Jordanthorpe school 1965 - 1969.

I attended Jordanthorpe the first year it became a comprehensive - Sept 1969. Miss Prebble was head then and scared us all to death by turning up to the first assembly in her university gown! We had to commute between the North and South buildings and it was not fun in the depths of winter scurrying up and down the path that ran parallel to Dyches Lane. Does anyone remember the art teacher that drove the bubble car? I also remember with great affection Mr White and Mr Grenville. What about the over the top music teacher Miss Wood? I enjoyed school, so how come I left with the minimum of qualifiactions and had to go back to school when I was 40 to get a good job? My primary school was Lowedges but I remember it being Bradway County when I first went there. I grew up on the Lowedges (Lowedges Drive and Lupton Road) and still go back regularly. It is so sad to see the way it has gone down hill. I dont remember it being that way at all.

Wow, I was searching the net and found this forum, used to go to Jordanthorpe, left at 16 in 1973, thanks for the memories, Chalky White was a blast, any one remember the female art teacher blond tall, taught around 1969, she sed to pull your hair next to your ear if you misbehaved.

I lived at Ormond Rd jordanthorpe, does anyone know of these people:

Andy Sissons

Dave Stepniak

Mark Coe

Vicki Stanley

Lorraine Stanley

Best of health, Roger Turney

Wow, I was searching the net and found this forum, used to go to Jordanthorpe, left at 16 in 1973, thanks for the memories, Chalky White was a blast, any one remember the female art teacher blond tall, taught around 1969, she sed to pull your hair next to your ear if you misbehaved.

I lived at Ormond Rd jordanthorpe, does anyone know of these people:

Andy Sissons

Dave Stepniak

Mark Coe

Vicki Stanley

Lorraine Stanley

Best of health, Roger Turney

was mark coe nicknamed cogg ?.

I lived on hazlebarrow drive .

did you know

lee platts .

tony crapper.

glenn froggatt.

ian geddes.

brian trigg.

ronnie savage.

ross froggatt.

wayne kitson.

rob kitson.

brod howell [off ormand road].

chris chadwick[off ormand road]

and loads more too mant to mention .

After coming down from Scotland in 1956, I was at Jordanthorpe 1957 - 1963.

Head and deputy head: messrs. Adams and Rookes

French language: chalkie White

Sports: 'Hawkeye' - Newton? Hawthorne?

At age 15, we sat RSA examinations and the following year, GCE O levels, for those who wanted to stay on.

Living in Norton Lane, most people I knew were in Greenhill and Woodseats. My social loop included Bob Grimbley, Donald Corbey, Peter Wragg, Don White, Dave Jenkinson, Stuart Stenton, Angela Brindley. We got up to all sorts of mischief in the fomer aerodrome and the former prisoner of war camp.

Yes i remember school with fond memories, trying to ski in graves park with the gang and going to the Norton Youth Club. I never went to the aerodrome tho,or prisoner of war camp.

was mark coe nicknamed cogg ?. Yes

did you know

lee platts . yes

tony crapper. looking for Tony

glenn froggatt. and all his brothers and sisters

ian geddes.

brian trigg. Yes

ronnie savage. yes

ross froggatt. yes

wayne kitson. yes

rob kitson. yes

chris chadwick[off ormand road] yes

I live in the US now and listen to americans talk about how easy everthing was for them,

when I tell stories of my life on Jordanthorpe they do not believe the stuff we got up to,

Rowlinson youth club, I remember the old barracks behind the school, the wheat fields before they finished Hazelbarrow area of Jordanthorpe.

All the underage drinking in the Berni Inn at meadowhead, and in the pub on the 'thorpe

we used to thinks fags' were breaking the rules, imagine if we had pot then.

I attended Jordanthorpe the first year it became a comprehensive - Sept 1969. Miss Prebble was head then and scared us all to death by turning up to the first assembly in her university gown! We had to commute between the North and South buildings and it was not fun in the depths of winter scurrying up and down the path that ran parallel to Dyches Lane. Does anyone remember the art teacher that drove the bubble car? I also remember with great affection Mr White and Mr Grenville. What about the over the top music teacher Miss Wood? I enjoyed school, so how come I left with the minimum of qualifiactions and had to go back to school when I was 40 to get a good job? My primary school was Lowedges but I remember it being Bradway County when I first went there. I grew up on the Lowedges (Lowedges Drive and Lupton Road) and still go back regularly. It is so sad to see the way it has gone down hill. I dont remember it being that way at all.

