Does anyone know anything about Stauber & Sons Confectioners?

In 1927 E C Stauber had a confectionery shop at 84 High Street; by 1952 they are listed in the telephone directory as Stauber & Sons 76 Pinstone Street. Does anyone remember them or know how long they continued in business?

Galena

I seem to remember the business from long ago. According to the Kelly's directory they had gone from Pinstone Street by 1972, and probably a decade or so earlier. The 1925 directory shows "Ernest G. Stauber, chocolate manufacturer" with three shops, at 76 Pinstone Street and 34 & 84 High Street. He lived at 16 Silver Birch Avenue, Fulwood.

Thanks Hillsbro'

My mother worked for him in the 1920s and I am trying to find out a bit more about him but not being in Sheffield I am having to rely on the Historical Directories website. I understand that he was Swiss but he does not appear in 1901 census nor in the directories for 1905 and 1911 which would imply he came here after 1911. A Henry N Stauber was born in Sheffield in 1922 but to date I cannot find any other information.

Galena

Hello Galena

I have just discovered your post here as a result of researching my Swiss grandfather's past.

He was a foreman/manager at E Staubers in Sheffield around 1918/1919 following the end of the first world war. He had previously been employed at The Majestic Hotel in Harrogate as a patissier.

I am not sure how long he worked there, but I do have a couple of photos that might be of interest to you.

Can I ask if you are Swiss Galena?

May or not be of use,

Marriage

Helm    Mabel    —    —    1920     St. Giles, London, England
Stauber     Ernst G     Helm     St.Giles     1b    1332

Deaths Mar 1966   (>99%)
STAUBER     MABEL     73     SCARBORO     1B    1060

There is a Mabel Helm born Sheffield 1893

William Hy Helm -Head   Male39   Dalston, London

Mary Helm  Female  38 -Leeds, Yorkshire

Eva M Helm 11 Daughter Female  -Sheffield, Yorkshire

Mabel Helm 8  Daughter  Female  -Sheffield, Yorkshire

Family Search.

Edited by retep

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 10 Oct 1914.

Mr E. G. Stauber who carries on business at 76 Pinstone Street, Sheffield, has just returned from Switzerland where he has

been serving for six months in the army of his native land.   The strictest neutrality is being observed in Switzerland.

Sheffield Independent, 31 July 1915.

Sheffield Divorces.

Mr Ernst Gustav Stauber, of Swiss nationality, chocolate manufacturer, of Sheffield, asked for a decree against his wife, on the

ground of her adultery with Mr Jno. Furness, also interested in the chocolate trade.  The suit was undefended.

The parties, counsel stated, were married at Basle, Switzerland in 1911, and they subsequently lived at Nether Road, Sheffield.

The petitioner came to England in 1907, and commenced as a chocolate manufacturer in Sheffield.  In 1913 they made the

acquaintance of the co-respondent, who at the early part of this year stayed at Mr and Mrs Stauber's house.

In April this year, the parties were in London and the respondent said she would like to go with a friend to the seaside.

Inquiries were made and it was discovered that the respondent and co-respondent had stayed together as man and wife

at the Wilton Hotel, London.  The petitioner, who stated that he resided at 21 Queens Road, Sheffield, gave evidence.

His Lordship granted a decree nisi with costs.    (Abridged).

Possible remarriage kissed and made up?

Name:Mary Helm

Event Type:Probate

Event Date:19 Feb 1925

Event Place:Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom

Event Place (Original):Sheffield, United Kingdom

Beneficiary's Name:Eva Marjorie Helm

Second Beneficiary's Name:Mabel Stauber

Additional Name:William Henry Helm

Name:William Henry Helm

Event Type:Probate

Event Date:11 Jul 1946

Event Place:Wakefield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom

Event Place (Original):Wakefield, Sheffield, United Kingdom

Beneficiary's Name:Eva Marjorie Helm

Second Beneficiary's Name:Mabel Stauber

Additional Name:Ernst Gustav Stauber

On 08/01/2009 at 17:39, galena said:

Thanks Hillsbro'

My mother worked for him in the 1920s and I am trying to find out a bit more about him but not being in Sheffield I am having to rely on the Historical Directories website. I understand that he was Swiss but he does not appear in 1901 census nor in the directories for 1905 and 1911 which would imply he came here after 1911. A Henry N Stauber was born in Sheffield in 1922 but to date I cannot find any other information.

Galena

Galena

Henry N Stauber volunteered for service with the RAF during WW2.  Sadly he was killed 22 March 1945 in Avro Lancaster PB521 of 97 Squadron. Flight Sergeant Stauber was the Wireless Operator 

Stauber N - International Bomber Command Centre (internationalbcc.co.uk)

Lest we forget