Any info on the latest route for the no. 83 bus from town to Ecclesfield?

This pathetic little service has been run for 3 years now and still does not cover its costs. What do you want? Stagecoach to keep it on as you are to idle to fold your bratmobile? If you want a sustainable service it costs money. First charge fares that are in accordance with a sustainable service.

By the way, the road traffic act does still require you to fold your buggy once it is on the bus. The bay you park it in is for wheel chairs not bratmobiles.

It may be a pathetic little service to you but to some of us that aren't lucky enough to own a car at present, it has been a very convenient form of getting around for the past couple of years with or without our 'bratmobile'. It's nothing to do with being too idle to fold the pram. It's a convenient service which happens to run frequent and to the places people want to go. (And yes it's cheaper so thats a bonus). And if the bay in which we park our PRAMS is only for wheelchairs, it should state so instead of stating that buggies should be folded if the space is required for a wheelchair user. Oh and 90 per cent of the drivers on Stagecoach are ok as well, they speak instead of grumbling and chucking your change at you, like A LOT of the First drivers.

Who do you work for, First? Whats up? Stagecoach nicking First's customers and peeing you off? Anyway, whatever.

At the end of the day, if this service is removed, we realise there's not a lot that we can do about it, but it will be missed.

what do people catch on Sundays when stagecoach dont run ????? stagecoach only run if money is to be made

Good question shefflad - I personally only really have the no.7 (run by First) on a Sunday (unless I want a 10 min hike to another bus stop where more buses stop) which is one per hour. 3 Sunday's on the trot I went for the no.7 before Christmas and it never showed up so I either ended up walking to the bottom of the estate for another bus (ok in summer but when there's ice all over not so good) or going back home and waiting until the next one is due. Which is the point I am trying to make - the no.7 (on the firshill estate) is totally unreliable and the 83 has proved to make such a difference to people.

People call first group i know its some times a little hap-hazard

But it runs buses 7 days a week approx 22 hours a day ..stagecoach are only here for the quick buck that's why it only runs 6 days a week on average 12 hours a day and if it could it would only work on the peak times

People also criticize the high fares but running buses which some times carry nothing in the evening has to be paid for by some one some people just ain't happy what ever they do

Who do you work for, First? Whats up? Stagecoach nicking First's customers and peeing you off? Anyway, whatever.

At the end of the day, if this service is removed, we realise there's not a lot that we can do about it, but it will be missed.

I do not work for first, If I did I would not be concerned by the half dozen or so passengers that the 83 is taking away.

I personally would like to see the 83 kept on and stagecoach continue to lose loads of money, but sadly it looks like they have woken up at last.

Never mind, with the current level of competence there they will probably come up with another white elephant. Lets hope so.:rolleyes:

It's nothing to do with being too idle to fold the pram. It's a convenient service which happens to run frequent and to the places people want to go. (And yes it's cheaper so thats a bonus). And if the bay in which we park our PRAMS is only for wheelchairs, it should state so instead of stating that buggies should be folded if the space is required for a wheelchair user. Oh and 90 per cent of the drivers on Stagecoach are ok as well, they speak instead of grumbling and chucking your change at you, like A LOT of the First drivers.

Most companies allow passengers to place 1 buggie per wheelchair bay as it is easier than trying to get passengers to fold buggies. The point remains that it is still a legal requirement to fold it, and a concession not to. The majority of passengers seem to think they have a right to that space whereas they do not. I even saw one woman trying to bring a massive pram (non folding) on to an 83. She got very rude and insulting to the driver who told her that only folding prams could be carried. (Quite rightly so), and another who said that a wheelchair user would have to wait for the next bus as she could not be bothered to fold her buggy. When she was told she could be prosecuted under the disability discrimination act she called the driver all sort of racist things and got off. The point is that buggy "drivers" do more harm to themselves than good. We are heading for a situation like Edinburgh where they will not carry unfolded buggies now. This action was taken as a direct consequence of the above type of actions.

I did notice one driver on the 83 who spoke good engllish and he was quite polite. Most of the others are much the same as any others. There are good and bad on both companies. I think the cheap fares can often taint your view.

I do not work for first, If I did I would not be concerned by the half dozen or so passengers that the 83 is taking away.

