Avery Scales history & models

Gents,

I have just joined your ranks having collected an Avery 3809CFY scale with serial number S-681057. The weight of the unit was unbelievable and two of had to get this in and out of a Toyota Prado, without damaging any of the vehicle, the scale or ourselves. It was laid over and I have therefore lost the damping oil in transport.

The search now begins for a manual, drawing or whatever is available.

Kind regards, Moses ( my Hash House Harriers name and I am assured that I am a prickly individual)

My uncle Keith worked at the Avery place at the bottom of Snig Hill in the 60s and early 70s. He was based there and he went round firms in Sheffield checking their scales. Sadly he is no longer alive so I can't ask him about it....

It is always a great pity when a wealth of knowledge is lost. If your Uncle Keith left any manuals somwhere and these are potentially scanable, I would put my hand up to ask for the info on the 3809CFY. Thanks for responding. Regards.

I hope somebody who knows something about the Avery 3809CFY scale is following my floundering on the subject. I have th eback and base open. The vertical post section of the scale appears to be complete and functional. But on the base, there is a spring about 5" long that has detached from somehwere. Can anyone tell me where it goes please?

Last post on the subject. I have the scale back together and working. Better still, I weighed myself and then went to an electronic scale, that is known to be accurate and guess what! Even the .7kg that showed on the electronic could be seen on the 3809CFY. 53 years old and spot on.

i remember their shop or factory on bridge street were the police charge office now is

I'm a ex-Avery service engineer - did my apprenticeship in West Wales from '63-69, and then transferred to an industrial branch in the midlands, so I've worked on most of the pre-electronic scales right from chemist's beam balances through to 40 ton weighbridges.

What sort of info are you looking for?

Hello Sir Ben. I have some scales which I hope you can identify.

It's a table top model of 24" high and 18" long on a wooden base with 4 stainless steel adjustable feet and a round spirit level. There is a brass weighing level which on the swivel end in inscribed "W T Avery Birmingham England capacity 5lb ratio 10-1". Beneath this is a small aluminium cup inscribed ratio 10-1. The other end of this lever is inscribed "ratio 100-1" and it points to a calibration scale inscribed "over & "under". The aluminium cup here is missing. This is all supported on a solid steel frame and there is a "balance adjuster" in the middle. Can you tell me what these scales were used for & if they're worth keeping? thankyou. allanemartin

Hi Serelle, Dont come on here very often at the moment but you mention your uncle Keith. Well I worked there at that time, and just wondered if he was Keith Eyre. If so then I worked with him on numerous occasions.

hi...yes his name was Keith Eyre, do you remember much about him because he was quite a reserved man, I'm so glad you remember him x

Hi Serelle, Yes as I said, I worked with your uncle Keith on numerous occasions, and we always got on well. He was, as you say a quiet and reserved man who was very good at his job. As I recall, he used to drive a Reliant Supervan, and I have travelled with him in this vehicle to various job locations throughout Sheffield. All the guys at Avery's were shocked to hear of his early death, and there must be others out there somewhere who have memories of working with him. With regards.

hi.....thank you for sharing your memories of him, he did have a Reliant van as you say - I don't know why, he must have really liked them, because before that he drove an Averys van. He was just a nice guy and it was terrible for him to die like that x

Hi Serelle and amen to that. As I said we were all shocked and saddened by his death. I forgot to mention that possibly one reason why we got on was that my name is also Keith. Regards.