Any info on the latest route for the no. 83 bus from town to Ecclesfield?

In a morning, my sister and approx 12 of her work mates, all catch the 83 as they do on their way home, if the 83 was taken off, they'd have to catch two buses (Either both being First or one First and then the 88 ) which would end up costing them each £5 extra a week. Maybe just 13 people isn't enough.. how about all of my friends who live on wordsworth avenue, who all have buggys, who use the 'low cost' bus to get to town on a daily basis? They'd have to either go into village and catch 76, 97, 98 or go to their usual stops and catch the 53, all of which, are first. Or maybe, when you need to get into town (As I have on many occasions) and can only find a bloody £1!! Not the £1.70 fare which 97/98 charge from southey library to town? Which may I add, has recently gone up to £1.80 (<<RIP OFF!)

And when you see it passing through the city centre would this be from the stop at castle market to the one on angel street? If so, majority people get off it at the market... the 83 starts to get more passengers on board at the top of fargate (Beside Zavvi) & the moor.

The bus companys, as far as I am aware, get X amount from SYTPE, for the national concession passes.

I'm lucky, because I hold a different type of pass which enables me on all buses, but think of firs hill, #7 every 30min (Correct me if i'm wrong) that will get full and delayed, with everyone getting on it, paying, showing passes, more than two buggies on board, waiting for people to fold, then at the worst times, having to bypass stops because it's full.

Sorry Rant over.

I just think, if they took this bus service off, it'd be a disaster for people who rely on that bus.

In a morning, my sister and approx 12 of her work mates, all catch the 83 as they do on their way home, if the 83 was taken off, they'd have to catch two buses (Either both being First or one First and then the 88 ) which would end up costing them each £5 extra a week. Maybe just 13 people isn't enough.. how about all of my friends who live on wordsworth avenue, who all have buggys, who use the 'low cost' bus to get to town on a daily basis? They'd have to either go into village and catch 76, 97, 98 or go to their usual stops and catch the 53, all of which, are first. Or maybe, when you need to get into town (As I have on many occasions) and can only find a bloody £1!! Not the £1.70 fare which 97/98 charge from southey library to town? Which may I add, has recently gone up to £1.80 (<<RIP OFF!)

And when you see it passing through the city centre would this be from the stop at castle market to the one on angel street? If so, majority people get off it at the market... the 83 starts to get more passengers on board at the top of fargate (Beside Zavvi) & the moor.

The bus companys, as far as I am aware, get X amount from SYTPE, for the national concession passes.

I'm lucky, because I hold a different type of pass which enables me on all buses, but think of firs hill, #7 every 30min (Correct me if i'm wrong) that will get full and delayed, with everyone getting on it, paying, showing passes, more than two buggies on board, waiting for people to fold, then at the worst times, having to bypass stops because it's full.

Sorry Rant over.

I just think, if they took this bus service off, it'd be a disaster for people who rely on that bus.

The bus companies do get X amount from SPTE but if you read the reports every bus company in the UK is stating this is not enough to cover the extra OAP journeys so when a bus is full of OAPs financially speaking the bus is running at a loss. Same applies with the £1 and £1.20 fare on the 83. Yes it may be full but the low fare is not enough to sustain it in the long run.

The First fare is more yes but that is more likely the level required to sustain the route in the long term.

People coped before the 83 so I'm sure they will cope again if it is removed. After all its pretty much a copy of the 97/98 routes and if the SYPTE get hold of the bus routes and fares as they are wanting to the 83 and 88 routes are likely to be discontinued so the area is not over bussed.

Whether it will be removed I don't know but I have heard both the 83 and 88 routes are carrying less passengers particularly on the northern leg of the routes.

WELL SAID GINA2007!!!!!! - couldn't have put it better myself!

I caught the 83 this morning - NO CHANGE to the route as yet even though the bus stop notices are saying changes are between 5th and 19th of January. When I asked the driver he seemed as confused as me. He mumbled something about it starting next week the 12th of January.

The bus companies do get X amount from SPTE but if you read the reports every bus company in the UK is stating this is not enough to cover the extra OAP journeys so when a bus is full of OAPs financially speaking the bus is running at a loss. Same applies with the £1 and £1.20 fare on the 83. Yes it may be full but the low fare is not enough to sustain it in the long run.

