way round to 7lb! and now stopping at 6 1/2lb! is

this due to the wrong oil? or possibly me turning a screw (that has a

locking nut and is about 3 inches long)underneath the base unit between the

2 back feet?

Again! Thank you so so much for your help,

It may be a big heavy ugly piece of scrap iron, but I'm made up with it!

Kingbrian

Hi kingbrian Its a long time since I did one but there is an adjustable stop underneath Try undoing it a few turns If nothing happens it could be that with having no oil in it the indicator has jumped a tooth on the pinnion

bashforth2