Abbeydale Grange Review Process

I slag it off out of expereince. It was a joke the whole school. I rememebr [name removed]. What a complete idiot. Instead of decent punishments etc she shortened dinnertime from one hour....to 30 mins...to about 20 mins to stop idiots terrorising shop keepers in the area (always the asians.....sorry guys not racesm, but FACT)

The reason the school turned to crap is the fact that they let it turn into mini pakistan. Very intolerent of the rest of us, we were treated like second class. I felt sorry for the teachers there. THe only one they respected was an asian guy ([name removed] was a really nice guy though so everyone respected him really)

Then there was [name removed] the jesus army guy. wow...just wow. Asians went at him like a crusade. Poor guy...

Now if they ofically classed the school for immigrants only, and had such teachers too.... now that might work.

Perhaps with al lthat land around there they could build a new building for a new standard school. Multi culture...it deosn't work.

The Pakistani lads didn't just terrorise the white kids either. My son is mixed race (Indian:English). Between us we can think of one incident when a white person has exhibited racist behaviour to him (he was called a **** at Junior School), but we've lost count of the number of time Pakistani lads have threatened him / spat at him / ganged up on him / swore at him / and in one instance one of the racist bullies took a knife out of his pocket (and put it straight back but the inference was there).

As he's grown up; 16 now, I've had to re-order all my thinking about how to protect him from such atrocious behaviour. I used to discuss tactics with him about how to avoid racist behaviour from white kids ('cos that's my experience of racism when growing up)l, and we now discuss how he avoids racist racist bullying from Pakistani lads.

It just makes me sad.

My kids go there, and at the risk of upsetting those that keep playing their racist card, we are English and White.

I have asked my kids if they are happy and what they want to do, both say they want to stay, they like it and are happy.

Both are thriving, doing really well. And bearing in mind that the whole of one year group is exactly the same size as the amount of children that another local comprehensive school is OVERCROWDED by in the same year group, I feel no need to move my kids out of Abbeydale and into somewhere that in my opinion is much worse.

Its a good school. Its ok for you lot to slag it off, but how many of you have been up there, spoken to the Head, or had a look round? Not many I bet.

I contacted the council shortly after the original report about the school being under review came out and am now on the parents panel for discussions, etc, when the time comes.

My kids like it at that school, and I am proud to send them there.

Its about the kids at the end of the day, not bigoted adults who just ac ton hearsay.

Just to put you straight as you clearly have not read the post properly (or would know that i have made clear im not racist on a couple of posts) I AM NOT RACIST!!!! I have told stories above that are fact, and i would welcome any other nationality to come on this thread and let us know of racism committed against their own from white people too, of course it happens, and then white people are reprimanded, its not fair that other nationalities get away with it, im pleasde your kids are well settled, but i wasnt giving my kids the option to try, because i know what its really like.... I wouldnt be so proud though if i were you, what with the police being called day in day out..

i must sy that it is very sad to see the once proud school of abbeydale grange which used to have over 1,500 pupils and was very multi cultured even in the 70s and early 80s when i went there reduced to what it is today i know i had many a good year there and yes there was bullying and problems even way back then. for me i would be sad to see the school close but welcome the consultation into what can be done to try and turn the place around

1. Because Shakespeare, Venn diagrams, French tenses, Tudor succession and Ox-bow lakes are of little relevance to first and second generation immigrants.

2. Because a participatory democracy is the biggest fear of those in power.

brilliant.:cool:

i must sy that it is very sad to see the once proud school of abbeydale grange which used to have over 1,500 pupils and was very multi cultured even in the 70s and early 80s when i went there reduced to what it is today i know i had many a good year there and yes there was bullying and problems even way back then. for me i would be sad to see the school close but welcome the consultation into what can be done to try and turn the place around

Not exactly my recollection of that period. Although I personally (though not academically) thrived there, racism/bullying from all communities was rampant and the leadership of the school was poor. It was still in denial about becoming a comprehensive and this was divisive (and actually institutionally racist come to think of it). The School was certainly in decline even then and has never recovered. It is a failed experiment that is costing kids. It should be consigned to the past and something new, relevant and credible put it its place

Not exactly my recollection of that period. Although I personally (though not academically) thrived there, racism/bullying from all communities was rampant and the leadership of the school was poor. It was still in denial about becoming a comprehensive and this was divisive (and actually institutionally racist come to think of it). The School was certainly in decline even then and has never recovered. It is a failed experiment that is costing kids. It should be consigned to the past and something new, relevant and credible put it its place

i thought the head teachers ... miss williams mr cooper and mr massey ran the school with an iron hand i lost count of how many times i got the slipper or the cane lol i did not think it was that bad with the bullying there was the odd case of name calling but have heard worse nowadays .. in the time i was there from 1977 until 1981 there were a lot of carribean and a few asain pupils but nothing like it is today. it would be a shame if the school did close

To go back to Rainbelles point about how do the children who go to to Abbeydale Grange at the moment feel... angry, scared , let down etc etc it is amazing what afront page spread from the "Star" can do. To the other parent who said her children was doing alright at the school I have to agree -so is mine. To the person who said it depended on being the lowest common denominator I have to disagree as I have said on this forum before the school has a "gifted and talented" sector. (academic). Personally I think its time to stop scapegoating this particular school and maybe look at the wider picture of education in Sheffield.....

Im sorry to here about abbydale , i do fear the worst for the school im sorry to say

Im a parent fighting to stop a school closing -wisewood ,one of the best in sheffield and is a category 1 school.

it really is bad, i know a number of supply teachers who flatly refuse to go there