LAME MP3 Codec Internet Expplorer problem

Is anyone else having the same problem with the 'Lame MP3 Codec' pop-up in Internet Explorer?

When I open a web page which has some sort of flash or video content (even adverts) I get a little pop-up that says:

LAME MP3 codec v0.9.2 - 3.98.2

LGPL Licence

Steve Lhomme + LAME developers

http://www.mp3dev.org/

icon: Lucas Granito

I then have to hit 'OK' to continue

The problems start when I open a new page in a new tab - it crashes the browser.

I've been to the website advertised on the pop-up and Googled the problem with no luck and I don't want to use Firefox, Chrome, Opera or [insert browser name here] but just want to disable this annoying pop-up!

Any help appreciated

Have you tried the K-lite megacodec pack.

There could be a problem with the codec you're using. It may be worth deleting it and then installing the K-lite pack.

I know you don't want to hear it and I'm not wanting to start a war (Rich) but people usually suggest the other browsers because IE really is that poor.

Have you tried the K-lite megacodec pack.

There could be a problem with the codec you're using. It may be worth deleting it and then installing the K-lite pack.

Tried it - didn't work

I know you don't want to hear it and I'm not wanting to start a war (Rich) but people usually suggest the other browsers because IE really is that poor.

I just want to use IE. Plain and simple.

Tried it - didn't work

What OS you on? Version of IE would help too. I'm aware of issues with Flash player and Vista.

Had any recent updates?

I just want to use IE. Plain and simple.

I gathered that by the opening post. It would be nice to know if it does it in another browser.

What OS you on? Version of IE would help too. I'm aware of issues with Flash player and Vista.

Had any recent updates?

I gathered that by the opening post. It would be nice to know if it does it in another browser.

ive NEVER had that problem / pop up.........and i havent used IE in about 5 years

dunno if it means owt but..............

and it always baffles me why people completely refuse to try OTHER browsers, even when they get told how unsecure/good IE is???

i have 4 browsers on here and can use any i want, sometimes two at once...obviously IE is the last one i choose tho :P

ive NEVER had that problem / pop up.........and i havent used IE in about 5 years

dunno if it means owt but..............

And I've never had it either, running various versions of IE, Firefox, Safari and Opera. I think it's less likely an IE problem and more a configuration problem with his specific computer.

and it always baffles me why people completely refuse to try OTHER browsers, even when they get told how unsecure/good IE is???

i have 4 browsers on here and can use any i want, sometimes two at once...obviously IE is the last one i choose tho :P

And it always baffles me why people are so quick to blame IE for everything. Someone asks "My computer won't turn on", normal answer on here "Try Firefox". :loopy:

I reckon it'll probably be this year that the malware writers start attacking Firefox with vengance... and they'll have the advantage of being able to see the source code.

And it always baffles me why people are so quick to blame IE for everything. Someone asks "My computer won't turn on", normal answer on here "Try Firefox". :loopy:

I reckon it'll probably be this year that the malware writers start attacking Firefox with vengance... and they'll have the advantage of being able to see the source code.

1: but you cant deny the vast majority of problems people have "internet wise" IS down to IE, it DOES let nasties in a damn site easier than its competitors......thats my bugbear with it.

2: attack firefox all they like........i barely use firefox these days either :P

Surely the Lame codec is only used when creating an MP3 file? I can't see why IE would need to access this codec for playback.

1: but you cant deny the vast majority of problems people have "internet wise" IS down to IE

Of the 5 internet browsing threads on the front page of Computer & Tech Chat (as I write this), 3 are probably caused by malware, and 2 are wireless networking issues. None of them are definately IE, and it'd be quite difficult to prove any of them were caused by IE without a detailed examination of the computers involved.

it DOES let nasties in a damn site easier than its competitors

It DID let them in easier than it's competitors, but with IE7 and IE8, it's only as bad as its competitors.

The majority of malware these days comes in via social engineering tactics and unpatched systems (which isn't helped by people on this site telling unexperienced users to turn Windows Update off as it will break their computer). The solution to malware is education to avoid social engineering and a regular update regieme, NOT changing browsers everytime there's a slight issue with the internet.

Look at the thread the other day where someone got an email telling him to go into the registry and alter all the IE registry entries to "speed it up". While people get things like that and act on it (good on that OP for asking here first), the problem of malware will not go away, and those emails will target the popular browser(s).

With regards to the security of FF, since FF3 was released on 17th June, there have been 13 critical vulnerabilities which have been patched (Source). Changing browsers from IE does not a secure computer make.

But finally, at the end of the day, without competition in the browser market, we would be where we were with IE5 - no development, no improvements, and that's not a good place. Long live FF, IE, Opera, Safari & all the others. :thumbsup:

(Sorry to the OP to have dragged this off topic)

Security is paramount but functionality and aesthetics run a close second. I use Safari for all sites where I enter access credentials and Firefox for most others plus Camino (Mac only) and Opera for specific areas - that being so that I can have all my bookmarks on the relevant bar rather than having to click on an icon and wade through a big list. (There are shortcuts to this according to the browser but I prefer this method.) If you are a Firefox user - and you'd have to be mad not to be - then you ought to consider changing the dreadful theme it comes with. For what it's worth I use Camifox - a Camino browser theme - one I find clearer than most. Still, there are others - several hundred I believe. Incidentally, in four years of using these on Mac OS X the only issues I've ever had are where sites use non-standard code - usually Microsoft-specific rubbish - and where that's the case I never visit them again.

Surely the Lame codec is only used when creating an MP3 file? I can't see why IE would need to access this codec for playback.

The key is in that word....it's short for encoder/decoder. While I've never seen it used for playback (decoding) I know programs like VirtualDub can use it for various things.

That's a really odd popup though. Have you tried over at hydrogen-audio.org ? A lot of LAME info there and the developers also post there.