Avery Scales history & models

require details of Avery platform scales and Avery shop counter scales produced by company.,year, models, history. Can anyone help?

I'm a ex-Avery service engineer - did my apprenticeship in West Wales from '63-69, and then transferred to an industrial branch in the midlands, so I've worked on most of the pre-electronic scales right from chemist's beam balances through to 40 ton weighbridges.

What sort of info are you looking for?

Hi Sir Ben,

I hope that you are still around. I am looking for a pre-electronic human weighing scales. The type that used to be in train stations up and down the country. Would you be able to advise me how to get hold of some?

Sir Ben. I have recently purchased a set of Avery scales, the type which the other gentleman says he wishes to purchase. I know nothing about them, except they are indeed the sort you used to get at the seaside on piers etc. and had to put a penny in the top to get them to work. They are green on the main body, black base with a white surround on the top dial. All they say on a little plate on the back is 'Made in England by Avery Birmingham 3809cfy s-620099'. I would be extremely grateful for information regarding these, especially how I can reconnect the penny mechanism to operate the scales, model number and anywhere I can get hold of technical or reference literature regarding these. I have looked on the net and can find nothing! The needle appears to drag on the face of the dial, causing them to stick... how do I get at it to bend it out a bit?!! If you don't live too far from Nottingham I would even contemplate paying you to come down and have a look at them for me if you were able and willing to. If not, your thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks. Gary

Sir Ben. I have recently purchased a set of Avery scales, the type which the other gentleman says he wishes to purchase. I know nothing about them, except they are indeed the sort you used to get at the seaside on piers etc. and had to put a penny in the top to get them to work. They are green on the main body, black base with a white surround on the top dial. All they say on a little plate on the back is 'Made in England by Avery Birmingham 3809cfy s-620099'. I would be extremely grateful for information regarding these, especially how I can reconnect the penny mechanism to operate the scales, model number and anywhere I can get hold of technical or reference literature regarding these. I have looked on the net and can find nothing! The needle appears to drag on the face of the dial, causing them to stick... how do I get at it to bend it out a bit?!! If you don't live too far from Nottingham I would even contemplate paying you to come down and have a look at them for me if you were able and willing to. If not, your thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks. Gary

The 3809CFY Coin Freed Chemist scale you purchased was made in 1962

The first two numbers of the serial number denote the year of manufacture and the S denotes it was made in the Avery's Shefield factory.

It was the last of the mechanical coin freed scales made by Avery.

Hey wow, thank you very much! I really wanted one of those big red clock face platform scales that you used to find in public places that you had to pay to use. You don't know the model of them do you?! Thanks a lot. Gary.

Can anyone help please ... I have one of those scales described - "They are green on the main body, black base with a white surround on the top dial." I am not sure how old it is but probably at least 50 years. I am not based anywhere near Sheffield and the scales is in Ireland but wondered if anyone knew how much I could expect for one (I have been approached by someone who would like to purchase and know it is worth a bit but not sure how much) - can anyone help? Thanks

Is anyone checking out this topic?

I have one of these scales ... same as the last post.

Wonder if anyone has sold one of these and how much it's worth.

Please help have just aquired W&T Avery scales the only numbers I can find on it are as follows 1207GFD/3637, The scales have small weighing bowls on each side and a large scoop and weigh bowl in the middle, would love to know history and value. many thanks:)

I have only just picked up this thread as I have been searching for information on the type of damper oil I should use in my Avery Scales and can find nothing else on the web.

I have an old Avery scale that reads up to 3 lb and was probably used in a grocer's shop. I use these all the time for cooking and have had them for about 10 years. Every now and then the damper oil needs replacing and I have just used ordinary vegetable oil, but it seems to need replacing quite often.

Does anyone know what sort of oil I should use?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Mr Paul

Hi, can anyone remember the Avery premises at the bottom of Snig Hill in town? Can anyone help with internet links or info to learn more about that place?

My Grandad, Thomas Thorpe worked there for some time and I'd love to know more about his job and the shop or workshop whatever it was.

I remember seeing the small window where scales were on show as a kid but didn't know my Grandad had actually worked there.

Thanks

Can anyone help please. I have an avery scales, not sure now old they are but they have the old penny slot at the top. They go up to 20 stone and look like the ones that would have stood outside of a chemist. I can't find anything on the internet about them the history would be fab and if they are worth anything. They are six foot tall if that helps and a big round dial with gold writing and a blue background.

Thanks if anyone can help.