The First fare is more yes but that is more likely the level required to sustain the route in the long term.

People coped before the 83 so I'm sure they will cope again if it is removed. After all its pretty much a copy of the 97/98 routes and if the SYPTE get hold of the bus routes and fares as they are wanting to the 83 and 88 routes are likely to be discontinued so the area is not over bussed.

Whether it will be removed I don't know but I have heard both the 83 and 88 routes are carrying less passengers particularly on the northern leg of the routes.

Just a quick response to you - I can only speak for the people on Firshill Estate, cause that's where I live and have done since 1981. I wouldn't say 'coped' more 'struggled' with buses on this route over the years. And for the first time in many years we have a bus that goes directly from the estate to Tesco - a massive help to lots of people on the estate as we dont even have a shop on the estate for essentials etc. It's just bloody annoying when we finally get a service that has made a BIG difference to the estate and then, off it goes. Oh and it's not a copy of the 97/98 for us - we have the no 7 which arrives as and when (though should be every 30 mins during the week) and it goes nowhere near the nearest shops ie. Tesco and the surrounding shops.

The 83 takes passengers (as footiefreak stated) from firs hill to tesco, to ecclesfield morrisons, to town, and, for workers who live on there, who use public transport, the #7 turns up as and when, they're going to be stuck on guessing the times. Or they'll have to either walk to the bottom of the estate to firs hill school, or to the top for #7/#33 or maybe that walk just isn't far enough for people who 'DON'T' use this bus route? How about we make them walk to tesco [Top of firs hill estate, right onto shirecliffe road, past meadows centre, to herries round-about then right there to tesco, to cross over to that bus stop? I think I maybe have just stated the exact reason as to why people, like footiefreak, who live on that estate will NOT be in favour of removing that service.

It's over £2 from ecclesfield to town on a 76/97/98, when it's £1.20 on the 83. The 83 is always full of people, some of whom have buggies, which love the route simply because of price and reliability. And I know i'll prob get some clever user who wants to state "Back in the day" you had to fold your buggy regardless. Times have changed, modern public transport allowing flexability to all users. So NER.

The bus companys who are 'complaining' about not receiving enough money from pass users, should complain to the SYTPE and NOT take the route off.

And a little question, just how many people who have replied to this thread saying 'The bus company doesn't make enough' or 'it's always empty', actually use bus service number 83?

The 83 takes passengers (as footiefreak stated) from firs hill to tesco, to ecclesfield morrisons, to town, and, for workers who live on there, who use public transport, the #7 turns up as and when, they're going to be stuck on guessing the times. Or they'll have to either walk to the bottom of the estate to firs hill school, or to the top for #7/#33 or maybe that walk just isn't far enough for people who 'DON'T' use this bus route? How about we make them walk to tesco [Top of firs hill estate, right onto shirecliffe road, past meadows centre, to herries round-about then right there to tesco, to cross over to that bus stop? I think I maybe have just stated the exact reason as to why people, like footiefreak, who live on that estate will NOT be in favour of removing that service.

It's over £2 from ecclesfield to town on a 76/97/98, when it's £1.20 on the 83. The 83 is always full of people, some of whom have buggies, which love the route simply because of price and reliability. And I know i'll prob get some clever user who wants to state "Back in the day" you had to fold your buggy regardless. Times have changed, modern public transport allowing flexability to all users. So NER.

The bus companys who are 'complaining' about not receiving enough money from pass users, should complain to the SYTPE and NOT take the route off.

And a little question, just how many people who have replied to this thread saying 'The bus company doesn't make enough' or 'it's always empty', actually use bus service number 83?

Well Said Gina2007!!!!

Well Said Gina2007!!!!

Thank You :)

The 83 might not make any money because it's always catching up to a late 88 taking all the customers :P

I have actually used the 83 from or to eccelsfield or town in the past and it has quite often beem empty or 3 quarters empty and I know drivers who have driven on the 83 and 88 routes and they have told me that the 83 doesnt make as much money as the 88 and doesnt make enough to make it financially viable.

