Avery Scales history & models

On 18/04/2005 at 07:59, BarryHirst said:

require details of Avery platform scales and Avery shop counter scales produced by company.,year, models, history. Can anyone help?

I was service manager of Avery in Jersey, originally from Sheffield.

I have just purchased Avery scales model no. 1201, seem to be between 1971 and 1984 as dial has 1/2 p on the price list. 

I know nothing about how it works, have found the oil pot, but there appears to be something disconnected or broken as the dial doesn't move at all. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks 

On 12/02/2023 at 16:19, scaleman said:

I was service manager of Avery in Jersey, originally from Sheffield.

I was an apprentice at Avery on Bridge street in 1964.

I did not stay long.

Hi. Just purchased a vintage Avery industrial scale, model 3205. Can anyone please advice on how to dismantle it? I understand it dismantles into 4 pieces. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.s-l1600.jpg

Edited by nigel_IM
To correct psot

Hello, I wonder if someone could give me some help/advice regarding the above model Avery just purhased from eBay.  The scale was advertised and show in excellent condition but when arrived it was in pretty bad shape.  The parcel arrived with the scale laid on its side with an obvious oil spill in the bottom of the parcel and broken glass.  The indicater is way off (the photograph on  the sale page shows the setting at a perfect '0' position, so I am assuming the scale wass manhandled by the courier even though the parcel was marked as fragile and labelled as to the correct way up.  I removed the front cover to take a look for some sort of balance setting mechanism but was overwhelmed by the complexity of the innards.  I would love to get the scale back in shape for use but have no clue where to begin.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.