Octopus Cafe at Handsworth

Did you go in the Octopus in the middle/late 50's?

Was the Octupus Cafe the one on the dual carriageway just below the traffic Island (now the parkway)?

I went there with my motorcycle pals in the period 1959 to 61.

Yes that was the one suffolk.

If you was a biker I'm sure you will remember the Harvey,s,Fred Bellamy,and Ivan Pickles who were regulars in there at that time.

Was Ivan Pickles June Pickles Brother?

I lived on Handsworth Road a little way down from the Plaza Cinema and used to go in there with Colin Hope Mick Davidson & Patrick Mead.

My name is Mel Deakin

Mel are you in the new book that has been printed on Brook school ?.In 1960 I started work at the Co-op on Bramley Ave I remember Mick Davison well and Colin Hope can't remember Patrick Mead though your name is familiar but just cant place you. I remember Roger Harvey, Ivan Pickles and Fred Bellamy my hubby is Richard Hill and he used to knock about with them also Harry Hattersley and Sam Smart.

Hi Mel,

yes June was Ivans brother,lived somewhere on the triangle estate.

Hi Silly I seem to remember your husbands name but can't put a face to the name,although I must be a few years older than you,as I started working in 1956.

I see Sam Smart now and again when I go fishing(in summer)lol.

My name is Stan Poole

Silly what is the book that you mentioned is it available to buy and if so where.

Mick Davidson worked on the Co-Op mobile stores after leaving school and earned really good money. I was doing an apprenticeship and earned peanuts. He had a brand new 250cc BSA C10 and I had a clapped out old two stroke.

At Brook school I was in a skiffle group called the Five Rivers organised by the music teacher a lady whose name I forget. At the height of our fame? we played at the Locarno Ballroom in Sheffield.

Me and my mate used the Octopus cafe a lot on Saturday mornings in the early 80s,it opened at 0700 and was handy to park two drawbars (four-wheelers with four wheeled trailers) across the road.A rayt nice chatty lass used to run it and the snap was good.Then we could turn up the slip road and down the Parkway to the M1 and over to Maltby,clocking off another night shift.We used Butlers at Brook Hill as well but it was a bit iffy parking two wagons there sometimes.:(

Not been down that end for years,is the Octopus still going?

Roger harvey lives in handsworth still hes not too well though, reduced to a mobility scooter, his freind jean graham sister of dave, rogers ex wife dinah also still in handsworth and fred bellamy round near the white rose.

I used to go in the Octipus cafe. I lived on Chestnut Avenue on the Triangle Estate at Handsworth. I remember most of the people you have talked about including stn741,col13 & suffolk boy, I know silly's hubby but can't place her. On Friday 22-05-09 my wife and I went back to Handsworth to see how the old place had changed, took some photos then called in to Handsworth Post Office and bought the book that silly was refering to, its called "Brook Secondary School 1954-1989" it is priced at £8.99. We did buy the last copy but the post mistress said she could possibly get more copies.

Ah well,well

Me and my friends used the cafe every night in the early 60's the owners husband was an AA patrol man