I personally would like to see the 83 kept on and stagecoach continue to lose loads of money, but sadly it looks like they have woken up at last.

Never mind, with the current level of competence there they will probably come up with another white elephant. Lets hope so.:rolleyes:

Ummmm, a good few more than a half dozen or so passengers favoring Stagecoach over First on the routes discussed above, that's pretty obvious watching the buses go past my living room window! So, SENSIBLE-BUS, what's your problem with stagecoach? :huh:

The 83 takes passengers (as footiefreak stated) from firs hill to tesco, to ecclesfield morrisons, to town, and, for workers who live on there, who use public transport, the #7 turns up as and when, they're going to be stuck on guessing the times. Or they'll have to either walk to the bottom of the estate to firs hill school, or to the top for #7/#33 or maybe that walk just isn't far enough for people who 'DON'T' use this bus route? How about we make them walk to tesco [Top of firs hill estate, right onto shirecliffe road, past meadows centre, to herries round-about then right there to tesco, to cross over to that bus stop? I think I maybe have just stated the exact reason as to why people, like footiefreak, who live on that estate will NOT be in favour of removing that service.

It's over £2 from ecclesfield to town on a 76/97/98, when it's £1.20 on the 83. The 83 is always full of people, some of whom have buggies, which love the route simply because of price and reliability. And I know i'll prob get some clever user who wants to state "Back in the day" you had to fold your buggy regardless. Times have changed, modern public transport allowing flexability to all users. So NER.

The bus companys who are 'complaining' about not receiving enough money from pass users, should complain to the SYTPE and NOT take the route off.

And a little question, just how many people who have replied to this thread saying 'The bus company doesn't make enough' or 'it's always empty', actually use bus service number 83?

I do use the 83 sometimes to the Ecclesfield depot area and I'll refrain from 'back in the day'as i was not born then.

Although I'll be quite smug here and say your 'modern public transport allowing flexability to all users. So NER' is actually de-regulated private transport run by companies that need to make a profit and be able to cover the overheads of a route that just happen to allow the public to use their busses in order to make a profit. Oh did I mention the fact a route can be taken off with only 58 days notice should said company wish to.

Fact is if Stagecoach want to take it off they will regardless of you. If you want examples look at the old Yorkshire Traction network and the new Stagecoach Yorkshire network. Alot of routes withdrawn or cut in half. It seems to be working though so they must have an idea how to run a bus company!

In regard to low floors I can only speak for the 76 northern section but on the old B10M high floor busses they could do the run quicker than the low floor busses now as there were no prams taking up boarding time.

I've been told that from Monday 5th January the no. 83 bus is taking a different route to usual one. Anyone got any info on this?

Thanks in advance :)

Going via France through the Channel Tunnel and then back via the scotish Highlands I belive.

Going via France through the Channel Tunnel and then back via the scotish Highlands I belive.

Nice one - I could do with a cheap day out! All this for £1 - what more could we ask? :hihi:

Bratmobile??

Whoever said something about the wheelchair thing, the 83, can carry two buggies UNLESS space is needed for a wheelchair, which in that case the driver either makes one fold or as I have seen a few times, let the two buggies go to opposite side of the wheelchair bay together. First buses can also carry two buggys, again UNLESS space is needed for a wheelchair, i've never actually been on a first bus when two buggys are on and a wheelchair gets on so I wouldn't know how that'd operate. I'd presume, one would fold.

Most of the time, I fold my 'bratmobile' but it's just easier not too.

I'd suggest, whoever it was who commented about folding, would lend my buggy (+ Baby!) go into town, get around a weeks worth of shopping, tackle every other person in town who doesn't move after 10 attempts of screaming excuse me, does everything they need too, squeeze in and out of shops with all the bags on the pram (shopping baskets ain't big enough), then get on a bus, and fold it. Let's say 10 bags of shopping, a buggy, a baby, showing pass/paying the driver, finding a suitable space for the buggy, finds a seat, then your baby needs a bottle of milk, so you have to fight through your bags using one hand to find the milk, feed the baby, get off the bus, unfold buggy and put all shopping back on it, put baby back in the pram. Then say, that was easier than just being able to leave my pram unfolded in a bay.

If the bays are full, and i'd been shopping, i'd wait for the next bus!