Does anyone know the laws about coaches parking on residential streets?

Hi there Peeps

Happy New Year

Ive got up this morning to find a coach parked up outside my house!

its on the other side of the road to my house but still makes entering my drive or crossing outside my house very dangerous

theres a coach there on more than one occassion so im aware that the driver is obviously visiting someone but sometimes the coach stays there over night

is there anything i can do within the law to stop this coach being parked there

Its not on plus who wants to look out of their window to only be able to see a coach!!

Any advice greatly appreciated

if it's causing a traffic hazard, I think it's the police you complain to

if it's a parking obstruction, I think it's the council

if it has a company logo on it, contact them and find out if it's supposed to be there - I know some companies such as BT don't allow their engineers to park their vans willy nilly - they have to be at a specified address overnight (my uncle was reported when he spent the night at his mum's when on call during his marriage break up :mad: )

Hiya...my hubbys a coach driver and theres no way would he park a coach on the edge of the road!! I agree...ring the firm who the coach belongs to and let them know...they may not be aware the coach is there..and it may not even suppose to be there!! If you dont want to go that far have a quiet word with the driver and let him know its difficult for you to get in an out of your driveway..see what response you get then decide from there your next move...good luck...dont suppose youre going to say what firm it is are you??

just for further information

it is obstructing both a driveway and a junction,

thanks for the helpful comments

as for having a life i have a great one thanks

i just dont want to witness an accident during it thanks

I would call the council/police they will probably want it moving as worst case scenario it could block the route of a fire engine on an emergency call.

Call 101.

Whenever we've had problems with cars/vans on our road they've rung the driver using the DVLA details and asked them to move it. Once they've done back then they normally ring us back and ask if it has been moved.

Fab service.

if it has a company logo on it, contact them ..................: )

The law requires every PCV (ie bus/coach) to carry upon the nearside of the vehicle the registered office of the operator of the vehicle.

End of story providing it is licensed as a PCV the companies name will be on the nearside, there will also be a operators disk (next to the tax disk) that will carry the name as well, but the one on the side will give the address.

Don’t panic if the names aren’t the same as this is NOT necessarily illegal

The law requires every PCV (ie bus/coach) to carry upon the nearside of the vehicle the registered office of the operator of the vehicle.

End of story providing it is licensed as a PCV the companies name will be on the nearside, there will also be a operators disk (next to the tax disk) that will carry the name as well, but the one on the side will give the address.

Don’t panic if the names aren’t the same as this is NOT necessarily illegal

The bus/coach should either be parked at the operators centre or at parking area if away from its base (provided its not privately owned). If it has an operators licence in the window take down the reference number and report it to the Traffic Commissioners

North Eastern

Hillcrest House

386 Harehills Lane

Leeds

LS9 6NF

Tel: 0870 606 0440

They will contact the owners if its registered. If it is privately owned and not being used for hire or reward it doesn't need an O licence and can be legally parked anywhere. Due to it's size though it should display sidelights during the hours of darkness.

The bus/coach should either be parked at the operators centre or at parking area if away from its base (provided its not privately owned). ..................

Mmmmm think you may be mixing up HGV and PCV law for a PCV you dont have to have a specified parkiing area like you do for HGV's if you look at the licence applications for HGVs for operators in this are they nearly all include steel works premises for when the lorries are left over night after been loaded, as far as Iam aware this does not apply to PCV's , however, the coach as to be parked safetly and legally

The answer depends on the size of the coach and the size of the road.

If it is a full size (12m long) coach you are talking about and you live on a residential road with vehicles parked on both sides, then although it may not be illegal, as an operators myself, I wouldn't expect a driver to park there overnight - it depends on the circumstances - but from the info you have given I would suggest the driver could have found somewhere more appropriate to park, such as a nearby layby or even a bus stop (unused during the night).

Rather than reporting to the Police / Council / Traffic Commissioner, which seems to be a little premature, can I suggest ringing the operator and having a polite conversation with him/her explaining your safety concerns.

Hope this helps.

If there are parking restrictions in place (i.e. single or double yellow lines), ring the Council's Parking Services on 0114 273 6255.

If there are no parking restrictions in place and the coach is causing an obstruction such that other vehicles cannot pass, or you cannot get your vehicle out of or into your drive or a pedestrian with a pushchair or wheelchair cannot pass without going into the carriageway, phone the police, as they can issue Fixed Penalty Notices for obstruction.

It should also have marker lights on the offside if parked overnight.......btw

Don't live near the Middlewood Tavern do you? There's one parked down there regularly....