Microsoft Certification in Sheffield

Hmm it's a tough one. I would suggest that if you know your PC stuff, save your training budget, just do the sadikhov stuff and get through the (or some) exams. Do the CCNA too and maybe a Prof trail such as Design, (CCDP) or IPT (CCVP) or security (CCSP).

If you can run to it, the CISSP which is easy but expensive (6 hour exam £500)

Also any project management training along with IT stuff will pay dividends - ITIL or PRINCE2. You may get funding for this from the LEA depending on circumstances.

Get Dynagen (freeware) and learn large scale networking with multiple (>10) devices, MPLS, OSPF, EIGRP, PKI, VPNs and CCM express. You can also do some switching with that too.

Understand product lines and standards as reuseability and conformance have become key factors.

Then try and get some contract work (try Hayes) to build your CV, which will allow you to ultimately pick your jobs. You need to snowball your CV, start small let it grow fast before the thaw.

You'll find networking, IPT and security certs much more useful in securing contract work. I've been in a large corp IT doing International network design/delivery for a long (14 yrs + 18 doing other things there) time now, we rarely choose microsoft guys over networking guys. If they have both, MS isn't a decider

Good Luck for 2009

Hmm it's a tough one. I would suggest that if you know your PC stuff, save your training budget, just do the sadikhov stuff and get through the (or some) exams. Do the CCNA too and maybe a Prof trail such as Design, (CCDP) or IPT (CCVP) or security (CCSP).

If you can run to it, the CISSP which is easy but expensive (6 hour exam £500)

Also any project management training along with IT stuff will pay dividends - ITIL or PRINCE2. You may get funding for this from the LEA depending on circumstances.

Get Dynagen (freeware) and learn large scale networking with multiple (>10) devices, MPLS, OSPF, EIGRP, PKI, VPNs and CCM express. You can also do some switching with that too.

Understand product lines and standards as reuseability and conformance have become key factors.

Then try and get some contract work (try Hayes) to build your CV, which will allow you to ultimately pick your jobs. You need to snowball your CV, start small let it grow fast before the thaw.

You'll find networking, IPT and security certs much more useful in securing contract work. I've been in a large corp IT doing International network design/delivery for a long (14 yrs + 18 doing other things there) time now, we rarely choose microsoft guys over networking guys. If they have both, MS isn't a decider

Good Luck for 2009

Very helpful thanks, I am currently doing N+ so maybe concentrate on that will be best option. I will check out all other info though. Many thanks, I appreciate all advice offered.

You could try getting in touch with Business Link South Yorkshire, they may be able to help.