Jordanthorpe school 1965 - 1969.

Hi there anybody on this forum use to go to jordanthorpe secondry modern school from 1965 - 1969 and did anybody live on lowedges from the same time ?

:thumbsup:

I was there at Jordanthorpe from 1962 to 1966.

Adams was headmaster then, Rooks deputy head.My form teachers as I moved through were Biggin, Copley, Sibley and Wragg.

Jim Kirkwood (music)

Walker (RI)

Thompson (Science)

Hauley (games)

Newton(games)

Chapman (german)

I lived on Lowedges too till the 70s when I got married.

Hi albatross. you would have been there just as I was starting my first year.

teachers there yes adams headteacher or batman as was is nickname.rooks deputy head.

mr roberts (english)

mr such ( maths)

mr sibley ( library)

mr wilson (art)

mr Bagley (sience)

mr gibbs (metal work)

mr helliwell(woodwork)

mr wragg ( sience )

mr white ( english)

mr hawthorne ( pe )

miss waite or titty waite ( music ) cant remember the others I had some good times when I was there and some bad ones as well.so you lived on lowedges then you will remember the magpie pub then and the grennel moor then I use to live at the back of the magpie pub in the masionettes I wonder if you knew david greaves and john greaves there mum and dad was deaf.

I went to Jordanthorpe from 1967 -1971. lived on Jordanthorpe though.

Can remember Mr Helliwell very well , small chubby bloke ,tried to teach us girls woodwork. An experience i am sure he never forgot:D

I remember a lot of people from Lowedeges who i went to Jordanthorpe with ( boys& girls). Memories of some very happy times eh:banana:

hi

does anyone remember Kim Harrison who I think went to Jordanthorpe aboy 1968 - 1973?

She lived on Shoreham Street.

Obviously if you know her - pm me and I will give u details so u can tell her who it is who wants to know before I get to findout - if you know what i mean

(Repeat of earlier postings....)

P.J. Adams was head if I remember correctly - a magistrate or JP to boot....

A French teacher (Dave Jessop) and my personal favourite, "Chalky" White, English teacher.

Great bloke - had a thing about all his pupils being able to spell "immediately" correctly......Strange the things you remember!

Also (in my time anyway) a Mr.Sibley, who looked after the library....also liked hiking with a huge rucksack. Often saw him wandering along Pinstone Street, waiting for a bus to take him to Matlock or wherever.....

Also Jeff (Geoff?) Smith, maths teacher.....

and Mr.Walker, R.I. teacher.....

All retired/dead now, I guess...

I left in 67 or 68 - to help you zero in, I was in Ray Ashcroft's class - he went on to appear in The Bill, Corrie, etc.....

...and was it Mr.Wilson (art teacher) who was also known as "Peanut", by virtue of head shape and....er....lack of locks?

I bet the 'boys' will also remember a fellow pupil, Helen Caunt, a stunning looking lass even in her early teens. Went on to appear in Playboy (or Men Only) and eventually joined some band...Had moderate success (in the US) with a version of 'Wild Thing'....

Wish she'd been a wild thing with me.....

whoa riffraff, so you knew my fellow teachers I use to be in MR such's class my fellow mates was ronnie bradshaw,pete bradshaw,richard street,philip knight,phil hydes, gary mills,john tate, or spud as he use to be called, frankie warren,paul ellis,bobby locket,brian ducker,mick degney. MR helliwell use to throw the black board rubber at you if he caught you talking in class and MR wilson or peanut wilson as is nickname was had not many locks on his head.can anybody remember MR wragg he use to smack the back of your hand with a ruler or across the knuckles cant remember who the music teacher was only that we had to learn the full music of the 1812 overture. yes MR addams was a judge or magastrate I can remember him sitting in the juvenile court when I got caught knicking apples as I was at school he didnt recognise me until the following day when I was walking down the corridor he pulled me up and said you boy did I see you in court yesterday yes sir came my reply my office now all i got was a good talking too. I have never knicked anything else since. happy days at jordanthorpe school.

Sorry, Bigkev : your classmates' names don't ring any bells....but

I've tried to recall a few others....

Mr.Haythorn (?) - History

Was Mr.Wragg the Asst.Head?

If so, I remember him being very critical of lads coming to school wearing fur-trimmed parkas....He called them "monkey boys", and went on to give us a lecture (this was at assembly) about fashions. I recall him saying that "mark my words, Oxford bags will come round again....."

There was barely-muffled sniggering at this remark, and he went spare....

The Jthorpe girls' school was still at the bottom field at this time (don't know when they amalgamated) but the wire fence that separated the two schools wasn't up to much!

But Helen Caunt...........Oh........!

If you were lucky, you could hang around the gates and catch her walking (nay, gliding!) up Dyche Lane.....

Sorry - got sidetracked!

Other class mates that I remember :

Ian Bott : Martin Havenhand : Pete and John Fox (twins) : David Higginbotham : John Coupe : Dave O'Brien : Ian Corker : Max Clark.....

Others will come back to me, I'm sure....

Hey guy's, my sister lived with John Tate, and they had a son ,and allthough they split up i do know where John is and how he can be contacted.

The schools amalgamated in 1969, and i remember that every time they mended that mesh fence separating the 2 schools the lads just cut it down again.

hey up. now that name john tate he was in the same form as me we use to call him by his nick name spud tate I havent seen him since I left jordanthorpe school in 1969 I wonder what he looks like now? dont think I would recognise him if I saw him now he use to live down frazer road when he was at school he was big mates with bobby locket and ronnie bradshaw. oh to see my old school mates mind you there is one I wont be able to see not now as he is dead or so I have been told and that is derek burnand he use to live on lowedges when he was younger he burnt down the laundrett that was at the shops where the grennel moor pub is. I shall have to have a venture back up there and see if anything as changed I moved on to lowedges in 1958 and left lowedges in 1970. well topham road that is had some good mates who I grew up with on topham road.

Spud is now fat (still got red hair ,going bald with it ). Still lives in the land of Walter Mitty. Do you remember the other woodseats lads, glen wright, holloway twins, mick biggin,mick cooper, the crookes twins.

Hey what about bob bowler from lowedges & the brothwells & bartholemew's. Loads more i remember as well.

Lowedges park, rowlinson youth club, the lido at millhouses, the fair that came to norton every summer.

They were fantastic times, and i have often run in to the people i went to school with. Some of them live near me & we are still friends now.