Sign in to follow this  

Crystal Peaks UCI to close

Originally posted by "Anonymous"

THEY SHUDNT CLOSE IT CAUSE IT IS THE ONLY CINEMA THAT IS NEAR WHERE I LIVE AND IM NOT GOIN TU MEADOWHALL 2 C A FILM :evil: [/b]

I agree, out that way there isn't anything remotely close. Keep it open.

UGC and the Odeon are a tram ride away

Originally posted by "RPG"

UGC and the Odeon are a tram ride away

What if you live at Woodhouse or Handsworth?

then the odeon is mearly a bus ride away

I don't think it's down to whether Crystal Peaks was 'old and outdated' or that better cinemas are 'a bus / tram ride away'.

I happen to think that Sheffield City Centre is old and rundown. By this logic, do we decide to close it down and catch a bus to Leeds or Manchester?

I was staying in Carlisle a few weeks ago and they have two cinemas both in the city centre. A modern Warner Village and a really old family run cinema. I went to the family run one. It might not have been as modern as the UGC but it was about three pounds cheaper for the exact same film.

Sheffield had some great cinemas, almost one in every suburb until the 60's when they turned to bingo halls. Lets not let the big companies dominate and kill off a great local cinema.

Originally posted by "Anonymous"

THEY SHUDNT CLOSE IT CAUSE IT IS THE ONLY CINEMA THAT IS NEAR WHERE I LIVE AND IM NOT GOIN TU MEADOWHALL 2 C A FILM :evil: [/b]

Messages in all capital letters is considered aggressive shouting on newsgroups and forums.

I understand your frustration at it closing. Of course I have a car so it wasn't a consideration. Unfortunately though, cinemas are a business and if they don't make a profit they close down. My point was that it's hardly surprising it's lost money, because it's old fashioned and poorly designed, with basic seats etc and people have voted with their arses and gone to the far superior UGC.

Originally posted by "alchresearch"

I don't think it's down to whether Crystal Peaks was 'old and outdated' or that better cinemas are 'a bus / tram ride away'.

I happen to think that Sheffield City Centre is old and rundown. By this logic, do we decide to close it down and catch a bus to Leeds or Manchester?

No, we go to Meadowhall

Originally posted by "xyZed"sommat[/quote

This post is a reult of gremlins

Originally posted by "xyZed"

Messages in all capital letters is considered aggressive shouting on newsgroups and forums.

I understand your frustration at it closing. Of course I have a car so it wasn't a consideration. Unfortunately though, cinemas are a business and if they don't make a profit they close down. My point was that it's hardly surprising it's lost money, because it's old fashioned and poorly designed, with basic seats etc and people have voted with their arses and gone to the far superior UGC.

Does it make that much difference if the letter are in capitals or not, I think this is been a bit fussy.

Tut Tut,

Whatever happened to correct spelling.??? :(

Originally posted by "Lickszz"

Does it make that much difference if the letter are in capitals or not, I think this is been a bit fussy.

Yes it does matter :) If you want to shout on a forum, you use all capital letters and people not realising this can find others ignoring or abusing them. I just wanted to politely point it out in case the poster was unaware.

Newsgroups and forums are places where people communicate by text only. Studies done on how we communicate show that the overwhelming majority of all communication is through body language and tone of voice. One study said that only 7% of communication was in the words themselves, with 54% being body language and 39% in tone of voice and delivery

This is why there are so many flames and arguments on forums and newsgroups, because communicating well, with text only, is incredibly difficult.

That's why there are many rules called "netiquette", which is important to be aware of if you want to avoid upsetting people, being misunderstood or making common errors that others can jump on. Searching on Google for "netiquette" brings up 443,000 pages so it's a very popular subject.

Many people using forums haven't been told about the netiquette aspect of it and get flamed by more experienced usenet users. I just politely said that it's considered shouting and aggressive by millions of usenet users - which it is.

Here's just one page at random talking about usenet netiquette http://www.ez-net.com/usenet.html and here's relevant quotes from it

flaming - when one user gets mad at another user and replies sarcasm, insult, or nasty comments

shouting - when you type in CAPITAL LETTERS, you are shouting something - don't post in all capitals to a newsgroup... you will experience flaming first-hand!

I hope this post doesn’t come across as arrogant or over necessary, I’m just trying to be helpful :)

"halevan"]Tut Tut,

Whatever happened to correct spelling.???

and what about the inappropriate and excessive use of apostrophes Mr. Halevan? :roll:

I'm sorry, it seems that everywhere one goes, people like placing apostrophes before any "s" they can find!

It seems (seem's!!) that this has turned into another subject, so I'd better comment on the imminent UCI cinema closure:

many postings seem sensible, why not go to Meadowhall or UGC?... and the City Centre is hardly run down, I've not seen so much new development in 20 years!