Just found this thread - happy days.

I should have started Jordanthorpe in '69 but was in hospital so I didn't start until '70. As I'd missed a year I was held back and had to work my way up to the second year. I remember walking across the field between both buildings before they built the path - it was horrible in winter especially when the field had been churned up by the football/rugby/hockey etc teams. I also remember Miss Wood. I was in the group with no sense of music so she used to play her classical LPs - I still love Peer Gynt, Fingal's Cave and The Planets Suite. I remember Mr Biggin and the trip to see the Tutenkahmum exhibition in London. I also remember cookery and the meal I had to cook for the staff - toad in the hole followed by pineapple upside down pudding with custard. Never got anywhere with sewing although I do remember the sewing teacher making us observe the two minute silence one November 11th. The memories are flooding back - the drama teacher Mr Beech gave the class some fencing epees one day, luckily it was a bloodless lesson. Then there was the school production of 'The Mikado'. Other teachers - Mr Grenville, Miss Castledine (I think she married the RE teacher), Mr Stocks, Mr Porter, the biology teacher who added to human biology as she was pregnant at the time, the teacher who I thought looked like the actor Darren Nesbit. Of course Miss Prebble and Miss Upperdine. I could drone on and on and on, but I won't.

Remember the days of the old school yard, we used to laugh a lot.

Edited by chimay

Hi, Just came across this site, I left Jordanthorpe School in 1968 and lost contact with a few of my old pals. If anyone knows any information I'd be interested to know.

My name is Melvyn Bilbey ( I lived in Greenhill ) looking for

Christopher Gebhart

Geoffrey Gillman

David Hadwick

They are the ones that spring to mind. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, left jordanthorpe in 1962, so may be a bit early for you, but a lot of the teachers names ring a bell with me although I am bad with names. Girls school wasn,t ready when I first went there but was opened shortly after. My first year was spent in the annex at greenhill, or was it Bradway. Told you I was ad with names. Live in Spain now. Anyone remember my era?

The blond art teacher was called Miss Nicel. She was still there in 1970 when I started and left about 1972 to take a post in Wakefield.

was mark coe nicknamed cogg ?.

did you know

lee platts .

tony crapper.

glenn froggatt.

ian geddes.

brian trigg.

ronnie savage.

ross froggatt.

wayne kitson.

rob kitson.

chris chadwick[off ormand road]

Hi Alex Just found this thread.

Know all these names. Used to live at Number 54 Hazelbarrow Drive. Lee Platts came to my wedding in 1981 but havent seen him since. Been in touch with Brian Trigg via Friends reunited. Do you remember the Waddingtons? I'm sure you and I always found a reason for a scrap way back then!! Hope I havent got the wrong guy. Great days, hope all is well

Hi Alex Just found this thread.

Know all these names. Used to live at Number 54 Hazelbarrow Drive. Lee Platts came to my wedding in 1981 but havent seen him since. Been in touch with Brian Trigg via Friends reunited. Do you remember the Waddingtons? I'm sure you and I always found a reason for a scrap way back then!! Hope I havent got the wrong guy. Great days, hope all is well

Hiya Barry how are you ? Yep I remember the waddingtons lived oposite your back garden. I remember fishing in graves Park with your dad when he worked there. Patrick Hague off hazlebarrow cres married Jill Gratton your next door neighbour they live in dinnington. Remember Carl who lived next to you ? he had a bad heart, he died a few years back god bless him.

Where have all those years gone ? I am an old grandad now.

Hiya Barry how are you ? Yep I remember the waddingtons lived oposite your back garden. I remember fishing in graves Park with your dad when he worked there. Patrick Hague off hazlebarrow cres married Jill Gratton your next door neighbour they live in dinnington. Remember Carl who lived next to you ? he had a bad heart, he died a few years back god bless him.

Where have all those years gone ? I am an old grandad now.

Years have flown by Alex. Lot of water gone under the bridge since then. I do remember Carl, nice family, who would have thought Pat and Jill would end up together. Dad enjoyed that job at graves park, I only ever remember catching sticklebacks tho' sadly he passed away in 2002, also a bad heart. Mom went last year with cancer god bless 'em both.

I'm not quite a grandad yet, we have one son Marc aged 23, loves 'em and leaves 'em so to speak, don't think we will hear wedding bells for some time if he has his way. Sign of the times I suppose.

Nice to hear from you mate. If you know the whereabouts of any of the names mentioned give us a bell. Cant send a PM until I've made a few more posts.

Take care buddy

Barry