Avery Scales history & models

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with information on an old set of Avery No 1 commercial bench scales I have. It has No 1215 BFH and then further down it has NSC No 6/4A/3. Some of the measurements have been changed and written by hand on one side (QC Unit). The other side, under the arrow its says TO WEIGH 2000g - CHART MARKED BY 5g DIVISIONS - NOT FOR RETAIL COUNTER USE. The numbers 2000g and 5g have been hand written. It also has a set of hexagonal (I think) weights. They are cream scales with 2 flat stainless steel removable trays either side, one bigger than the other. The centre piece with the dial rotates 90 degrees. Would anyone know how old these are and why the Hand writing on them.

Thank you

Jobaby

Hi Just Joined. I was an Avery Mechanic , time served in Swansea in the early 80's. Fire away with any questions...

Glad to see 1105's getting praised on here. They were a perfect scale. Worked perfectly and looked both sexy and classic.

Hi Everyone,

I have recently purchased an old Avery stansd on medical/doctors scales with wooden height measure on it, but the only things that were missing was the weights and hook. Is it possible to still get these weights as I have been looking all over the internet without any luck.

I thank you in advance for any help - Cheers - Morgan

Edited by morganhb
spelling error

Hi There Sir Ben and Poptypizza

I saw your email on a Sheffield forum and I was wondering if you could help. I emailed Avery already but no reply. I see you used to service these machines.

I have recently saved a 43 year old Berkel double sided weigh scale from the skip at work… This will hopefully take pride of place in my kitchen.

It’s a double facetted Mod PIC (Picollo) Fab No 44196 Manufactured in 1973….. 15kgs in 5g division. MIC CERT 403

a beautiful machine sadly not digital enough for our modern times!

All very good but there’s one problem.

Before I moved it it was weighing fine. I pulled and turned the red locking handle and moved it. And each time I moved it again I did the same. It worked each time.

Unfortunately after the last time I moved it it seems to have reset it’s zero to minus 400g (i.e. pointing at the 600g mark before ZERO)

It takes 2.5 kgs of weigh to bring it back to zero and then it starts weighing normally again? It’s as if the zero point moved or it jumped a few teeth on the indicator mechanism. I can’t see anything else obviously wrong but I have no manual or idea where to start. I am reluctant to start looking behind the dials in case the fix is something below the pan.

So could you point me in the right direction or have you any suggestions. I’m an instrument engineer.... I’ve already got the surround frame off the base and had a look inside but I can’t see what might have happened. Note the zero knob at the front works but it will only affect the reading by 100g or so approx so I don’t have enough travel on that to zero out the error. There are two keys (of sorts ) attached to the inside plate. Look like something for calibration or setting distances.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by jamieosull

I'm a ex-Avery service engineer - did my apprenticeship in West Wales from '63-69, and then transferred to an industrial branch in the midlands, so I've worked on most of the pre-electronic scales right from chemist's beam balances through to 40 ton weighbridges.

What sort of info are you looking for?

hi sir Ben just got some avery scales model number A686 made in 1966 that are not working would you be able to help, they are about 3ft high and with a light blue enammel finish. regards chris

We found a set of scales at work and have been told they are Birmingham Avery Heavy Industrial Vintage Grocer Kitchen Coffee Scales. Can anyone give me any background on them, especially a date of manufacture tia.

hi could someone email me at tilingsolutionsnw@gmail.com please. I am in France and have come across some large avery scales in a chest that are for sale. i have been looking for some for a while but these are very heavy and large scales. i can send pics. with being a newbie i can not post pics etc thanks

I cant believe I've only just found this thread. I started work with Henry Pooley, part of the W&T Avery group, in 1960 and left in 1974. I remember Keith Eyre and the others mentioned. Pooleys was based on Eyre Street at the time and later moved to Lambert Street at West Bar. They were happy times.

so any one with any knowledge of large avery scales that come in a crate????

---------- Post added 01-06-2018 at 16:42 ----------

20180531_164503%201_zpsgldrfuom.jpg

Hi Just Joined. I was an Avery Mechanic , time served in Swansea in the early 80's. Fire away with any questions...

Glad to see 1105's getting praised on here. They were a perfect scale. Worked perfectly and looked both sexy and classic.

I am renovating a set of W&T Avery coin-freed 20Stone upright scales. The type No is 3802 CFP machine number 52527. Any information, such as date/place of manufacture would be appreciated. They use old pennies and those inside the scales are dated from 1902 to 1960's. I have been able to get the scales weighing properly, but the coin-freed mechanism has been removed to I need to replicate the original so that they only weigh when penny is inserted, at the moment they weigh without coins inserted.

I'm a ex-Avery service engineer - did my apprenticeship in West Wales from '63-69, and then transferred to an industrial branch in the midlands, so I've worked on most of the pre-electronic scales right from chemist's beam balances through to 40 ton weighbridges.

Hallo and good day to you

I am one of the strange ones that never can walk past things on the way to the dump.

Did safe one Avery model 3809 CFY scale and after reading lots of info, mostly for the history because I can not find any service info, drawings, or any hands on info to know if I am doing things as they should be.

Naturally all the interior and exterior was covered with oil and the coin box locked and no key.

One owner from new and never been outside until the same day I did see it.

Sooooo not so bad I think.

Any hope You can help me with manual and or adjustment info.

The scale was sold in Belgium by Avery dealer that is long out of business and no help there, coin system set to old Belgian 1f coin and that was not working when I got it.

There is not a single mark or blemish anywhere on the scale, so well worth saving I think.

Best reg and thanks

Atli Stefansson

Belgium

atlir@me.com

On 12/01/2006 at 23:03, Sir_Ben said:

Hi 

I am so pleased to of found this thread

I just picked up an Avery 1105 at a yard sale for £20 and it seemd to be 20g short when i weight things

does anyone know how to re calibrate and the small swrew in the side doesnt seem to do any thing?

could you help me find a way forward, is there a manual? do you know what i should do 

thanks 

thanks so much