I currently live in Shiregreen where stagecoach used to operate a 37/37a route to meadowhall, since this was took off last year there has not been a direct bus to meadowhall from the bottom part of shiregreen, you either have to walk all way up to concord leisure centre to get a 1 or 2 to meadowhall or catch a bus to firth park and then get a 45, 46 or 17 to meadowhall, but you didnt find me on here moaning, I accepted that the route wasnt financially viable as it was mainly oap and mobility pass holders using it and I understand that bus companies are run as a business and will get rid of financially unviable routes and keep routes that make them a profit.

In regards to the buggy part what would you do if a step entrance bus turned up instead of a low floor bus, you would have to fold your buggy up then and hopefully not moan at the driver when its not his fault, at the end of the day a bus is better than no bus unless you truly need a low floor bus because you are disabled and need to get your wheelchair on the bus.

Well said stephenr, a man with sense. I believe its less than a pound the pte give the bus companies for each mobility or oap pass holder they carry, which is why certain routes run at a loss.

I dont think offering the 50p student fare helps either as then if you get a full load you are more likely to get half or more than half of that full load being students and therefore only paying 50p and not a full fare, so the route is again then losing money.

I have actually used the 83 from or to eccelsfield or town in the past and it has quite often beem empty or 3 quarters empty and I know drivers who have driven on the 83 and 88 routes and they have told me that the 83 doesnt make as much money as the 88 and doesnt make enough to make it financially viable.

I currently live in Shiregreen where stagecoach used to operate a 37/37a route to meadowhall, since this was took off last year there has not been a direct bus to meadowhall from the bottom part of shiregreen, you either have to walk all way up to concord leisure centre to get a 1 or 2 to meadowhall or catch a bus to firth park and then get a 45, 46 or 17 to meadowhall, but you didnt find me on here moaning, I accepted that the route wasnt financially viable as it was mainly oap and mobility pass holders using it and I understand that bus companies are run as a business and will get rid of financially unviable routes and keep routes that make them a profit.

In regards to the buggy part what would you do if a step entrance bus turned up instead of a low floor bus, you would have to fold your buggy up then and hopefully not moan at the driver when its not his fault, at the end of the day a bus is better than no bus unless you truly need a low floor bus because you are disabled and need to get your wheelchair on the bus.

I knew i'd get someone reply about the buggy part. Its called modern day, the 83 doesn't run any non low floor bus, and please, spare me the 'Actually, i've seen loads of 83's with steps' cause my [ex] partner drives those buses and the drivers aren't allowed to operate 83's on a non low floor. Oh and if one driver did have a bus with steps, i'd simply wait for the next one, if I had bag's etc on the buggy or my son was asleep or i'd fold if not. Low-floor's are made for easier access and for wheelchairs.

And about moaning about buses, I have a voice (Fingers?) to express my opinion on the subject. Sorry that you didn't do that, I couldn't have forced you to express your opinion nor can I turn back the time for you to do so either.

And if the thread is read back, I was just talking to footiefreak on the subject, you voiced (typed) your opinion, I simply replied. No harm done, eh?

I knew i'd get someone reply about the buggy part. Its called modern day, the 83 doesn't run any non low floor bus, and please, spare me the 'Actually, i've seen loads of 83's with steps' cause my [ex] partner drives those buses and the drivers aren't allowed to operate 83's on a non low floor. Oh and if one driver did have a bus with steps, i'd simply wait for the next one, if I had bag's etc on the buggy or my son was asleep or i'd fold if not. Low-floor's are made for easier access and for wheelchairs.

And about moaning about buses, I have a voice (Fingers?) to express my opinion on the subject. Sorry that you didn't do that, I couldn't have forced you to express your opinion nor can I turn back the time for you to do so either.

And if the thread is read back, I was just talking to footiefreak on the subject, you voiced (typed) your opinion, I simply replied. No harm done, eh?

Two of my friends have driven the 83's, so am well aware that it is a rare occurance that a non low floor vehicle would operate due to the SQP, as they would have to inform the relevant authorities that they were breaching the SQP.

I didnt voice my opinion to the company at the time and wouldnt now either as due to the fact I have family and friends who work for Stagecoach UK bus, some of who have worked at eccelsfield depot I know it would be pointless doing it, as the decisions about which routes get cut are made well before they are publicised and if a route is not making a profit stagecoach will get rid of it as they are a company running a business to make a profit.